So I've just upgraded my 9900 to 7.1.0.342, and of course I didn't hesitate to do a "battery pull", and will repeat a couple of times in the next few days to make sure my new OS "beds in" properly. But I find myself asking why on earth it should make a difference - either I should be pulling the battery frequently, whatever OS version I'm running, to clear out whatever's clogging up my BB, or it should just require one battery pull after loading the new OS.

Isn't the effectiveness of the battery pull just an old wives' (or old floppy-disk PC users') tale?
    04-22-12 07:13 AM
    I would reset my blackberry maybe once a day. It seemed to help. It definitely freed up RAM (according to the monitor I used).

Because of this I actually reset whichever phone I'm using at least once a day.

I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary to be honest but it doesn't hurt.
    04-22-12 07:28 AM
    I've never don't a battery-pull after a new OS update my self....on that note though the 9550 hasn't seen an update in years LOL. I'd imagine that RIM knows what they are doing enough to make an OS that you don't need to restart your device a few times to make it work.

you can also hit alt+shift+del for a reset with you physically pulling the battery, just an FYI encase you didn't know
    04-22-12 07:37 AM
    I do a reboot or two after an OS upgrade out of habit since the one time years ago when it DID help my 8703e stop acting weird after an OS upgrade.

Other than that only if my phone starts acting wonky. I go weeks or months between pulls on both the Bold and Torch. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I rarely have to do that.
    04-22-12 07:37 AM
    I used quickpull to restart my storm daily and when I got my 9860 I found it was losing some memory as well so I downloaded quickpull and very rarely have any problems whatsoever. I do know that before I started using qp on my 9860, it would work great for a few days and then it would eventually start to slow down and/or freeze.

As for doing a pull after loading a new os, I always just did one and never had any problems. So I'm not sure if it is necessary anymore or not.
    04-22-12 07:59 AM
    I don't think a battery pull is just a "myth", on several occasions with all of my BlackBerry devices, the phone corrected itself after a battery pull was done. I realize some devices never need battery pulls.....I wonder it the "new" BlackBerry devices will be battery pull free?
    04-22-12 08:06 AM
    I think bb10 phones will be "pull free". BB10 is the next evolution of the pb os and I never have to restart my pb.
    04-22-12 08:14 AM
    I think bb10 phones will be "pull free". BB10 is the next evolution of the pb os and I never have to restart my pb.
    I sure hope so, I'm kinda tired of the "pulling" .....
    04-22-12 08:18 AM
    Battery pull is definitely not a myth, especially after a fresh OS install. You should do at least one extra after the first boot; I always do two, with more to follow after the inevitable app (re-)upgrades.
    04-22-12 08:19 AM
    I've heard this both ways. On a related topic, is there ANY difference between a physical battery pull and the alt-shift-del method?
    04-22-12 08:44 AM
    I've heard this both ways. On a related topic, is there ANY difference between a physical battery pull and the alt-shift-del method?
    I have heard that a battery pull with the battery out for at least 30 seconds drains any residual energy out of the hardware and circuits and stuff and is more effective as a cold boot than the three-finger salute. It does make sense, although I haven't seen anything scientific to substantiate it.
    oldtimeBBaddict and jafobabe like this.
    04-22-12 09:59 AM
    I have done battery pulls when I upgrade. It does help get everything seated correctly from what I have experienced. Also when you delete an App from your device, it has you reboot anyway.

As for anything else, I usually change batteries about once or twice a month when I notice that the charge isn't holding as long...... which reminds me.. It's time to switch out the battery.

So it's a two fer one win!
    Last edited by jafobabe; 04-22-12 at 11:36 AM.
    04-22-12 11:33 AM
    Whether the 99xx needs it or not, I still do soft reboots to clear out old cobwebs every so often. Such is the nature of "flash" memory. I do regularly clear my browsers cache. Everything has been running smoothly for months, so I will probably never change my habits.
    04-22-12 12:45 PM
    I think its hard to argue against the battery pull being effective. A BlackBerry will always feel a bit more responsive and new after a battery pull, I've never seen anyone say different.

As for whether or not it's needed after an OS install, its probably debatable. A battery pull is a minor inconvenience though and it definitely can't hurt, so why not?
    04-22-12 04:26 PM
    I haven't had to do but maybe one battery pull since owning my 9900 in October. Blackberry devices of old required them often. OS7 is much better. I would only do a pull if the phone just isn't responding.
    04-22-12 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD