Okay, without turning this into a "which gps sytem/puck/app is better" thread, my question is fairly simple...

I have been using my free google maps (yes, I know it's not gps on my Verizon system) and I have found it's mapping function very nice - for what it is.

BUT, as far as searching for my local Pizza, Arby's, Chase Bank location, Auto-Zone or whatever, can someone compare the Google maps search versus what VZ Nav offers?

Thanks
    08-14-08 09:05 PM
    I've used GMaps, VZ Nav, and of course BB Maps...

I actually prefer BB Maps for local searches...it's faster and searches from your position (Obviously not GPS with Verizon unless your using a GPS puck) but if you set your cursor to your position and do a local search it's fast and accurate (correct phone numbers)...

Just my two cents...I don't like VZ Nav, it's very poorly programmed, the GUI is awful compared to other maps programs, and the functionality is too limited for me. And it's DEFINITELY not worth $10 a month to me...
    08-14-08 10:45 PM
    I tried out VZN recently on my curve. There seems to be some controversy on this point, but no, google maps doesn't pick up GPS even if you are paying for VZN.

In terms of local search quality, I'd give the nod to google maps. VZN was correct about 90% of the time. Some of the errors included E vs W street type resulting in a several mile error and out of date references. In fairness, google maps was rarely correct when VZN's reference was out of date so I suspect they're both getting them from the same "yellow pages" source. Google maps, however, had the usual google add-ons like user reviews. The maps were of higher quality and had useful features like showing the nearby metro stops. I used VZN more because, without a puck, it new exactly where I was, not just within a mile. To get a good google search, I really had to search on a street address that I could see to set my location then do a local search.

While driving out to my destination, VZN was pretty nice and better than my old Garmin Nuvi. It didn't give me nonstop "turns" when the highway just curved off to the right or left and warned me that turns or exits were coming up at the right spot. It's local search could also be tailored to only find things in the direction that I was going or right along the plotted route which was pretty nice. Some aspects of the user interface were definitely clunky -- like just wanting to see the route (google maps was better here by far).

Updating the nuvi was a $70 CD/year and VZN is $120/yr. For the money, I suppose a puck and google maps (or one of the other free services) makes the most sense economically though I don't know how well they speak to you when driving which is certainly nice.
    08-18-08 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD