I was thinking today that since the BB is "always connected", there's a lot of data getting sent to and from your berry. What's the risk of getting a virus? Anyone ever had one? Is there any sort of BB antivirus out there,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 08:57 PM
    There are no BlackBerry viruses so far. As it becomes a more mainstream, consumer product, it might become a big enough market to be tempting, but it still would not be an easy target. I'm not aware of any BB antivirus software.

It IS certainly possible for a PC-virus to ride on a file that's on your BlackBerry. So BlackBerries can spread a virus that doesn't affect them. Antivirus software on your PC is the solution in that case.

Here's a thread with a lot more on the subject, including RIM's official document: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/viru...ckberry-96230/
    Last edited by JeffH; 11-28-08 at 09:58 PM. Reason: more info, link
    11-28-08 09:51 PM
    thanks for the link, Jeff. It was a passing thought I had today while while dowloading a few things. I feel much more secure now!
    11-29-08 12:23 AM
    I would like to add that mobile phone markets have not been high targets of virus' there has been a few reported but. However I do want to let you know that it is possible that if you add a untrusted application to the device or unverified application and give it permission it may be able to do things you don't want it to do.

However this would be your decision to give it access.

I am yet to hear of this on a BB however it could potentially be possible. So make sure you research your app installs =)

I wouldn't worry about grabbing a virus randomly though.
    11-29-08 06:40 AM
    My wife and I both have Pearls and have had several issues. My wife has two problems: 1) she has issues charging her phone and 2) she has not been able to type letters in months...only numbers. We have tried pulling the battery and simcard numerous times....and it does not work. Any ideas? My phone seems to be starting messenger discussions by itself with various people.
    12-30-08 03:46 PM
    This is just what I was thinking about last evening. Viruses! Thanks so much for the great info!

Cyndy

(Again.....Crackberry Comes Through)
    12-30-08 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD