I know this could be a dumb question, but as one of my e-mail accounts receives a lot of spam, some of it is send to my Curve, and I assume that as the virus are programs designed for Windows OS it doesn't matter if I open them in my BB. Am I right ?
    Thanks !
    P.S.- as usual, I don't do this questions to people at my Carrier's support area because it seems they don't know anything.
    04-23-08 07:18 AM
    I don't think you curve would even open the attachment. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you can view certain files and open hyper links in the browser, but I am pretty sure you can't e-mail your self a blackberry app and run it?

That being said they might be able e-mail you a link to a hacker website and some how have you download an app OTA, but you would probably have to click run.
    04-23-08 07:43 AM
    Viruses don't run on Blackberry's, period...
    04-23-08 09:56 AM
    BlackBerry Devices are Vulnerable, Virus Researcher Proves

BlackBerry Devices are Vulnerable, Virus Researcher Proves � Telecommunications Industry News

BlackBerry handhelds are vulnerable to Trojan horse viruses, proved researcher, Jesse D�Aguanno, at the Defcon hackers conference last week.
    D�Aguanno developed and demonstrated a malicious application that used the BlackBerry wireless email device to gain access to corporate servers.
    �The BlackBerry hack was written to show that while these devices are often not treated with the same concern as PCs, they can be equally as dangerous,� commented D�Aguanno, who is a research director with Praetorian Global.
    �When users think of the BlackBerry�s security, they are too focused on protecting the device�s data, and tend to ignore its networking capabilities.� he went on to say. �It�s a computer that has constant access to your internal network.�
    BlackBerry manufacturer, Research In Motion, says that these kinds of viruses cannot be transmitted by email, meaning that a user would have to be tricked into downloading malicious software for there to be any risk of damage.
    As more and more customers use their BlackBerry devices for web surfing, however, the risk of handheld malware is steadily increasing. Users need to remember that the wireless email devices of today are in just as much danger as other computers, and should be treated accordingly.
    04-23-08 10:39 AM
    Any platform can be vulnerable. The likelihood of someone exploiting a BB is very slim.
    04-23-08 10:55 AM
    Any platform can be vulnerable. The likelihood of someone exploiting a BB is very slim.
    Yes, I know any platform can be vulnerable, but there are ACTUAL BB virus(es) ???. On the other hand, I was thinking in virus designed for Windows which come attached to e-mails, so when you open an e-mail with one of those know virus I guess it won't "hurt" your BB ?!?!?!
    04-23-08 07:20 PM
    correct, such user writing the said virus would have to know the code and what to attack. With the RIM OS. vs. Mcrosfot more people use Windows vs. RIM's os so hackers and virus people go after that coded first. it's not like the code is hard to figure out. they just don't waist their time. Such user writing the virus would have to decide on what to attack. Now if a virus is out there that says if it get forwarded to you and you open it. Well it really won't do anything to your BB, why cause it's may have not been written to attack that specific OS. with that and agreeing with other users, it's highly unlikely it would happed, but everything and anything is able to be attacked and infected. and with today's technology, anything can happen. Always scan email anything that doesn't look right don't open it.
    04-23-08 07:28 PM
    So far... the consensus would be : they are in risk of being infected... but as of today, no one has made a BB virus... and if you receive an e-mail with a virus (windows OS) attached to it, won't hurt you're BB.
    04-24-08 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD