Op you can't live with it but me, my family and circles of friends can live with out it because none of us have heard or used Snapchat before.

Long live the most delicious fruit on the planet.
    04-16-15 09:51 PM
    No. Phone calls and text messages STILL exist.

The logic that people who use Snapchat will stop communicating with people who do not use that app is flawed.
    In some cases, that's exactly what happens, but more often, the person without Snapchat (or whatever service) is simply excluded from the bulk of the social interaction, which then becomes limited to the occasional text or even rarer phone call.

I'm not sure why you are trying to hard to be stubborn - it's no different than people who, 10 years ago, thought that texting was "irrelevant" as a form of communication, and that people would "always call". Hardly anyone calls anymore. And younger people now do most of their communications via apps like InstaGram and Snapchat. You might not care (and that's fine), but if BB wanted to be taken seriously in the consumer market, they need these apps. Of course, we all know that BB has effectively abandoned the consumer market, even though many here refuse to accept that truth too, even when the words came straight from John Chen's own mouth 50 times.
    Swave514, rthonpm, frodebh and 2 others like this.
    04-16-15 10:41 PM
    Op you can't live with it but me, my family and circles of friends can live with out it because none of us have heard or used Snapchat before.

Long live the most delicious fruit on the planet.
    Let me rephrase:

Let's try that: What application is available exclusively to Blackberry (Application, not something a part of BBOS), that makes it something you'd tell your friends to drop the iOS or Android devices to use a Blackberry so they can connect to you?
    04-17-15 12:29 AM
    In some cases, that's exactly what happens, but more often, the person without Snapchat (or whatever service) is simply excluded from the bulk of the social interaction, which then becomes limited to the occasional text or even rarer phone call.
    Those poor, disconnected people without smartphones!

I'm not sure why you are trying to hard to be stubborn - it's no different than people who, 10 years ago, thought that texting was "irrelevant" as a form of communication, and that people would "always call". Hardly anyone calls anymore. And younger people now do most of their communications via apps like InstaGram and Snapchat. You might not care (and that's fine), but if BB wanted to be taken seriously in the consumer market, they need these apps. Of course, we all know that BB has effectively abandoned the consumer market, even though many here refuse to accept that truth too, even when the words came straight from John Chen's own mouth 50 times.
    Yep, BlackBerry doesn't care about the consumer market at the moment. They don't have the resources to pursue it. It's a smart move on their part.
    04-17-15 12:35 AM
    I had no idea the words "Very important" and "snapchat" could appear in the same sentence...

(sorry, I know how dismissive that is... couldn't resist)
    04-17-15 01:00 AM

I am not trying at all to be stubborn. Phones can do many things and connect users in many different ways, which is good for all of us.

Maybe the younger people in high school wouldn't let me sit at the snobby, popular kids table or invite me to their parties, but I'm not trying to be in that sort of social group. I feel sorry that its so necessary for those young kids to be in blind lockstep with their peers: they fear being excluded if they don't use social media apps like Snapchat or Instagram to prove their coolness to others.

What a shame for the younger people of the world.

For me, I will use what works for me. Phone calls and texting. I mentioned in another thread that my sister was in the hospital for almost 3 months during January through March. I was constantly in contact with my family and friends by group texting, and we would make individual phone calls to older brothers that don't text.
    It was not cool like Snapchat of course, but no one was deliberately or thoughtlessly excluded from getting info about my sister.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-17-15 09:45 AM
    I had no idea the words "Very important" and "snapchat" could appear in the same sentence...

Won't argue that (reading your 'socially aware phrase')
    04-17-15 10:15 AM
    I am not trying at all to be stubborn. Phones can do many things and connect users in many different ways, which is good for all of us.

Maybe the younger people in high school wouldn't let me sit at the snobby, popular kids table or invite me to their parties, but I'm not trying to be in that sort of social group. I feel sorry that its so necessary for those young kids to be in blind lockstep with their peers: they fear being excluded if they don't use social media apps like Snapchat or Instagram to prove their coolness to others.

For me, I will use what works for me. Phone calls and texting. I mentioned in another thread that my sister was in the hospital for almost 3 months during January through March. I was constantly in contact with my family and friends by group texting, and we would make individual phone calls to older brothers that don't text.
    It was not cool like Snapchat of course, but no one was deliberately or thoughtlessly excluded from getting info about my sister.
    This is more than just stubbornness, it's beyond dismissive, it's downright non-acknowledgement of the world one lives in, and that is a symptom or something.

I feel like you haven't read any of this thread, but came in and called people who use Snapchat highschoolers. Why would you do that?

If you had read the thread, you'd see that 20-somethings, the largest demographic, have moved away from Facebook, Instagram, and are moving to Snapchat. This demographic and the emerging one behind it are the future of our world, and you are denying their very existence with a wave of your hand and your sense of their highschooler status.

I think you could approach this more openly without insulting everyone. Evan Spiegel isn't accidentally creating billionaire investors. Perhaps it's a small streak of jealousy on your part? Check that.
    Swave514 and bp2k7 like this.
    04-17-15 10:22 AM
    It's like you missed a big chunk of BB10 history in the last few years or you're one of those people that become a fan and turn evangelical.

BlackBerry started with the PlayBook, which had a limited Android Runtime, which wasn't advertised. They courted developers. They had problems. Limited interest. BlackBerry proceeded to BB10, again courting developers, making development kits free, offering free and loaner devices, contests, guaranteed $10K payouts, etc. The Android Runtime still wasn't advertised. There was still limited interest in native development. Many users felt that in order to get more development, it was necessary to get more users, and part of that was to get more features of BB10 to be well known. Users, /not/ Chen or the Board, wanted the world to know that BB10 can run Android apps. It wasn't until the Z3 that the Android Runtime was advertised as part of BB10. That's after several years of beating on the dead horse of trying to get native developers.

What's your genius plan of getting native developers that BlackBerry hasn't tried? Some apps, like Snapchat, could care less about money being thrown at them. Microsoft tried that. Didn't work. What else?
    No I didn't miss it. I got suckered into the preybook fiasco. A product released with a half baked OS and promises of functions and app development that never arrived.

Then the release of the half baked BB10 and promises of app development and features/functions that didn't arrive. Long after the rest of the world already knew it, Blackberry conceded publicly that there wasn't any interest in developing for BB10, so hey here's another half measure and band-aid solutiion...........use android apps, but only some.

I have no genius plan for Blackberry to reverse it's fortunes in the mobile handset market. It's too late for that and the fat lady sang long before Chen "promoted" the wonderful android runtime. Blackberry won't survive in handset market. Chen's basically acknowledged that and their focus (rightfully so to survive at all) is in software and cross platform development.

I expect BB10 will be a term long forgotten in the tech world in the not too distant future. They may continue to make some phones for their niche market but at some point they will have to succumb to the reality that they were too little too late.

As I said before, Blackberry killed BB10 development all on their own. Granted they tried in vain to reverse that course but at the end of the day the Playbook was an utter failure and BB10 was not up to snuff when it was released. The progress made on BB10 to date is not enough to change the tide.

But hey, who needs apps? No one is going to surf the internet on a phone.
    04-17-15 10:22 AM
    Yep, BlackBerry doesn't care about the consumer market at the moment. They don't have the resources to pursue it. It's a smart move on their part.
    Exactly.
    04-17-15 10:27 AM
    Not having snapchat now is like there being no Facebook for BlackBerry...

Posted via Z30 from the sunny Okanagan
    bp2k7 likes this.
    04-17-15 10:54 AM
    This is more than just stubbornness, it's beyond dismissive, it's downright non-acknowledgement of the world one lives in, and that is a symptom or something.

I feel like you haven't read any of this thread, but came in and called people who use Snapchat highschoolers. Why would you do that?

If you had read the thread, you'd see that 20-somethings, the largest demographic, have moved away from Facebook, Instagram, and are moving to Snapchat. This demographic and the emerging one behind it are the future of our world, and you are denying their very existence with a wave of your hand and your sense of their highschooler status.

I think you could approach this more openly without insulting everyone. Evan Spiegel isn't accidentally creating billionaire investors. Perhaps it's a small streak of jealousy on your part? Check that.
    I'm not jealous. Re-read my post. I use what works for ME. In my case, it is not Snapchat. The highschoolers/twentysomethings are the ones who are dismissive in my opinion, so we will just have to agree to disagree.
    04-17-15 10:57 AM

Yet when BBM was the rage and kids were buying BlackBerry to communicate via BBM this was also sad and pathetic of these kids?

Posted via CB10
    anon9133023 and bp2k7 like this.
    04-17-15 05:57 PM
    Yet when BBM was the rage and kids were buying BlackBerry to communicate via BBM this was also sad and pathetic of these kids?

Posted via CB10
    Off topic!

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    Kimberella likes this.
    04-17-15 07:43 PM
    Off topic!

How so. BBM used to be a must have app that had kids buying BlackBerry devices just so they could BBM with other kids and be part of the social scene. Things migrated to WhatsApp, and now other apps are filling the needs, and those apps are not available on BB10. IMessage fits into this too. Just because BlackBerry can't meet the requirements now, doesn't mean that these people are sad or pathetic, it means BlackBerry can't deliver on these newer communications methods that those age groups prefer.

Posted via CB10
    anon9133023 likes this.
    04-17-15 08:34 PM
    How so. BBM used to be a must have app that had kids buying BlackBerry devices just so they could BBM with other kids and be part of the social scene. Things migrated to WhatsApp, and now other apps are filling the needs, and those apps are not available on BB10. IMessage fits into this too. Just because BlackBerry can't meet the requirements now, doesn't mean that these people are sad or pathetic, it means BlackBerry can't deliver on these newer communications methods that those age groups prefer.
    At the time BBM was so sought after, weren't SMS/MMS still expensive and not unlimited as it is today? And there wasn't an alternative to BBM for unlimited messaging for a flat fee? Maybe BBM was selected because these kids wanted unlimited messaging for a small fee instead of trying to be cool.

The difference today is that there are many choices for messaging and these choices have very similar features, so which is "must have" will vary greatly based on groups, regions, etc. If a group/region doesn't have X, they'll use Y and not lose anything in the process, in terms of having a working messaging system. Must have could change tomorrow if BBM offered video, voice, screen share, timed, etc. across BB10, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows, MacOS, and GNU/Linux, with limited features to non-smartphones, for free.
    04-17-15 08:57 PM
    Off topic!

Once upon a time BBM occupied the enviable position Snapchat does today. I still remember back in the day in Indonesia asking someone's BBM PIN is like asking their names and people copied silly hexadecimal numbers around with wild abandon. You wanted to be considered cool and connected? Get a BB so we could talk through BBM. Back then.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    anon9133023 likes this.
    04-17-15 09:05 PM
    It's strange. I remember when AIM was popular, and Yahoo Messenger. Now they're ignored but we get excited about being able to use WhatsApp or BBM on the laptop, something AIM could always do, and still does.

AIM was baked into my Sidekick and seemed at the time like the perfect cross-platform solution. Those were the days.
    anon9133023 and bp2k7 like this.
    04-17-15 09:07 PM
    However, it is the only way to receive messages from your family and friends who are using Snapchat.
    Nahhh.... there are at least a dozen ways to send and receive messages.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 09:43 PM

They can appear in the same sentence as long it has the word 'not' in there somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 09:47 PM
    Very Important.

Don't need it for productivity

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 12:26 PM
    I think we can live like this. I agree it sucks, and I wish they'd give it to us, but I'm not going to say that my life depends on it.
    04-21-15 08:21 PM
    I just came here to put the comment number

Hoping that it would be end of SnapChat app request threads!

Simply 
    04-25-15 10:23 AM
    I think we can live like this. I agree it sucks, and I wish they'd give it to us, but I'm not going to say that my life depends on it.
    In that case, no one's life should depend on any app

Z30 | 10.3.1.2708
    04-25-15 11:10 AM
    I was quoting someone else who said we can't live like this. I thought that was a bit of a hyperbolic statement.

I tend to agree with you, though. But if there is by chance a hierarchy of life-preserving apps, I would assume there are others that would be closer to the top.
    04-25-15 09:12 PM
102 ... 2345