Has anyone tried the AAA Mobile service offered by Verizon? I am a AAA member, but before I subscribe I was wondering if the mapping program actually uses the GPS or just the towers?
    03-14-08 06:36 AM
    If you go to the AAA Mobile site at http://http://www.aaa.com/AAAMobile you'll see it doesn't list any Blackberry devices when you go to Verizon. It does list BB devices for Sprint.

For Verizon it only shows non-BB devices and using the Verizon Get It Now application which is on their non-BB phones to access/use the service.
    03-14-08 12:19 PM
    since Verizon disable the GPS on BB, will this still work on BB?

if it still does, does it use Cell Tower Triangulation like Google Map?
    03-15-08 01:57 AM
    As I posted above, the AAA site does NOT list a Blackberry device as being supported when using Verizon.
    03-15-08 07:43 AM
    As I posted above, the AAA site does NOT list a Blackberry device as being supported when using Verizon.
    The only way to get GPS on a Varizon phone is to subscribe to VZ Navigator.
    03-16-08 03:10 PM
    The only way to get GPS on a Varizon phone is to subscribe to VZ Navigator.
    or use an external bluetooth GPS which works fine with most 3rd party apps.
    03-16-08 03:16 PM
    I should have known....
    Thanks for the feedback!
    03-17-08 05:49 AM
    As a bit of follow-up....if you go to the AAAMobile site you will see carrier logos at the bottom of the page. If you click on the logo, you will see their supported phones. I had gotten an email from AAA, and saw that there was a BB 8830 version, but missed the links I just mentioned. Of course I was pretty fired up thinking the service was available on Verizon... Like I just said...I should have known...
    03-17-08 05:55 AM
    Yeah, I posted that in my initial reply to you.
    03-17-08 06:00 AM
    I used it on my u540. it was cool because you attach your AAA number to it and if assistance is needed you can send your info direct to them from within the app. It basically is VZ Navigator but with AAA plastered all over it.

I wish they would let us use it because I liked being able to use my AAA number for something, lol. Google maps and the cell tower maps are junk. google tells me "here is your location (within 1700 ft.)" haha. I'll stick with VZ nav. throughout the city but on long trips I'll use my Garmin. Minutes are to valuable to spend on an 8 hour GPS ride.

Verizons paranoia with locking out nice features really irritates me and has given me alot of days thinking of dumping them. If it weren't for my inlaws being on Verizon and getting free mobile to mobile with them then I would be switching. Best reception or not it's unacceptable.
    Last edited by keisur; 08-14-08 at 10:47 AM.
    08-14-08 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";