Since I don't want to do VZNAV..

Will this alternative work?

Use the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 bluetooth receiver with Google Maps or the onboard Maps in place of using the VZNAV to pay for GPS?
    08-01-08 11:02 AM
    Yes your bluetooth GPS puck will act as GPS and you wont have to use VZnav. You can use google maps or BBmaps or any other software/service.
    08-01-08 11:03 AM
    how much does the keychain cost?
    08-01-08 11:17 AM
    how much does the keychain cost?
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=_Sh-GrMD
    08-01-08 11:19 AM
    Hmmm.... shouldn't this thread be called the "Verizon Navigator Killer?"
    08-02-08 12:06 PM
    Cool thing is you can use vznav with a puck and not pay for it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-08 12:29 PM
    Cool thing is you can use vznav with a puck and not pay for it

I'm not sure how you can do that...VZNav is a subscription service. Verizon won't turn it on unless you pay them. You can use BBMaps or Google Maps or Nav4All or amAze with your puck and not pay Verizon, but I don't know any way to use Verizon's software without paying them. I don't agree with Verizon's decision to block third party use of the internal GPS, but I don't support the unlicensed use of their subscription software.
    08-02-08 01:22 PM
    When using the keychain puck and BBmaps or one of the other many softwares available, do they have feature of voice direction like VZNav?
    08-02-08 01:47 PM
    When using the keychain puck and BBmaps or one of the other many softwares available, do they have feature of voice direction like VZNav?
    If the mapping software has voice direction capability, it will work whether it's using an internal gps or a puck. I used CoPilot Live. It worked great with my Freedom Keychain 2000 puck. Nav4All has voice directions, but there have been a lot of complaints about the voice cutting off prematurely. I haven't tried it. Finally, I've seen posts that Google Maps 2.2.2 provides voice direction, but I haven't tried it yet.
    08-02-08 01:56 PM
    Thanks Jeff.
    08-02-08 01:57 PM
    I have a BB 8330 and I use Google Maps. If I get a freedom 2000 puck will I be able to get traffic on google maps. I am just going off cell towers now. When I look at google maps on my computer it shows traffic and construction. Will my phone work the same with a puck?
    08-27-08 06:46 PM
    All the puck does is provide the GPS location data to the mapping application. Nothing more. Maps, traffic data, locations of services, gas prices, etc, all comes through your cell connection. If there is traffic data for a location, and Google sends it, you will get it, whether you are using the internal GPS (not an option on Verizon) or an external GPS. If you drive into an area with no cell signal but a clear view of the sky, the GPS will still work, but you won't have maps. In an underground parking garage, you'll have nothing.
    08-27-08 08:19 PM
    Thank you for the quick reply
    08-28-08 07:20 AM
    I am a complete newbie on BB Curve 8330 but love it.

Hi, I am getting this following message when trying to install.
    No GPS SENSOR HAS BEEN SET UP. Then it says something like NO. Also I get this message, NO BLUETOOTH GPS SENSOR FOUND. No options for adding bluetooth GPS. Please help. I read good stuff about this. I talked with Verizon and they will not help me on this. Something about GPS locked out except for thier Navigator. I am running o/s 4.5.

Thanks
    12-15-08 01:32 PM
    Verizon has just unlocked the internal GPS in their products for use with BBMaps and VZNav. All the other mapping vendors (Nav4All, Google, etc) will have to modify their programs to work with the internal GPS. Fortunately, this is now possible. Previously Verizon would not allow it, now they do, but their CS folks can't reasonably be expected to provide support for 3rd party competing products.

Nav4All will work fine with an external Bluetooth GPS receiver. I've used it with my Freedom Keychain 2000. You have to have the Freedom paired with the 8330 before Nav4All can use it.
    12-15-08 01:57 PM
    i have a bb 8330 on verizon, it pairs but wont work. I emailed the company but have heard nothing please help.........
    05-06-09 06:09 PM
    i have a bb 8330 on verizon, it pairs but wont work. I emailed the company but have heard nothing please help.........
    After you have paired with the Blackberry, and with the Freedom Keychain 2000 turned ON, go to Manage Connections / Bluetooth Options / Keychain GPS 2000 / Menu / Device Properties / Menu / Refresh Service List.

You will first see the message: "Waiting for Keychain GPS 2000"

Watch closely. If next you see this message: "Unable to connect to Keychain GPS 2000" flash on the screen, turn the Keychain 2000 off and back on again and try again. You have to watch. The message will appear momentarily, then go away.

Once you have successfully refreshed the list, the blue light on the phone should start blinking.

Note: Google Maps cannot keep the Freedom Keychain 2000 locked. The puck requires a regular acknowledgement from the device, or it goes into battery-saver mode and drops the bluetooth connection. Google Maps is unable to provide this acknowledgement. Blackberry Maps can. So if you want to run Google Maps, it will be necessary to start Blackberry Maps first, let it sync with the GPS, then exit it without closing it and start Google Maps. If you do this, Google Maps will run with no problem.
    05-06-09 09:06 PM
    the phone gets a yellow circle next to bluetooth on, unlike my head set. what else could be going on? Is it not compatible with my 8330 verizon? Is it defective??? Thank you.....
    05-07-09 03:47 AM
    The Freedom Keychain 2000 is compatible with your Verizon 8330. It's possible it's defective. I've talked to one other user who had a defective one. The company replaced it. What happened when you performed the refresh test that I described above?
    05-07-09 06:01 AM
    You can use GPS for free on verizon why pay for it?

All you do is go to advanced options and change your gps from 911 only to locations on.

Then go to maps and turn gps navigation on. And there you go! Free gps and it works great for me.
    05-07-09 06:15 AM
    I got the same result. It pairs fine, but the bluetooth light stays yellow and the gps says there is no gps device attached.....I am so annoyed, I am almost speechless. How can I return it, do you have that number to call? I tried the one in NV but it just rang??? Thank you soooo much....

Johnny
    05-07-09 08:59 AM
    There are several apps that I've tried to use that have had problems using the GPS in my 8330
    05-07-09 09:03 AM
    I would check their website for return instructions. Or, if you bought it from CrackBerry, return it to them. I haven't tried to return anything to Freedom, but the other guy with a defective unit got his replaced with no difficulty.

05-07-09 09:03 AM
    My friend borrowed my Holux M1000 Bluetooth GPS reciever, that i use to use with my dell axim x51v, for his verizon 8330 and it worked like a charm with google maps... So i am almost positive that one will not give you any problems and it is only 40 bucks now...
    05-07-09 09:06 AM
    My friend borrowed my Holux M1000 Bluetooth GPS reciever, that i use to use with my dell axim x51v, for his verizon 8330 and it worked like a charm with google maps... So i am almost positive that one will not give you any problems and it is only 40 bucks now...
    You can also use the BT GPS Device... I have that one and it pairs up just fine...
    05-07-09 09:37 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD