You can also upgrade to a Storm or a Tour. These Verizon Blackberry phones do not have the GPS locked down.
    Excuse me? Iv'e known for quite some time that Verizon locked the GPS on my Curve with the exceptions mentioned. However...now I am PISSED off!!! Why should Storm and Tour owners have their phones unlocked and not Curve owners?
    07-29-09 11:15 PM
    Yeah, like I said in my previous post, I use Poynt and that uses cell tower and then I use the option to map it out on BB Maps and use the GPS that way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    How are you able to get the cell tower location to work? This has been brought up in other threads, and no one with an 8330 Curve with Verizon has gotten this to work.

07-30-09 04:07 AM
    It works on mine
    Where doesn't use GPS. It uses cell tower location. It gave the city and state as my location. When I moved my cursor over my location and clicked the trackball, it gave the source as cell tower. The driving directions on Where are inaccurate. Wether I use the so called GPS or manual location, the driving directions to a business location are all the same. ..."Proceed south on Albany St. ..Take the I-93 ramp toward Concord Hwy".

07-30-09 04:28 AM
    OK ... I've heard lots of back and forth about the "where" software ... so does it really work with the 8330 on VZW ... and if so ... does it chew up significant memory ... and where do you download it from ... only had my 8330 a couple of weeks and still trying to maximize the benefits ... thanks.
    07-30-09 04:47 AM
    Where doesn't use GPS. It uses cell tower location. It gave the city and state as my location. When I moved my cursor over my location and clicked the trackball, it gave the source as cell tower. The driving directions on Where are inaccurate. Wether I use the so called GPS or manual location, the driving directions to a business location are all the same. ..."Proceed south on Albany St. ..Take the I-93 ramp toward Concord Hwy".

That's exactly the same way with me. It doesn't give an exact location, just the city. And then the driving directions aren't even in my state.

And about Poynt, I didn't do anything to get it to work. It just does. There's only been a couple places where it wouldn't (like at work) but whenever I use it, its always working fine.

07-30-09 05:02 AM
    That's exactly the same way with me. It doesn't give an exact location, just the city. And then the driving directions aren't even in my state.

And about Poynt, I didn't do anything to get it to work. It just does. There's only been a couple places where it wouldn't (like at work) but whenever I use it, its always working fine.

Poynt displays "GPS not supported" in the upper right corner of the application. If I try to do a search, an alert box will appear telling me that I'm unable to get a GPS location. It gives me the option to enter my location manually.

07-30-09 05:54 AM
    Yeah, that's what it does if I'm in a bad area or whatever. Like in my work factory and for some reason, anywhere around my work (in the factory, in the parking lot). It is a large area so maybe it doesn't pick up on any towers nearby. But everywhere else, indoor or out it'll say "Cell-Site Location" and the top right circle will be blue.

I didn't play with any settings or anything.

07-30-09 10:53 AM
    BTW, do you have the latest version? v1.3.1.29. I don't know if that'd have anything to do with it but it might. IDK.

07-30-09 10:56 AM
    BTW, do you have the latest version? v1.3.1.29. I don't know if that'd have anything to do with it but it might. IDK.

Yes, I'm running v1.3.1.29.
    I'm also getting a 1XEV signal with 5 bars.

07-30-09 11:09 AM
    Will this procedure unlock the GPS so Garmin will work on my phone and I can canvel VZNavigator?

forums.crackberry.com/f52/blackberry-8330-gps-hidden-programming-screen-269977/
    08-02-09 07:35 PM
    Verizon didn't lock out GPS equipped 911 call centers out right?
    08-02-09 07:42 PM
    Yeah, that's what it does if I'm in a bad area or whatever. Like in my work factory and for some reason, anywhere around my work (in the factory, in the parking lot). It is a large area so maybe it doesn't pick up on any towers nearby. But everywhere else, indoor or out it'll say "Cell-Site Location" and the top right circle will be blue.

I didn't play with any settings or anything.
    The MyPoynt website claims it will use cell-tower location but for the life of me I can't seem to make it work on my VZW 8330. I'm going to go read the manual online. I'll report back if I find anything.
    08-02-09 08:37 PM
    If you do a search on the verizon forum you'll see that verizon did NOT lock gps on the curve. The curve has a different gps chip that doesn't allow it to use other gps programs besides vz nav and bb maps. Maybe blame rim?

The storm and the tour have the gps chip that allows you to use any gps program you would like.

Do a search.

08-02-09 11:01 PM
    If you do a search on the verizon forum you'll see that verizon did NOT lock gps on the curve. The curve has a different gps chip that doesn't allow it to use other gps programs besides vz nav and bb maps. Maybe blame rim?

The storm and the tour have the gps chip that allows you to use any gps program you would like.

Do a search.

Then why does it work on the Curve from other carriers?
    08-03-09 09:02 AM
    Verizon didn't lock out GPS equipped 911 call centers out right?
    no one can lock a 911 call center out of anything.. far as the locator in the BB, even if you turn the GPS off in your settings it stays active for e911
    08-07-09 01:57 AM
    I have a curve 8330m with is 160 installed. I've had all the same gps issues as most post about the subject! Tried all the fixes. Would work for a few days and quit. Finally settled with downloading life in pocket. Its a good free nav. program but I still prefer BB maps. Now if I want gps I usually load up life in pocket and run there gps map real quick then close it out and start up BB maps. I get sat. Lock in just a few seconds or so. After a few days and I find I need gps I use the same routine. BB maps gps will work this way for a few days and quit like always. Ya just run the process again! Just throwing this in the pot for what it's worth.

08-07-09 07:29 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD