Yesterday, I exchanged my 8530 at Best Buy because my none of my GPS app worked reliably. Neither Maps, Sprint Navigation, nor Google Maps worked, except intermittently.

On my replacement 8530 the GPS worked great 100% of the time. That is, until I loaded Vlingo onto the new phone. After that, the new phone started having GPS problems the same as the old one. So I remove Vlingo, and wallah! Now the GPS works 100% again.

Apparently, Vlingo interferes with the GPS on the 8530. I thought I would post this so that no one else has to go through the frustration that I did.
    09-05-10 10:18 AM
    Yesterday, I exchanged my 8530 at Best Buy because my none of my GPS app worked reliably. Neither Maps, Sprint Navigation, nor Google Maps worked, except intermittently.

On my replacement 8530 the GPS worked great 100% of the time. That is, until I loaded Vlingo onto the new phone. After that, the new phone started having GPS problems the same as the old one. So I remove Vlingo, and wallah! Now the GPS works 100% again.

Apparently, Vlingo interferes with the GPS on the 8530. I thought I would post this so that no one else has to go through the frustration that I did.
    You beat me to the post!

I've noticed problems on my Bold 9650 for the last couple of weeks, where it would sometimes take minutes (if ever) for my Bold to lock onto the GPS sats. Since it used to have incredible GPS sensitivity, I was mentally preparing myself to get a warranty exchange, but I figured I'd wipe the device and troubleshoot before going for the exchange. I wiped the device yesterday, and sure enough, that great sensitivity was back after wiping the device. As I reinstalled each app, I would re-test the GPS. Once I put Vlingo back on, the problem came back.

Two bullet points:

• I've used Vlingo for years with no problem, so it must be their newest version(s) (I'm using 4.54)
    • If you want to continue to use Vlingo, you can go into the Vlingo options, and disable the "Location Awareness" option. Everything seems to work fine when I toggle that feature off.

I can't say I've used the Location Awareness feature of Vlingo much, but I wish they'd fix it for that rare occasion where I could use it.
    blaqjack73 likes this.
    09-05-10 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD