I tried searching and could not find any answers...pretty much anywhere, so here goes.

Here's my question. I recently was told from an AT&T rep that if you put in your sim card from your phone into an aircard for your laptop, data services would not work. I didn't believe him. So i purchased a 3G aircard, threw my 8310's 3G sim card into it, configured the connection for wap.cingular instead of isp.cingular and bam, on the internet surfing at about 3mb, pretty fast!! So, obviously this works and AT&T lied to me, I figure if I'm paying for unlimited data through BIS, I should be able to browse as much as possible right? So that's what I'm doing. The huge question is, will they charge me? Technically this is NOT tethering as I am not even using my phone (as a modem, or gateway), but my unlimited data services from my plan and the sim from my existing line. I won't bother calling AT&T since the original rep told me this wouldn't even work.

Keep in mind this is just like putting your sim card in another phone such as a blackjack or another bb and the data works just fine......

So what do you guys think??
    09-03-08 10:02 PM
    Keep in mind this is just like putting your sim card in another phone such as a blackjack or another bb and the data works just fine......

Nice find and good question. I'm interested to see how this pans out. The only hitch I see is that although you have unlimited data, there IS a ceiling that most carriers will tolerate. Say your carriers is 8g, now your using your pc and hitting 30+g of data. Thats gonna send up a flag. Now they might attempt to charge you but it wont stick, don't volunteer this info though. But what is more likely is that they would terminate your contract. They can and will. Seen it before. Good Luck and welcome to CB!
    09-03-08 10:18 PM
    oh absolutely. I would definately not be using this as a primary connection. Just as a swift alternative in situations I would need quick access.
    09-03-08 10:28 PM
    this one's fallin through the cracks...any other takers?
    09-06-08 05:04 PM
    How did you change your setting to wap.cingular from isp.cingular? Was this done on your blackberry before incerting it into the 3G aircard? or is thi done with the 3G aircard's software, once connected to your PC? Sorry if this is a dumb question...I haven't purchased a aircard yet, but I was planning to do so and want to determine if I have to get another wireless plan through AT&T or just us my current unlimited data plan. Thanks in advance.

I tried searching and could not find any answers...pretty much anywhere, so here goes.

Here's my question. I recently was told from an AT&T rep that if you put in your sim card from your phone into an aircard for your laptop, data services would not work. I didn't believe him. So i purchased a 3G aircard, threw my 8310's 3G sim card into it, configured the connection for wap.cingular instead of isp.cingular and bam, on the internet surfing at about 3mb, pretty fast!! So, obviously this works and AT&T lied to me, I figure if I'm paying for unlimited data through BIS, I should be able to browse as much as possible right? So that's what I'm doing. The huge question is, will they charge me? Technically this is NOT tethering as I am not even using my phone (as a modem, or gateway), but my unlimited data services from my plan and the sim from my existing line. I won't bother calling AT&T since the original rep told me this wouldn't even work.

09-08-08 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD