Today a colleague showed me the voice recognition features on his Nexus 5 (after I showed him the keyboard comparison between Z30 and iPhone 5s). I was surprised how usable it has become, it was way better that what I remembered how Siri worked. I tried the voice control app on my Z30, it is not bad but lags far behind his Nexus 5.

It looks like when BlackBerry is struggling for survival, at least Google has not stopped their pace of innovation.

How do you think?

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    01-09-14 10:24 PM
    I've used voice to text, Google Now, and the Samsung version of Siri, and all seem to be getting better as the system grows. Google Maps has bit a little more hit and miss, but it's learning. It's a feature I've used more and more, lately, but typing is still something I like to do.
    01-09-14 10:30 PM
    I don't think it's fair to paint BlackBerry in the light that it's far behind any other manufacturer in really any area. All phones will have strengths and weaknesses, and BlackBerry has far more strengths than weaknesses. Sure it need more developers in the BlackBerry World system, but really I think if it had the major apps no one would complain. Android side loading is fine and works quite well but the average person isn't going to understand how to do this, nor will they take the time to learn. So that's really the only area it lacks in my opinion.

In terms of the voice to text I find it to work quite well actually. I think it depends on the level of clarity of which the individual speaks.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 11:36 PM
    I don't think it's fair to paint BlackBerry in the light that it's far behind any other manufacturer in really any area. All phones will have strengths and weaknesses, and BlackBerry has far more strengths than weaknesses. Sure it need more developers in the BlackBerry World system, but really I think if it had the major apps no one would complain. Android side loading is fine and works quite well but the average person isn't going to understand how to do this, nor will they take the time to learn. So that's really the only area it lacks in my opinion.

In terms of the voice to text I find it to work quite well actually. I think it depends on the level of clarity of which the individual speaks.

Posted via CB10
    The voice recognition in BlackBerry 10 is definitely one of the weakest ones compared to its competition.
    It's one of the reasons I hold off getting sayit as it's clear that a lot of reviews can only look to the native voice for comparison and it's not hard to look good against that

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 03:17 AM