Does anyone know if the 8330 curve for verizon has GPS or aGPS? Also, why wont curves GPS work with google maps?

Thanks,
    Joe
    04-22-09 09:25 AM
    Does anyone know if the 8330 curve for verizon has GPS or aGPS? Also, why wont curves GPS work with google maps?

Thanks,
    Joe
    This has been beaten to death...
    Verizon locks the gps in their curve so that only verizon navigation software(which you have to pay for) and blackberry maps allow it to work.. everything else needs to use cell triangulation which isnt nearly as accurate...

**** i am a sprint customer and i even know the verizon carrier forum has a petition against verizon for this issue that they outline very clearily..
    04-22-09 09:27 AM
    Thanks for the answer, even if it was dripping with rudeness. I don't get to spend all of my life looking a these forums, when I do have time, I will ask questions that I would like to have answers too.
    04-22-09 09:32 AM
    Sorry if we sound rude, but when the same threads pop up literally every week, it can just get annoying sometimes. Before asking a question it never hurts to do a quick search of the forums to see if it's come up before so you can at least add to a previous thread if one exists already.
    04-22-09 09:36 AM
    I got you. Thanks for the google maps answer. Wunder, do know if the curve uses GPS or aGPS?
    04-22-09 09:38 AM
    I got you. Thanks for the google maps answer. Wunder, do know if the curve uses GPS or aGPS?
    8330 uses GPS.. i dont know if it is WAAS enabled
    04-22-09 09:40 AM
    The Curve uses GPS (I don't think it has WAAS), but on the Verizon 8330, the internal GPS chip will only use BBMaps and VZNav currently. And as noted above, a quick search (even a cursory glance) would have revealed multitudes of information the subject.
    04-22-09 12:00 PM
    All CDMA curves use

� Cellsite: Which is the least accurate but the fastest location mode, uses cellsite towers that attempt to provide triangulated GPS information.

� Assisted: Which is more accurate than the Cellsite fix but not as fast, uses the network in an assisted search.

� Autonomous (Standalone): Which yields the most accurate fix but provides the first fix the slowest, uses the on-board GPS chip

But on Verizon Curves Cellsite and Autonomous are not supported. Assisted works but only for BB Maps because Verizon requires all third-party applications to have a valid Client ID and Password for access to their Location Proxy Server.
    04-22-09 01:06 PM
    All CDMA curves use

� Cellsite: Which is the least accurate but the fastest location mode, uses cellsite towers that attempt to provide triangulated GPS information.

� Assisted: Which is more accurate than the Cellsite fix but not as fast, uses the network in an assisted search.

� Autonomous (Standalone): Which yields the most accurate fix but provides the first fix the slowest, uses the on-board GPS chip

But on Verizon Curves Cellsite and Autonomous are not supported. Assisted works but only for BB Maps because Verizon requires all third-party applications to have a valid Client ID and Password for access to their Location Proxy Server.
    Pretty sure Verizon curves support Cellsite or atleast assisted beyond BB Maps since google maps works on verizon...
    04-22-09 01:09 PM
    BB maps works no problem. Google maps kind of works with the curve, it only does the cell tower triangulation. It gives me the location with like 1000 meters.
    04-22-09 01:17 PM
    The Curve uses GPS (I don't think it has WAAS), but on the Verizon 8330, the internal GPS chip will only use BBMaps and VZNav currently. And as noted above, a quick search (even a cursory glance) would have revealed multitudes of information the subject.
    Your right, I should have taken a look. Just p#$$es me off when folks automatically jump on you.
    04-22-09 01:18 PM
    Your right, I should have taken a look. Just p#$$es me off when folks automatically jump on you.
    Dude sorry if it seemed like i jumped on you.. i might have been a little pissed and added that into the post.. but i still answered the question.. i have been on forums before (like xbmc forums) that if the answer is in the wiki, people will refuse to answer the question and just say go read the wiki... i am not like that, i will still give you teh answer but want you to understand you really need to search for stuff before you post in the future cause there are indepth articles...
    Also whenever people post sprint vs verizon in teh forum.. the topic has been beaten to death, burned, buried, then paved over and a house built on it and people always seem to bring the argument back up in a new thread.. seems like they do it just to **** people off
    Last edited by numus; 04-22-09 at 01:22 PM. Reason: HOW IS P I S S A BAD WORD?!?!?!?
    04-22-09 01:22 PM
    Pretty sure Verizon curves support Cellsite or atleast assisted beyond BB Maps since google maps works on verizon...
    Google Maps does not use Cellsite triangulation. What Google does is looks at the Cell tower ID you are on and runs it through their own database to display where you are.
    04-22-09 01:29 PM
    Google Maps does not use Cellsite triangulation. What Google does is looks at the Cell tower ID you are on and runs it through their own database to display where you are.
    Guess that makes sense also... Ehh doesn't matter to me in teh end.. i have full use of my gps
    04-22-09 01:31 PM
    Thats why Google Maps works on phones without a GPS chip
    04-22-09 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD