This is a question for you Vista experts. For some reason, I get a message; "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this comp. Please contact admin" when I click on a link to a web page from an e-mail.
    Anyone have any ideas why this is happening????
    Please advise.
    01-03-09 01:25 PM
    sounds like someone has put a limitation on your vista user account
    sounds like your not an adminstrator on that pc
    01-03-09 01:28 PM
    sounds like someone has put a limitation on your vista user account
    sounds like your not an adminstrator on that pc
    This is my "personal computer". Its in my basement office. The only "admin" is me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 01:42 PM
    Try going into the settings for the internet browser and see what your security settings/permissions are set at.

Sounds like something isn't set to allow links to be opened.

What browser are you using?
    Last edited by dvdfan2k; 01-03-09 at 01:56 PM.
    01-03-09 01:51 PM
    There is a conflict in which program should
    handle links. To fix it you need to make IE your default browser. To do so, open
    the Default Programs control panel, select "Set your default programs", and
    make sure IE has all its defaults.
    that should fix you right up
    01-03-09 02:00 PM
    We'll......not quit sure what the deal is/was but its fixed. I tried all suggestions and then some. I finely tried re-d/l ie7 hoping it would put back what ever got dislodged. Got a message "ie7 is not supported by 64bit platform". On the d/l page I saw a "fix vista" d/l. Ended up being a reg cleaner program. I ran it and got 200+ issues. I thought before I blow up my pc, I'll try a link from a cb e-mail. Worked like normal.
    Guess it was aliens.

01-03-09 07:48 PM
    This is my "personal computer". Its in my basement office. The only "admin" is me.

There are three user accounts in Vista: Administrator, Standard User, and Guest. 99+% of the time, I log in as the Standard User Doctor Neutron. I rarely use Consigliere, the Administrator account I set up. Surfing as an Administrator under Vista is dangerous. I have many administrator privileges as a Standard User, including "Run as Administrator". I ALWAYS leave UAC on, period.

Are you sure you log in as an Administrator? See "Windows Vista Inside Out" by Ed Bott, et al, pp 407ff.
    01-03-09 09:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD