Hello,

I'm completely new to Blackberry devices and I'm extremely interested in picking up the 8830 World Edition from Verizon. I'm a high school student and have been doing a lot of research and reading everything you guys have posted on this awesome forum. The main reason why I want the 8830 is because it does email (obviously), has a GPS, and works in Europe and the Caribbean. I have read that the GPS is disabled and that there is no way to enable it. I've been speaking with a Verizon representative and she said that the GPS was disabled because Verizon has no software to support it, but that third-party applications for the GPS would work. I would only get the 8830 if the GPS will work with a third-party application (such as Navizon or the Spot GPS program). The manufacturer for the maker of the Spot program says that it will work on the 8830 (even for Verizon?). So my question is, has anyone been able to get the GPS to work with any third-party applications? If I can get the GPS to work with nearly 100% certainty, than I will purchase the phone. I'm also wondering how an alternative like the Navizon triangulation software would work and how accurate it is compared to GPS. I know that there is another thread for this, but I didn't want to ask another question in someone else's thread. However, if you feel that this should be merged with the other thread, please feel free to do so. Thanks in advance!
    06-08-07 06:34 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com

As you know, this is a very heated topic, and am sure a few members will chime in.

But, I wonder if TeleNav would work with that device? So, any takers out there to test this theory?
    06-08-07 06:54 PM
    Thanks for the welcome, this community seems to be full of great expertise! On TeleNav's website, it does not list the 8830 as a supported device for Verizon. However, it does list the 8800 as a supported device for AT&T, which leads me to believe that the 8830 from Verizon won't work with TeleNav. Their info appears to be updated, and they even have the Rogers BlackBerry Curve listed. They also have a coming soon for the T-Mobile 8800.
    06-09-07 11:13 AM
    Verizon wants to sell their service, VZ Navigator, so I think that's all you'll ever get with them.
    06-09-07 02:01 PM
    I just purchased the Verizon BB 8830 World edition. I downloaded the Spot and the Trimble Outdoors GPS programs and neither would pick up a signal.

The Garmin says it won't work with Verizon BB and the Telenav requires an additional bluetooth receiver since Verizon has evidently turned off the GPS capabilities unless you use THEIR GPS service at $9.99 As much as I want the GPS on this phone, I'd rather buy a GPS outright than pay $10 a month forever. hope this helps
    01-17-08 03:50 PM
    I have the 8830 from verizon and did finally get the navigator for $10 a month. I am not happy about paying the monthly fee but it is all i can find to make use of the gps in the phone with verizon...not a terrible product but far from the best...
    email me if you have any questions...
    [email protected]
    01-17-08 04:16 PM
    Anybody ever figure out how to unlock VZWs GPS? There has to be a way since Sprint's 8830 doesn't have GPS locked, surely someone can hack their way into it!
    01-17-08 05:11 PM
    I'm also looking for help in unlocking my Verizon-powered BB Curve's GPS. I downloaded Google Maps which is very nice, but it's only using the cell tower triangulation to get my location. Need to find a way to enable the real GPS.

Also, (and I should be able to find this on the verizon site), but is VZ Navigator included with the unlimited data plan from Verizon?
    02-08-09 11:41 AM
    wow. talk about resurrecting a thread from the grave!!!!
    02-08-09 12:26 PM
    Navigator is an additional $10.00/month

There is some thread about "doctoring" some values in the phone with hacking tools to unlock that is quite recent but I don't recall which subforum it is in.
    02-08-09 02:01 PM
    the 4.5 OS is supposed to give additional access to the internal GPS, but doesn't unlock fully. I believe Blackberry Maps will work with 4.5, along with a couple of other applications, but not all of them.
    02-08-09 07:32 PM
    I haven't found an app besides BBMaps to work with the GPS. Anyone found anything else?
    02-08-09 08:18 PM
    I am a verizon customer and refused to pay for navigator.. too expensive..

I purchased a GPS 2000 keychain (bluetooth) and very happy with it...

Hope this Helps
    02-09-09 07:25 AM
    the internal GPS works with the 4.5 firmware (you can google for it). There are also discussions on this forum about installing that. once you install that, BB Maps should work. I have BB Maps and Google Maps installed. When I really need to figure out where I am, I use BB maps and get the GPS loc. Otherwise, i use google maps since the interface is cleaner.
    02-10-09 03:05 AM
    wow. talk about resurrecting a thread from the grave!!!!
    atleast he searched! =)
    02-10-09 03:34 AM
    I have a Curve but refuse to pay for Verizon's VZnavigator. I tried to download BB Maps from Blackberry.com but got an error saying my phone does not meet the minimum requirements. It says it needs v4.1 or later and I'm running v4.5.0.77. Is it because of Verizon's disable of the GPS? How did you get it onto your phone?
    02-11-09 09:44 AM
    I have a Curve but refuse to pay for Verizon's VZnavigator. I tried to download BB Maps from Blackberry.com but got an error saying my phone does not meet the minimum requirements. It says it needs v4.1 or later and I'm running v4.5.0.77. Is it because of Verizon's disable of the GPS? How did you get it onto your phone?
    Do you have GPS enabled?

options>Advanced>GPS

GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Services : Location ON
    Location Aiding: Enabled

Uninstall, change the settings and reinstall GL.
    02-11-09 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD