Hi Jasonsnider!

Thanks for your continued interest in Poynt!

Just a small correction to your post above. Poynt does indeed integrate with many popular voice navigation tools, including but not limited to VZ Navigator and Telenav. Poynt also allows you to personalize your recent search terms and locations, save favorite theaters, and choose where you want to search from.
    01-22-10 05:19 PM
    I didn't like the ones in the blk berry apps the sound wasn't that great and was really lagging for me. i have had VZ nav for over a yr and I love it Always accurate and never lets me down
    01-22-10 11:58 PM
    I didn't like the ones in the blk berry apps the sound wasn't that great and was really lagging for me. i have had VZ nav for over a yr and I love it Always accurate and never lets me down
    And just think, for that money wasted you could've bought the Garmin or other reputable GPS app for the Blackberry with a one time purchase.

But hey, to each their own right.
    01-23-10 08:55 AM
    And just think, for that money wasted you could've bought the Garmin or other reputable GPS app for the Blackberry with a one time purchase.

For that money wasted, Garmin GPS System is a better choice than VZ Nav.
    01-23-10 03:14 PM
    Is there a way to get a trial Garmin App?
    01-25-10 02:12 AM
    I mean Garmin GPS computer. I think they lower the price to $65 in one of their announcement. The moving map and auto reroute is better than any app because it has internal map instead of relying on server. And it's cheaper than nav apps.

For me, I am happ with the free app.
    01-25-10 02:48 PM
    how are you getting Garmin to work with your Storm 2s? I attempted to do the trial and it says it isn't available for my device? also tried to get Telenav and though it showed my phone in the list, when i selected it it also said device not recognized. one more...lol why is VZW the only F'IN company that doesn't have the MapQuest app?????!?!?!?!!!!
    01-27-10 04:54 AM

I would agree with this to a point...

Looking at stand alone GPS units for my dad, the lower price units don't speak street names like VZNav does.

For stand alone Garmin and TomTom units, you need to pay for updated maps. Yes, TomTom has map share which allows users to share their corrections to maps and can be as a way to get some free updates.

So when you factor that in, $9.99 for VZnav, which updates maps every time you calculate a route, itn't so far out there.

One other thing about stand alone GPS's.. I got my Dad a TomTom. He's not happy with how it routes him. It can plot routes by "fastest" or "shortest".. VZW can also do "easiest".

when I plot a route from his house to mine... if I choose shortest, it takes him on all kinds of "back roads" and avoids the PA Turnpike, I476 and I95. Yes, it cuts about 20miles off the trip, but it extends the time by nearly an hour. The list of streets take reads like a grocery list for a family of 25.

When I plot the route as fastest, instead of taking him the main road out of his development, to RT222 to I78 to RT22 to the PATpk, it takes him about 10 different back roads. But it finally puts him on TPK, I476 and I95. When he gets into Delaware, it keeps him on I95, rather than taking the I495 bypass which is faster. When he gets off the interstate, it takes him a route that has about 15 turns. The list of streets taken reads like a grocery list for a family of 8.

I have about the same experience using the Garmin demo on my BB.

Using VZNav to plot the same route selecting "easiest", it takes the least amount of turns and fewest different streets over the entire trip, and does use the I495 bypass. The result is a most direct route, that takes the least amount of time and effort to drive.

These results aren't just the case for this single trip, but every trip I've plotted so far.
    01-27-10 08:28 AM
    Mark-Venture:

That "easiest" route feature seems quite good. I guess it could be the SIMPLEST route and, yup, sometimes I look at a route and wonder what the heck was the "computer" thinking.

We still have a way to go with gps routing working the way some of our minds would plot a route.

And, you're right - I have not purchased new maps for my TomTom in the two years I've owned it. So far it has worked for me but one day enough new suburbs will be developed and I will be lost. But with the maps on board, it still is faster than any program I have tested on the BB. And it works where DATA is not available which was the case this past summer in Europe in some Dolomite areas.

Tradeoffs. As long as we are aware of those tradeoffs, things are not so bad.
    01-27-10 09:11 AM
    Tradeoffs. As long as we are aware of those tradeoffs, things are not so bad.
    Right, exactly.

Its those trade-offs that differ from each solution, and vary in importance from one user to another, are what make one solution/device better for "jon" vs "jane"
    01-27-10 11:37 AM
    It's very basic but Nav4All works very well for me.
    01-27-10 11:39 AM
    So, I was seeing that Nav4All was to be free until "1/1/2010", but there isn't any info on their website about how much they are charging (if they did start charging). So, how much is it now?
    01-27-10 04:31 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD