A serious question since we surf the web on our BlackBerries we are just as accepable to Viruses as any other computer. I got to thinking about this Last night I had to do a system wipe on my father's computer because he got a couple of nasty viruses that killed his computer's load rate.
    How well has RIM protected the BlackBerry against Viruses?
    Does the BlackBerry come with antivirus software, and if so How do we keep it updated?
    What happens to the phone and texting features if a BlackBerry gets a virus?

Have I got you thinking yet?
    Who knows about this and can tell me the reliability of my browser?
    11-17-08 11:14 AM
    You are ok...hackers havent taken the time to develop a virus for blackberries yet
    11-17-08 11:20 AM
    Hey thats good to no I was wondering that myself!
    11-17-08 11:37 AM
    Hey thats good to no I was wondering that myself!
    good to know. I was wondering what the effects of viewing an HTML e-mail and hitting Menu, Get Images, and the box pops up that says "this will expose your e-mail address, are you sure?" were...
    11-17-08 01:33 PM
    the thing is a virus may be out there that noone knows about yet. Nothing is fully secure. However the currrent situation is much like the mac os were macs tend to get less then the pc just because hackers haven't written as many. To say it can't happen could be a lie but to say its a huge problem right now is also not true.

Virus' haven't really hitten the mobile phone market at all much. Its one of those things that we shouldn't be blind to the idea of it happening but it hasn't been a real problem yet.
    11-17-08 02:53 PM
    I know they can't create a blocker for a virus until they find that exact virus, I never knew that viruses had to be directed to certain OS so if the OS makes a difference how about the Processors cause my personal computer has AMD a computer geek from the Military turned me on to AMD back in 04 and I loved the speed but I have never got a virus on my AMD PCs but my old Pentium and my dad's pentium 4 gets loads of viruses I constantly have to redo my father's PC but he refuses to buy a decent virus blocker.
    11-17-08 03:21 PM
    You are ok...hackers havent taken the time to develop a virus for blackberries yet
    You are correct, none as of yet...
    11-17-08 03:25 PM
    I know they can't create a blocker for a virus until they find that exact virus, I never knew that viruses had to be directed to certain OS so if the OS makes a difference how about the Processors cause my personal computer has AMD a computer geek from the Military turned me on to AMD back in 04 and I loved the speed but I have never got a virus on my AMD PCs but my old Pentium and my dad's pentium 4 gets loads of viruses I constantly have to redo my father's PC but he refuses to buy a decent virus blocker.
    Processors have no effect on if you computer can get a virus or not. It's all up to you and your OS. If you go to multiple websites that others would question...You will more then likely stumble onto a virus or 2. Most viruses are solved by simply googling the virus name but still, it depends on where you go on the internet and what OS you have.
    11-17-08 03:49 PM
    guess that why I don't get any I only go to Myspace, ebay, crackberry, a few gun manufacturers sites, car/truck sites and news every now and then.
    11-17-08 03:53 PM
    BlackBerry OS runs on a Java platform. It is pretty damned difficult to develop and deploy a Java program which has all the characteristics of a virus (silent propagation, replication, transmission, etc). The best Java attempts so far have been more like simple Trojans, and rely on social engineering to induce the user to load and execute them.

This doesn't mean BlackBerry is immune, and the rules of safe se^H^H computing still apply. If you don't trust the source don't execute it. If its an unexpected attachment think before you open it without checking. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is too good to be true.
    11-17-08 04:15 PM
    Here's what RIM have to say on this subject BlackBerry Search Results
    11-17-08 05:51 PM
    BlackBerry OS runs on a Java platform. It is pretty damned difficult to develop and deploy a Java program which has all the characteristics of a virus (silent propagation, replication, transmission, etc). The best Java attempts so far have been more like simple Trojans, and rely on social engineering to induce the user to load and execute them.

This doesn't mean BlackBerry is immune, and the rules of safe se^H^H computing still apply. If you don't trust the source don't execute it. If its an unexpected attachment think before you open it without checking. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is too good to be true.
    Good comments.
    11-17-08 05:53 PM
    Here's what RIM have to say on this subject BlackBerry Search Results
    Thank you for that.
    11-17-08 06:06 PM
    Interesting thread.....made me think and wonder.
    11-17-08 08:18 PM
    This topic has come up a few times in the past. If you are worried about this subject then I am sure that a Forum Search (link in my signature) will yield several threads on the subject of viruses on BlackBerrys.
    11-18-08 03:46 AM
    Your processor really doesn't matter for the vast majority of viruses, it is the operating system that maters most.
    11-18-08 10:47 AM
    what about if your computer has a virus...can it transfer into your bb when you're charging it?
    11-23-08 08:48 PM
    The was a post in the virus security forum that the Storm was supposed to ship with a free 30-day trial of McAfee Virus Scan Mobile. My phone did not come with it, did yours? I can't post the link but have the url saved, pm me if you want it.
    11-28-08 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD