Was in the Verizon store today and the rep said that they are expecting new software within the next 3 weeks that will unlock the GPS for 3rd party apps. I hope he wasn't blowing smoke up my ****.
    05-23-09 11:37 PM
    At this time, it would just be rumor. This would be the first I have heard about it myself.
    05-23-09 11:52 PM
    When all else fails.. Google it..
    05-24-09 12:25 AM
    that would be sweet if it was true
    05-24-09 02:06 AM
    That would be great. I'd love to use GPS with GoogleMaps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 12:12 PM
    Interesting. I've been in constant commumications with them on this matter lately. Instead of taking the same old attitude that I couldn't make a difference, I kept e-mailing back the level one folks asking to speak with the president/vice president of Verizon Wireless or at minimum the pres of marketing and leaving my mobile number in each e-mail. After several e-mails, I got a call from the "Office of executive operations" whatever that is but it seemed as though it may have been fairly high level. A nice lady and myself had about a 20 minute talk on the matter. In no way am I saying I'm some sort of big difference maker on this issue but if it somehow shakes out, I'll be a happy person.
    05-24-09 12:23 PM
    From my understanding it is a hardware issue, not software. I dont think that this is true, but hey I could be wrong.

Heres to wishful thinking/hoping!
    05-24-09 01:01 PM
    Its not a hardware issue...GPS is GPS....I doubt we will have new software that soon however...we have heard nothing about it until some random Verizon sales rep says something...highly doubt it...
    05-24-09 02:34 PM
    Was in the Verizon store today and the rep said that they are expecting new software within the next 3 weeks that will unlock the GPS for 3rd party apps. I hope he wasn't blowing smoke up my ****.
    Ask him if you can have that in writing....
    05-24-09 02:35 PM
    You really can't trust what the reps say at all....When I worked for AT&T we were told dozens of times by the Nokia rep that we would be getting the Nokia N95 within a month....Yet AT&T still has no N series Nokia's.

When I worked for Sprint the RIM rep told us we would be getting a touchscreen BB called the "Breeze" in Q1...

That was the only time I've ever even heard of the Breeze...I thought it sounded a little strange
    05-24-09 02:40 PM
    You really can't trust what the reps say at all....When I worked for AT&T we were told dozens of times by the Nokia rep that we would be getting the Nokia N95 within a month....Yet AT&T still has no N series Nokia's.

When I worked for Sprint the RIM rep told us we would be getting a touchscreen BB called the "Breeze" in Q1...

That was the only time I've ever even heard of the Breeze...I thought it sounded a little strange

lol and that is why I don't discuss rumors and speculation with my customers.
    There is too much of that out there and I don't want or need people miffed with me.
    05-24-09 03:01 PM
    I'm just passing on what I was told just in case it may be true. Funny thing was that he said to keep an eye out on crackberry for further news on it.
    05-24-09 11:56 PM
    Sure would be nice if it was true and does happen..had I known about the locked GPS via verizon I would have re-thought going with them...oh well..still great service and great phone.

JC
    05-25-09 04:43 PM
    I hope it is unlocked on the upcoming Blackberry Tour
    05-25-09 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD