I'm visiting Canada, but since I am only visiting for a few days, I decided not to bother with adding the international plan to my phone. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that I would still be able to use free WiFis while I am up here. However, my experience has been that the WiFi on my bold only works when the mobile network is also activated.

Naturally I don't want to rack up roaming charges. So let me ask...

does the wifi on the Bold only work when the mobile network is also activated?

if I KNOW that I am within range of free wifi (like when I am just a few feet away from the router!!), and both the mobile network and wifi are activated, will I be charged for roaming if I check my email or a webpage?

Thanks!
    07-06-09 06:58 PM
    No...and no.

I'm visiting Canada, but since I am only visiting for a few days, I decided not to bother with adding the international plan to my phone. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that I would still be able to use free WiFis while I am up here. However, my experience has been that the WiFi on my bold only works when the mobile network is also activated.

Naturally I don't want to rack up roaming charges. So let me ask...

does the wifi on the Bold only work when the mobile network is also activated?

if I KNOW that I am within range of free wifi (like when I am just a few feet away from the router!!), and both the mobile network and wifi are activated, will I be charged for roaming if I check my email or a webpage?

Thanks!
    07-06-09 07:23 PM
    No...and no.
    Not entirely true. Not all apps are WiFi enabled or they are but also require a data connection to function.
    07-06-09 07:35 PM
    you could temporarily suspend any incoming/outgoing data from server to phone by talking to att CS. that way, data is enabled on ur phone, but you will be using wifi connection, and not using data plan, with confidence/reassurance.
    07-06-09 07:50 PM
    Thanks all, I spent some time messing with my phone this evening and I think I figured out my problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but...

to use a particular wifi network, I think I have to go to setup/setup wifi, and set up the network. I also think I have to do this for each network I want to connect to... so for example, I can't go from hotel to museum to coffee shop and back to the hotel, using wifi at each stop, without setting up each individual network.

Thanks!
    07-06-09 07:52 PM
    No...and no.
    Thats some HUGE misinformation...

I was in Mexico a couple months ago (prior to the Swine Flu outbreak...lol) and thats all I did!

I used wi-fi and got my emails, bbm's and web apps FLAWLESSLY!

Try it now, go to wireless manager, un-check the "Mobile Network" and then check the "Wi-fi" and you're good to go!
    07-06-09 08:39 PM
    Did you have to manually set up the wifi network(s) by going to "setup/setup wifi"? Or did it work automatically?
    07-06-09 08:42 PM
    Did you have to manually set up the wifi network(s) by going to "setup/setup wifi"? Or did it work automatically?
    The first time you connect to that particular network, yes, you do have to manually set up the wifi network(s), but after that, it automatically connects.
    07-06-09 08:58 PM
    The only misinformation here is that you misunderstood what I said. I did exactly what you did in Mexico and that's how I know my apps worked flawlessly too. So we are in agreement. As to the previous poster who said that this is not entirely true...I must be lucky with the apps that I use, as they all work on wi-fi only!

Thats some HUGE misinformation...

I was in Mexico a couple months ago (prior to the Swine Flu outbreak...lol) and thats all I did!

I used wi-fi and got my emails, bbm's and web apps FLAWLESSLY!

Try it now, go to wireless manager, un-check the "Mobile Network" and then check the "Wi-fi" and you're good to go!
    07-07-09 07:51 PM
    The first time you connect to that particular network, yes, you do have to manually set up the wifi network(s), but after that, it automatically connects.
    Almost. I think I know what you mean, but to be clear, you don't have to "manually" set it up. You can search and have it find the networks for you automatically. And yes, it will reconnect as long as you save the network and PSK string or password. Also, if it's a hotspot location, you still may need to reenter the password every x hours. Like you have to login again at some hotels every 24 hours.
    07-08-09 12:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD