After quite a few weeks of this, I now am forced to comment.

I have for years endured the incessant drone of fellow Crackberrians proclaiming as loud and as often as possible how BB users don't really need all these apps. I laughed a bit and raised my flag a bit when the playbook launched and the forums exploded with threads about side-loading android apps. The vast and overwhelming majority of blogs since the launch of the Z-10 have had to do with launching and not launching apps.

Much like the hardware (what would anyone do with a big glass screen, dual core or all that RAM, blah, blah...) and memory discussion and the Java discussions I have had in the forums for the last 4 or 5 years, I finally feel fully vindicated. Sure its anonymous, and granted many of those 'true?' crack heads who attacked me with such vehemence have long since moved on to other ecosystems. Still I'll take what I can get.
    cjcampbell and richardat like this.
    03-05-13 03:14 PM
    i dont get it
    Graheem, meltbox360 and recompile like this.
    03-05-13 03:19 PM
    I agree with you here. I think many just didn't realise what apps could do as BBOS was pretty full-featured.

That being said, with some stat somewhere here saying that 50% of Z10 buyers are coming from another platform, the call for apps would be naturally higher.
    03-05-13 03:32 PM
    I have good news and bad news.

First, the good news: congratulations, you won a protracted argument on the Internet!

And now, the bad news: You won a protracted argument... on the Internet. Herp derp derp.
    03-05-13 03:37 PM
    Yunvi - I am saying that all the posts and blogs and excitement about all the new games and apps now on BB10 is vindication of what I've always said. That is, that apps matter. End users, want and like apps. For many years, even recently many BB users would respond to this with a sour grapes type response. Typically - something to the effect of, "we don't need 1,000 fart apps. Just a few decent ones" OR, "If you want to play games, you should buy an Xbox."

I had in fact been saying since prior to release of the 9500, that BB needed to upgrade its hardware and put in a better processor and RAM. I had advocated for a large touch screen device, for BB to not partition off the largest part of storage just for media, but allow for application storage as well. And after the launch of the Storm 2 and the acquisition of QNX I argued repeatedly that BB must abandon JAVA. Each point, each time I was attacked in these forums. Even after Jim Basille said they were going to abandon JAVA, I was still attacked.

So the Z-10 was launched, with modern specifications, losts of RAM and storage, on a new ecosystem that is quickly filling with top notch apps and games. And most Crackberrians are now proclaiming it as the second coming device. So yes, now I feel vindicated in that I have for many years advocated for the release of a similar device, and as I expected, most BB users either want it or are pleased with it.
    03-05-13 03:38 PM
    I have good news and bad news.

First, the good news: congratulations, you won a protracted argument on the Internet!

And now, the bad news: You won a protracted argument... on the Internet. Herp derp derp.
    Thanks. I needed a win today. I'll take this un-noteworthy one.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    03-05-13 03:38 PM
    Wait, is this another one of those threads which says because some people in this forum said one thing, and now other people in this forum say the opposite, and because you're incapable of keeping track of who said what, you're just lumping everyone in together as "CrackBerrians" and claiming some sort of victory?

Good for you....

Next!
    Dapper37 and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    03-05-13 03:42 PM
    "I've won! Hehehehehe! I've WON! Hahahahahaha! I'VE WOOOOOOONNNNN! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

*blinks*
    Dapper37 and twstd.reality like this.
    03-05-13 03:45 PM
    Wait, is this another one of those threads which says because some people in this forum said one thing, and now other people in this forum say the opposite, and because you're incapable of keeping track of who said what, you're just lumping everyone in together as "CrackBerrians" and claiming some sort of victory?

Good for you....

Next!
    Sort of. Thankls for noticing. I was kind of tongue in cheek here. But kind of serious, in a plyful and kidding manner. Though I don't ever remember you agreeing with my very early posts on these matters. And I usually do, remember.
    03-05-13 03:58 PM
    "I've won! Hehehehehe! I've WON! Hahahahahaha! I'VE WOOOOOOONNNNN! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

*blinks*

^^^^^^^ What he said.
    03-05-13 03:58 PM

Good for you....

Next!
    Stop making sense right this minute!
    03-05-13 04:00 PM
    You shouldn't have to feel the need for vindication in the first place. It's not like you were tar-ed and feathered for your views, I hope.

Not going to comment on Apps. The hardware for anything tech is always improving so eventually BB was going to get to bigger screens, dual core, more ram etc. But I think the more nuanced argument at the time was that BB did not have to have THE best specs to compete. I think that argument still stands and BB's CEO even agrees. The Z10 is a not a spec phone with quadcore, 4gb ram, 6" screens. It's a phone that focuses on allowing the software and hardware to work more efficiently to match, if not surpass, the performance of a "spec" phone. And from what many Z10 owners have been saying, it's a beast.
    03-05-13 04:03 PM
    We so needed a thread on this wonderful. Why bother reading anywhere else on this forum about apps missing? Also I don't really understand the first post. Confused.
    03-05-13 04:05 PM
    I agree we don't need a 1000 fart apps... We do need the main apps though such as whatsapp and skype... I never said apps weren't important... but 1000 fart apps really are not important.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 04:09 PM
    You say that now... but what about iFart DELUXE?!? It farts in quadrophic stereo with active 3D audio, and allows you to make the fart seem as though it has come from random people sitting around you!

Bet your pathetic little BlackBerry Style can't do that... CAN IT?!?

It's these sorts of powerful, productive apps that keep iPhone users as the vanguard of the tech elite.
    billsterjito likes this.
    03-05-13 04:10 PM
    I clearly don't need those apps! Stinks in here!haha!

CB10 App, Z10
    03-05-13 04:17 PM
    In answer to the last 3 posts - I was sort of digitally tarred and feathered at the time, especially during the Storm Wars. That was a really contentious time around here. The post isn't about the lack of apps, at least not on BB10. It was about the lack of understanding of how much pent up desire there was for applications on the BB platform (especially top notch games) prior to the launch of BB10.

Finally for those of you 2011 and newer folks. I certainly don't mean you. By the time the BB10 platform was delayed the first time and RIMM shares started dipping below $30 a share, most folks realized that allot of stuff was wrong. For those folks around in 2008- 2010, any comment to the effect of, RIM really needs to put modern hardware on their devices, was met with derision, scorn and the troll label.

Honestly, I just think it's funny now, that so much of what so many on this forum railed against, even senior BB management did as well, has come to pass on the Z-10.

Do you remember reading about RIM declaring that there was no need for a camera on a phone. Or a music palyer, or WIFI? Let alone the famous declaration that people don't want to type on glass. It's kinda funny. Z-10 and its progeny will likely save BB. Would have done so earlier if they let it.
    randall2580 likes this.
    03-05-13 04:20 PM
    when bandwodth on phoens was limited, apps made sense. With better bandwidth, many apps are no longer needed.

The only apps that really make any sense anymore are games.

Quite frankly, for 90% of what I do on a phone, I don't need apps. For hte other 10%, I can run the apps I want to run on a Z10.
    03-05-13 04:31 PM
    I would rather my bank focus on improving its circa-2008 mobile web site, rather than wasting money developing apps that constantly have security or other problems. I only use the bank app now because the mobile site is so bad.
    03-05-13 04:55 PM
    Mindless brand devotion is a prominent phenomenon in mobile and BlackBerry is not excluded. I don't understand the source of this mania.

Scott

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 05:24 PM
    Sort of. Thankls for noticing. I was kind of tongue in cheek here. But kind of serious, in a plyful and kidding manner. Though I don't ever remember you agreeing with my very early posts on these matters. And I usually do, remember.
    It's likely you never saw me disagreeing with them either. In actual fact, I don't recall ever seeing a post from you... ;-)

I had, and it was making the case that apps were not going away then, obviously, as an app developer, I'm sure I'd have been in there agreeing with you! :-)
    03-05-13 05:38 PM
    [QUOTE=1magine;8073830]Yunvi - I am saying that all the posts and blogs and excitement about all the new games and apps now on BB10 is vindication of what I've always said. That is, that apps matter.

Certainly the more apps that are available the more choices one has, but it is the usefulness of those apps (whether they be Utility type apps or Games --the two broadest category). However, numbers in and of itself should not be the criterion. I am a newbie to PB and so far have only added 16 Apps (see my post in the PB thread). I do not want my PB screen be populated with so many app icons as to make it look cluttered.
    03-05-13 06:33 PM

*blinks*
    Thats funny!
    03-05-13 06:40 PM
    Mindless brand devotion is a prominent phenomenon in mobile and BlackBerry is not excluded. I don't understand the source of this mania.

Scott

Posted via CB10
    American media driven by finacial markets!
    03-05-13 06:45 PM
    Yunvi - I am saying that all the posts and blogs and excitement about all the new games and apps now on BB10 is vindication of what I've always said. That is, that apps matter. End users, want and like apps. For many years, even recently many BB users would respond to this with a sour grapes type response. Typically - something to the effect of, "we don't need 1,000 fart apps. Just a few decent ones" OR, "If you want to play games, you should buy an Xbox."

I had in fact been saying since prior to release of the 9500, that BB needed to upgrade its hardware and put in a better processor and RAM. I had advocated for a large touch screen device, for BB to not partition off the largest part of storage just for media, but allow for application storage as well. And after the launch of the Storm 2 and the acquisition of QNX I argued repeatedly that BB must abandon JAVA. Each point, each time I was attacked in these forums. Even after Jim Basille said they were going to abandon JAVA, I was still attacked.

So the Z-10 was launched, with modern specifications, losts of RAM and storage, on a new ecosystem that is quickly filling with top notch apps and games. And most Crackberrians are now proclaiming it as the second coming device. So yes, now I feel vindicated in that I have for many years advocated for the release of a similar device, and as I expected, most BB users either want it or are pleased with it.
    To some of us at least, you have been preaching to the choir. I recently noted that watching the steady parade of games on the front page of the "tools not toys" forum, gives me a smile. Still it's fun to read the die hard chorus of "who needs Netflix and why would anyone use Instagram" even so today!

Who knew we could have tools AND toys all along? (Nudge Nudge Wink Wink)
    richardat likes this.
    03-05-13 06:49 PM
28 12