Is anyone experiencing a 100 to 200 foot delay with vznav or garmin or gmaps.

My location is always lagging behind!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 04:13 PM
    Mine is somewhat off by 50-100 ft. Doesnt matter too much,except I am the worst with directions so every little bit helps.
    02-28-09 04:26 PM
    VZNav has been running horrible for me on .109. It lags, and for some reason it opens ALOT by itself.

After I run it, and properly exit it, it opens back up after a few minutes. The only thing I can do is a battery pull. It stays closed until the next time I run it. It also eats my memory. Before running it I am around 30MB. After running it I am around 4MB.
    02-28-09 04:40 PM
    So frustrating. And I have the same problem with it just randomly opening as well

02-28-09 05:10 PM
    Is anyone experiencing a 100 to 200 foot delay with vznav or garmin or gmaps.

My location is always lagging behind!

At 60 mph (88 fps), that's less than 3 seconds. No GPS can tell you where you are instantaneously while you are moving. It can only tell you where you were when it last calculated a fix, typically a second or two ago. If you're experiencing that kind of lag while walking, then you've got a problem. At highway speeds, it sounds about right.
    02-28-09 06:41 PM
    Its more than a regular gps I can tell you that...gps should refresh quicker than every 2 seconds....can't argue that

03-01-09 12:52 AM
    I use Telenav and I'm happy with it. True story. I was getting gas the other day and I saw the store manager and a lady looking in the phone book for something. I asked if I could help. Of course they were looking for a business. I entered the business name and it gave me the address, phone number, distance and directions. They were truly amazed.

I personally don't mind if it's off a few seconds as long as it gets me to my destination.
    03-01-09 01:03 AM
    G Maps is great...actually puts me in my place...wait a minute
    03-01-09 01:08 AM
    Its more than a regular gps I can tell you that...gps should refresh quicker than every 2 seconds....can't argue that

GPS update speed is all about compute power. A BlackBerry-based GPS and mapping application might be slower than a dedicated GPS receiver, since the BlackBerry is always doing other stuff in the background that's unrelated to calculating positions and updating the map. But a new BlackBerry might well be faster than an old handheld GPS. It just depends on the processor used.

A Google Search for "GPS update speed" turned up articles stating that typical commercial handheld GPS units update at about 1 Hz. So if you're getting 1-1.5 second updates with your BlackBerry, I think you're getting about as good as you can get with the hardware you've got. A lot slower than that, and something's wrong.

I'm not a GPS expert. If one would like to weigh in on the subject, we could all learn something.
    03-01-09 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD