So I've been reading about WIFI on the blackberry and thought I'd look a bit into it. Went to the instructions and tried to follow them and....no WIFI! I can't believe the 8330 doesn't have access to WIFI!
    07-08-08 07:12 AM
    wifi not available on verizon network
    07-08-08 07:14 AM
    The only Berries that have WiFi are detailed in my Complete WiFi Guide.

These are the xx20 models that are available currently. The Nextel iDEN Curve (8350) is supposed to have WiFi along with all of the 'next-gen- devices coming out the end of this year / beginning of next!!

Sorry
    07-08-08 07:14 AM
    wifi not available on verizon network
    Not true... this is device specific. Either your device has WiFi capability or it does not. It had nothing to do with the VZW network or infrastructure (although I have a feeling they would not let this happen for the life of them...)
    07-08-08 07:15 AM
    mcclure, your how to was how I got started into giving it a try, and of course didn't get very far lol

Glad to hear it's not just the V disabling a function on my phone like they did GPS!
    07-08-08 07:17 AM
    right and those devices are not available on the verizon network
    07-08-08 07:20 AM
    Other than wifi calling for the free minutes I don't understand why people think wifi on a blackberry is a big deal. If you have unlimited data why bother switching to wifi? Doesn't it use more battery power to use wifi?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-08 07:21 AM
    Yeah... sorry you cannot indulge in WiFi

I am sure your data plan is adequate!! But... you can always consider a move to TMo I enjoy my unlimited, free WiFi calling and I currently do not have a data plan (as I am trying to get by with only WiFi). Pretty nice money saver.

Even if you go with TMo and get unlimited data... you can get a Minutes and Mail plan for $60/month. 1000 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text!
    07-08-08 07:21 AM
    I didn't know why either sgocka, that's why I wanted to try it and see what the hubbub was about! Guess it's a moot point for me now lol
    07-08-08 07:22 AM
    Other than wifi calling for the free minutes I don't understand why people think wifi on a blackberry is a big deal. If you have unlimited data why bother switching to wifi? Exactly. The WiFi is not crucial, but a nice added feature. The free UMA calling is nice...

Doesn't it use more battery power to use wifi? No.

But I agree... if you have unlimited data on your carrier then the WiFi is not critical. But is is convenient!
    07-08-08 07:23 AM
    Free wifi calling from home does seem pretty cool. But doesn't tmo offer unlimited voip for another $10 a month?

07-08-08 07:26 AM
    Free wifi calling from home does seem pretty cool. But doesn't tmo offer unlimited voip for another $10 a month?

The Hotspot@Home is awesome!! College students can make free calls all over campus or in an apartment. Business men can make calls from the office. Anyone can make calls from home, the coffee shop, library... the list goes on!! Any WiFi connection you can get on, you can make unlimited calls over UMA for FREE!! This is great!!

TMobile did just launch the TMobile @Home service.... which I just added as well. This is nice because it is VoIP and I can still have a landline for only 10 bucks a month!! This includes call waiting, caller ID, conference calling, voice mail... Great Value!!
    07-08-08 08:22 AM
    Other than wifi calling for the free minutes I don't understand why people think wifi on a blackberry is a big deal. If you have unlimited data why bother switching to wifi? Doesn't it use more battery power to use wifi?

it's faster than EV-DO Rev.A (1.5MB/s vs. 6.75MB/s) and uses less power. plus on wifi, you can talk and use data at the same time.
    07-08-08 09:20 AM
    So I guess wifi does have it's perks. Damn verizon.

07-08-08 09:27 AM
    will verizon be offering WiFi on the new BB's in the future (thunder or Bold)
    07-09-08 07:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD