I just finished the OS update and I am loving it. I have heard numerous rumors that the GPS is now unlocked for the Storm as well and I instantly tried BB Maps and have not had any luck. Mine just says, "Searching for Satellites".

Is anyone having any luck with this? Is the GPS unlocked for any other navigation program besides VZW Navigator? Fill us in...
    12-05-08 03:14 PM
    GPS is unlocked on all versions of the os.
    12-05-08 03:15 PM
    Then why is not working for BB Maps or Google Maps? Do I need to change a setting?
    12-05-08 03:16 PM
    WOW!!! It is working! I stopped and then started BB Maps again and it pulled up my exact location - this is awesome!
    12-05-08 03:21 PM
    I'm still waiting for google maps to work!
    12-05-08 03:24 PM
    it has always been working on Maps.
    Google maps needs to update the software to make it compatible with the Storm GPS.

I've installed Nav4all (a free navigation app), and it gives me the exact coordinates I'm standing using satellites.
    12-05-08 03:26 PM
    I'm still waiting for google maps to work!
    After installing any OS update, it should take a while to find the satellites for the first time
    12-05-08 03:27 PM
    It has always worked on Maps? I could have sworn that VZW has always locked the GPS functionality to only work with VZW navigator. This is the first time this has worked.
    12-05-08 03:31 PM
    Make sure you go to options > GPS and make sure location is turned on instead of E911.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 03:33 PM
    It has always worked on Maps? I could have sworn that VZW has always locked the GPS functionality to only work with VZW navigator. This is the first time this has worked.
    It is true, they have always locked their GPS. However, the storm was the first to have it unlocked. And now, they have unlocked it for the pearl and 8830 I think. Maybe the curve too.

But yea make sure your location on. It will take a while the first couple times but then it should start getting quicker. Google maps doesnt work with the GPS yet but they are working on it and should be releasing a new one soonish -- i hope.
    12-05-08 03:37 PM
    Thanks imann101 for confirming my suspicions. I could have sworn it's been locked the entire time.

It is working for me now and I am loving it - what a great feature. I wonder if Verizon figured out that their VZW Navigator program was way overpriced...
    12-05-08 03:39 PM
    My BB maps always worked with GPS on the Storm. So does VZ Navigator. But Google maps never has. I'm sure they'll fix it, but so far it's banished to the 'hidden icon' corner.
    12-05-08 03:40 PM
    Where do I get BB maps? VZ navigator really blows! I want something better. BTW is it free?
    12-05-08 03:56 PM
    Where do I get BB maps? VZ navigator really blows! I want something better. BTW is it free?
    It is already on the Storm. Go to Applications and click on the icon labeled Maps. That is BB Maps. Has been there from the begining.
    12-05-08 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD