You can also use the BT GPS Device... I have that one and it pairs up just fine...
    ??? What is BT GPS Device?
    05-07-09 09:40 AM
    IMO google maps blows and hardly ever use it so I'm not really sure about the GPS on it. On BB maps it works perfectly. It updates very quickly, and does a great job at providing directions. Not sure on the other mapping systems out there never used them.
    Google maps may be bad to some people.. but not everyone thinks BB Maps works perfectly... and some people were decieved by verizon thinking they can use whatever software they wanted... curve0644 doesn't understand the difference between the gps fully working and it only working for bbmaps and spits the same bull constantly about how you can "fix" the gps to work great...
    Since this thread is about using a bluetooth gps reciever to do all teh functions an unlocked gps can do why does his comment even have any relevance..
    05-07-09 11:26 AM
    So they are going to over night it for me which is great only charged me 10 otherwise i wouldnt get the replacement til around the 23rd...ughhh.... Thanks all and i'll keep you posted...

Thanks again for your help....

Johnny
    05-07-09 12:15 PM
    So they are going to over night it for me which is great only charged me 10 otherwise i wouldnt get the replacement til around the 23rd...ughhh.... Thanks all and i'll keep you posted...

Thanks again for your help....

Johnny
    Gotta hate when you have to pay to get a warrenty replacement... Seagate pulled that crap on me.. you have a 5 year defective parts warrenty... but you gotta mail them your old harddrive (in antistatic material which costs more money) and pay for the postage and wait for them to recieve it to mail you a refurbished replacement. If you want the harddrive before you mail in teh old one you have to pay like 20 bucks for that service adn then pay to mail the old one back... Such a crock when you cant trust a manufacturers defective warrenty and have to pay even more money for a product in the end..
    05-07-09 12:19 PM
    Google maps picks up my location perfectly fine with my Verizon 8330. Didn't Verizon unlock the GPS in December or there abouts?
    Maybe I'm missing something in the conversation.

I'm a new owner, but have been reading up on BB related news since I first saw the storm.
    05-07-09 04:22 PM
    Throwing fuel on the fire, Google Maps does not use GPS, in the true sense. Look up the documentation on Google. They use triangulation to find your position within 2300m. Which is fairly broad.

Blackberry Maps is native, it works, it's based on Navteq, it's free. For a quick and dirty solution, why not try it?

Google Maps has some benefits, but it's also a bit of a resource hog and not quite as precise.

Choose either, or both (I have both on my 8330 via Verizon).

Enjoy the trip!

Fredrick
    05-07-09 04:25 PM
    Like I said some people have problems with BB maps but I have no issues the thing works perfect. It pin points me directly where I'm at.
    05-07-09 04:44 PM
    I use my freedom 2000 with gpsed or skylab tracker. I have had no problems and use it whenever i go walking or biking.
    05-07-09 05:04 PM
    I have had a trial subscription of the Sprint 8330 for the past three weeks. During that time I have utilized the voice turn by turn directions rather extensively, in the NYC area, as well as in Los Angeles and San Francisco, and in the Portland Oregon area (which traveling out of town for 11 days).

I was very impressed with Sprint navigation. I own a high end Garmin GPS, for which I paid over $800. The Sprint navigation was so capable that had I not purchased the Garmin, I probably would not need to do so (it is better, but not enough better, and the Sprint is quite goood).

Now for the question - I am a long time Verizon user and will return the Sprint under this 30 day return privilege. I am going to purchase the Verizon 8330. However, I am hearing that Verizon has somehow disbled some GPS functionality, such that my navigating experience with the Verizon will be inferior to the Sprint.

Could someone be so kind as to summarize the negatives (if any) of the Verizon compared to the Sprint? I am interested only in point-to-point turn by turn directions, not traffic, points of interest, etc. I am also not looking to beat up Verizon because they arbitrarily disable features, UNLESS they are impariing my ability to get from point A to point B in an efficient and expeditious manner.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    05-10-09 01:04 PM
    If you are talking about possibly purchasing a monthly VZNavigator subscription, you can use it for one day at a cost of something like 2.95 for a 24 hour period. I have done this and like VZ Navigator but use my own Garmin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 11:42 PM
    I'm not sure the daily trial is available for BlackBerry devices. If it isn't, try it for a month. The monthly subscription is $9.95. I haven't used it, but it gets good reviews. Trying it for yourself is the best advice.
    05-11-09 06:09 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD