I subscribe to VZnav and find it quite useful. I also have the keychain puck and find it equally beneficial. I am a Geologist and my Dad is an Engineer/Land Surveyor. The puck works fantastic in the woods while using bbtracker to record my path. I just hang the puck on my belt loop and go.

VZnav has actually shown me a 'backdoor' way into the Atlanta airport that I never considered. That itself was worth a year's subscription if you have ever driven I-285 in rush hour. Or should I have said parked on I-285 in rush hour!?

Oh, our Verizon store doesn't serve hummingbirds.
    08-10-08 10:16 PM
    I should also have noted that I have Google Maps, BBmaps, MS Live Search, and Gpsed. Google is such a pain to get it to recognize the puck that I really use it only for aerial photographs and info search. BBmaps is not bad but it is limited. Live Search is beta as is Gpsed. I don't use Gpsed nearly as much since I started using bbtracker. You will also note that all of these are free, at least at the moment.
    08-10-08 10:20 PM
    I may be too new to understand this thread but i have a curve through verizon and I do not have nav activated, I have google maps and it works great! From the sounds of your posts it does not work on vz phones? Or is it a certain feature on google maps that does not work?
    08-11-08 10:17 PM
    Google maps will work, it just typically won't find your location closer than a 1700-m circle. Verizon disables the internal GPS on their phones, except for use with VZNav, and in certain circumstances other apps in conjunction with VZNav.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 10:36 PM
    I may be too new to understand this thread but i have a curve through verizon and I do not have nav activated, I have google maps and it works great! From the sounds of your posts it does not work on vz phones? Or is it a certain feature on google maps that does not work?
    Google Maps works fine on our Verizon 8330's. The problem is that the ability to use the phone's built-in GPS has been blocked. Luckily Google Maps can still use triangulation from multiple cell-towers to get somewhat of a fix of our location. However, it is not very accurate - often off by miles.

Verizon has made sure that we are handicapped (differently-abled?) unless we use their $10/month service called VZNavigator

EDIT: looks like JeffH beat me to the punch
    Last edited by teylini; 08-11-08 at 10:40 PM. Reason: see EDIT
    08-11-08 10:39 PM
    I love Navigator...use it all the time...but I wish they would unlock it so I could use the GPS with other programs like the exercise programs that track how far you've walked/run and your speed. Any idea on the best puck for that?
    08-11-08 10:46 PM
    Many of us use the Freedom Keychain 2000, available from the crackberry store. It's very small and light-weight and has a permanently attached snap hook that can easily attach it to a loop on your clothing. I wear mine on a belt loop, even with suits. It's so small, matte-black, and unobtrusive, that it's rare anybody notices it.

08-11-08 10:55 PM
    Many of us use the Freedom Keychain 2000, available from the crackberry store. It's very small and light-weight and has a permanently attached snap hook that can easily attach it to a loop on your clothing. I wear mine on a belt loop, even with suits. It's so small, matte-black, and unobtrusive, that it's rare anybody notices it.

Thanks Jeff...I'll save this post so I can check it out in the morning when my eyeballs are functioning better, LOL.
    08-11-08 10:58 PM
    Thanks Jeff...I'll save this post so I can check it out in the morning when my eyeballs are functioning better, LOL.
    Hehehe...sorry I made your eyes glaze with my BIS BES post in another thread. It's an occupational hazard!

08-11-08 11:00 PM
    Sorry....I'm severely nearsighted...but for some reason, since I turned 40....I have to remove the glasses to read things....and the changeover takes a minute, LOL...the eyes glaze over with the slightest provocation these days
    08-11-08 11:02 PM
    so if I have exact coordinates I need to arrive at, can vz nav get me there? Can I type in the coordinates I am looking for?
    08-11-08 11:07 PM
    I've only used addresses...never a problem.
    08-11-08 11:09 PM
    I have it and it works great. Wish that it did not cost $10.00.
    08-12-08 12:22 AM
    Given a choice, I'd take VZ Navigator over hummingbirds any day. Unless the hummingbirds were deep fried and covered in hot sauce.
    NOM NOM NOM

I like VZ Nav, but I wish the one we had for the Curve was the same one I had on my old Chocolate. That thing had built in movie times and stuff too.
    08-12-08 04:26 PM
    NOM NOM NOM
    Heheheheehehehehehehe!!
    08-12-08 04:29 PM
    Heheheheehehehehehehe!!
    I liek's tu NOM.
    08-12-08 04:58 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD