I followed instructions from someone else's post about this issue (not being able to find how to make the phone vibrate, not being able to find how to choose ringtones). I found notification profiles, but there was no information to help me there. Please assist; my little Motorola cell phone was so much easier to deal with.
    07-10-09 11:56 AM
    if you want the bb to vibrate and ring you need an app for it because it won't do it.
    07-10-09 12:00 PM
    OK.
    When you choose Profiles, go to the very bottom and select Advanced.

On this page, if you select the profile and hit the Menu button, you get a choice to edit.

Inside this edit screen, you would select the application you want to choose. For example, you want to change your ringtone/vibration...choose Phone

In here, you can choose the type of notification, ringtone, volume, etc. for IN holster and OUT of holster.

The types are none, Tone, Vibrate, and Vibrate+Tone. Lower down, you can chose how many times you want it to vibrate.

Hit escape when done and save.

I hope this helps.
    Tom
    07-10-09 12:31 PM
    On this page, if you select the profile and hit the Menu button, you get a choice to edit.
    Simply selecting the profile from the advanced tab goes straight into editing, saves a step from having to hit the bb button and selecting edit.
    07-10-09 12:56 PM
    Simply selecting the profile from the advanced tab goes straight into editing, saves a step from having to hit the bb button and selecting edit.
    If I do that, it activates it and exits. That's why I added the menu button.
    07-10-09 01:13 PM
    the only "profiles" I can find is in the Help menu, and it's called "notification profiles". If I select this, "advanced" is not an option.

OK.
    When you choose Profiles, go to the very bottom and select Advanced.

Inside this edit screen, you would select the application you want to choose. For example, you want to change your ringtone/vibration...choose Phone

In here, you can choose the type of notification, ringtone, volume, etc. for IN holster and OUT of holster.

The types are none, Tone, Vibrate, and Vibrate+Tone. Lower down, you can chose how many times you want it to vibrate.

Hit escape when done and save.

I hope this helps.
    Tom
    07-10-09 01:16 PM
    It will be a speaker icon...one that matches the icon at the top right of your home screen.

If you have the "dialing from home" option off, then press the F key.
    07-10-09 01:33 PM
    If I do that, it activates it and exits. That's why I added the menu button.
    Sorry needed further clarification.

Once you select "advanced" from there if you select profile you are currently using, it goes straight into editing.
    Last edited by bbstorm79; 07-10-09 at 02:41 PM.
    07-10-09 02:38 PM
    Sorry needed further clarification.

Once you select "advanced" from there if you select profile you are currently using, it goes straight into editing.
    It's OK...I'm still new to learning these things. I made it a mission to figure out the profiles and I was successful.

---------------------------------
    As far as the "dial from home"...

From the home screen, press your phone button.
    Press the menu button, then select Options, then General Options.

Turn off "Dial from Home Screen". then exit
    At that point, you can press F and access your profiles.

You do the same to turn dialing from home back on.
    ---------------------------------

I'm not sure how to un-hide icons though. It may be what happened.
    I swapped themes to an iBerry theme and I saw a TON of icons I've never used such as "Saved Mail", "Compose", etc. Maybe cbalk accidentally hid his Profiles icon.
    07-10-09 03:23 PM
    AH HA!!!

To find your hidden icons...
    Go to the icon view.

Hold ALT then trackball-click.

Select View all. Voila!
    Your profile icon should show up somewhere in there.

Good luck.
    07-10-09 11:27 PM
    To camarojones: thanks so much for your instructions about finding ringtones in the profiles. After I finally sat down with your instructions, plus the little manual that came with the blackberry, and put it all together, I was able to figure it out. Could NOT have done it without your help. Thanks.
    07-16-09 08:46 AM
    To camarojones: thanks so much for your instructions about finding ringtones in the profiles. After I finally sat down with your instructions, plus the little manual that came with the blackberry, and put it all together, I was able to figure it out. Could NOT have done it without your help. Thanks.
    No problem boss...newbies helping newbies. LOL
    07-17-09 07:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD