Hello
    I was very tough on the Storm when I first received it in January. Honestly was a POS that didn't do much of anything the way it should have - because the OS was so slow and unpredictable.

I just wanted to report that the the (FINALLY) update to .148 has made it a completely different unit.

- The accel. works predictably and doesn't flip-flop as much
    - QWERTY keyboard in portrait
    - This is the big one - YOU CAN ACTUALLY TYPE ON THE KEYBOARD. Prior to this update it was a struggle to send a simple text message. Now it works like I would expect a touchscreen -- still not as good as many, but good enough.

- The browser is much better as well (in terms of being able to fill in forms, click links, etc. )

I've downloaded some additional 3rd party apps and am actually enjoying working with the phone now. Why they didn't wait until they had a working OS to release the unit is beyond me - they did themselves unbelievable damage releasing something that wasn't ready for primetime IMO.

Phone is still far from perfect, and it's still no match for an iPhone in terms of applications, etc. - but at least it's usable. I'm not embarrassed to tell someone have a Storm.

- Moo
    06-20-09 09:56 PM
    I'm glad your happier, but it sounds like you what you really want is to go get an iPhone.
    06-20-09 10:32 PM
    My Storm is working great. No iphone for me.
    06-20-09 10:35 PM
    I don't own a Storm, but my brother does. He finally installed the OS 4.7.0.148 and happily reported to me similar findings to the OP. Its been over a week and he called me today reporting a couple odd things. He claims the device is randomly rebooting. It did not have this problem prior to upgrading the OS and he has not installed any new applications since upgrading the OS. Has anyone else experienced this?
    06-20-09 10:46 PM
    old news dude. The only downside of 148 is the color banding issue which is really annoying b/c you try to make the phone look cool with a nice theme, but the color banding ruins the new theme.
    06-20-09 10:48 PM
    I have recently done the firmware o/s upgrade. However it has not improved anything. For about the last 6 week prior to doing the upgrade my Storm slowed down, would lock up, and at times putting my finger on a key would cause a different key to be highlighted, example putting my finger on 8 and pushing it would cause * to be highlighted, moving my finger to 5 would cause 7 to be highlighted. Only way I could correct this was to remove battery and reboot the phone. Then everything will be normal for a few days.

Also at times putting my finger ANY place on desk top will only cause folders in first column to be highlighted.

Also, with all this rain I am having a problem using the phone outside. The other day it was raining lightly. I pulled the storm out to make a call. got three small drops of rain on the screen. I could not get the screen to respond in any way to my finger. I wiped screen but that did not help. I have to get back into my car, dry the screen with tissue, and then heat my finger up by the heater to get the screen to respond to my finger.

I need my storm to work. It is a real safety issue if the phone has frozen. Or if a cold finger is not sensed, or pushing one key dials a different key.

I have 8 lines with verizon. I started as a Nynex customer, then we became Bellatlantic customer, and then Verizon. I have had my account (former Nynex acct # 00000000459) since 6 weeks before the New York Cellular system was turned on. I have been a loyal customer. BUT, for the first time I am thinking of moving to another carrier. I moved from my Palm to a Blackberry when Sling demo Sling player on a BB last year. Yet Sling has not delivered a VZW BB player. I am getting the clear impression that VZW is blocking Sling from putting the player on the VZW network. Now I am having such major problems with the storm. And VZW had the phone locked so that the GPS can not be used.

I wonder how many of the 458 accounts before me are still on the same wireline network. I just could be one of the longest customers on the cell system. But I am sad to be in a position of even considering another carrier. But I really am. I need a phone that delivers what they say they are selling you. The Storm is not delivering.
    06-20-09 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD