When I get my hands on the bold (Verizon) I will be playing on the internet a lot, as well as my emails. Is there any issue with viruses on these devises. I;ve never used one.

Thanks for your patience with a newbie
    06-15-08 11:44 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! I search the internet all the time on my bb, and I have never run into a virus. Same with downloading files and applications. I think bb's are pretty safe, but I'm sure someone else here will be able to provide better information than me.
    06-15-08 11:48 PM
    No more than any other computer.. I've never had any issues. Just watch what you download, I guess.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-08 11:49 PM
    Do I install anti virus software? I don't download much, but of coarse will be browsing youtube type stuff.
    06-15-08 11:51 PM
    there is a possibility, but doesn't happen very often... I haven't ever had a virus
    06-15-08 11:52 PM
    I don't think you need anti virus software on your berry - don't be nervous!!

06-15-08 11:54 PM
    I would say that if you can find anti-virus software for the BlackBerry you might want to buy it just to be sure. Do a search. Also, let us know if you find any programs.

06-16-08 01:38 AM
    There have been numerous discussions on the potential threats of attacks on smart phones and the prevention of such attacks by the end users. However, the discussion is still up in the air, and leave the onus on the suppliers and carriers to protect their customers. Albeit.... Common sense should prevail.

06-16-08 02:47 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Virus are one type of malicious code that does not effect BlackBerry. There is no Anti-Virus software because there are no virus.

Rootkits are a totally different story. They are disguised as "free" applications that have to be installed OTA or through the Applications Loader. This falls into the class called Torjans.

Once a malicious Trojan has set up shop, the consequences to BES systems can be devastating. This is the main reason most corporate users are prevented from installing applications.
    06-16-08 11:22 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Virus are one type of malicious code that does not effect BlackBerry. There is no Anti-Virus software because there are no virus.

Rootkits are a totally different story. They are disguised as "free" applications that have to be installed OTA or through the Applications Loader. This falls into the class called Torjans.

Once a malicious Trojan has set up shop, the consequences to BES systems can be devastating. This is the main reason most corporate users are prevented from installing applications.
    What about to a BIS system?
    06-28-08 03:13 PM
    Does anybody know if BES MDS can be setup to filter malware for enterprise users?

At this time there isn't a big enough market for such solutions. Beside BBProxy there hasn't been any higher profile malware for the BlackBerry. However, given its corporate appearl, you can best malware of the industrial espionage economic-malware will be fast coming.

I'll be curious to see how HTML email with Javascript does and if we start seeing XSS and other web-bourne exploits explode.

I have no idea really but I'm curious to find out now.
    06-28-08 03:36 PM
    What about to a BIS system?
    BES implies the assets of a large corporation or government agency are put at risk.

BIS is simplified version of the same software running on your carriers network. If a trogan were to gain access to a BIS server, there would not be any sensitive data at risk.
    06-28-08 03:41 PM
    Bottom line you shouldn't run into any problems.
    06-28-08 03:58 PM
    I've been told that companies that provide IPS systems, like ISS and Sourcefire, are looking at providing modules specific to monitoring systems like ActiveSync and BES for anomalies that indicate a device has been compromised.
    That's good to hear. I think it's naive to expect the wave of no-major-virus-outbreak to hold too much longer. Much like as MAC market share increases and you'll see more malware activity against MACs.

I've got a contact at IBM, who bought ISS, maybe they can help me find more details. Thanks!
    06-28-08 04:09 PM
    There are no virus on Blackberries - period. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know what they are talking about. "Rootkits", btw, are an attack on the Windows kernal, and have nothing to do with a JVM.

The reason corporations, like mine secure their computers from employee software installation is to reduce liability, and reduce IT costs. It is much easier to troubleshoot the system you know then an ad hoc one specific to the user.

There are no virus due to the layered security of the device and the requiredment that code be signed. If a virus were programed, RIM would immediately know who they were and revoke their code signing key.

06-28-08 09:19 PM
    There are no virus on Blackberries - period. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know what they are talking about. "Rootkits", btw, are an attack on the Windows kernal, and have nothing to do with a JVM.
    Code signing doesn't prevent malware from being deployed. And like a lot of Wintel "virus" outbreaks it starts with users being socially engineered into dropping something onto their device or using their device inappropriately.

BBProxy may not have been a classic virus but now'a'days not much of anything is. A lot of the time it's a combination of social and misconfiguration/trust attacks that don't depend on an actual flaw in the code. Say ActiveX trusts on the wrong sites.

There is not a malware threat "today" on the BlackBerry platform but I stand firm that it's silly to think we're not going to see it.

With that said, a decent BES admin and policy should prevent most anything in the corporate environment until a real fundamental flaw is found. But I'm curious to see what happens with the unmanaged devices.

Now, a question for you, did RIM change the defaults so that all code has to be signed or still just code using the most "sensitive" APIs? And that also triggers a question about their validation of people/entities that do the signing regardless of their ability to revoke or alert the populace. Unless they do some proper identification/registration checking (which I think would be bloody hard in some countries even if they had process) then I'm not sure that would prevent anything in-and-of-itself.
    06-28-08 09:32 PM
    OK, this may be quite dumb, but BBIronMan,
    WTF did you just say.
    06-28-08 09:35 PM
    OK, this may be quite dumb, but BBIronMan, WTF did you just say.
    What I guess I'm trying to say is that we're going to get caught up in semantics. If you want to ask if there is a need or even availability for a BlackBerry antivirus solution today? No. Clearly no.

Is the BB immune? No. Clearly no.

Attacks don't come based purely on identity or purely on code flaws or purely on design flaws or purely, etc. etc.

And with such a valuable target with nice juicy entry points we're going to see something more aggressive eventually. And I think soon.

And to annoy the issue further is the infamous rootkit which we've seen misrepresented at least twice in this thread so far.

I best step back from this thread as it'll annoy me further to see anything more.

Scotch. I've been meaning to drink some scotch all day........
    06-28-08 09:41 PM
    When I get my hands on the bold (Verizon) I will be playing on the internet a lot, as well as my emails. Is there any issue with viruses on these devises. I;ve never used one.

Thanks for your patience with a newbie
    How about this for an answer......

Of all the smart devices the one that is likely to stay the safest, longest, and get out of any bind the fastest and most completely is the BlackBerry.

There you have it..... BB away. I've trusted mine with critical data for nearly a decade and it's evolved accordingly.
    06-28-08 09:49 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Man I couldn't have have said it better myself!!!
    06-29-08 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD