This is something that just doesn't make sense, and it's becoming very frustrating as last night it completely confused me when trying to fault-find on my home Internet connection.

On my BB Bold, when connected to Wifi the Wifi icon doesn't show bright white until I get the 3 green ticks in the "Blackberry Infrastructure" section of "Wifi Diagnostics". I used to be puzzled by that but didn't think too deeply. However, with no Internet via Wifi this morning (router problems) I still managed to surf the web, and the Wifi icon was bright white. So obviously it is going via BIS all the time even though I want it to go through Wifi. I have also discovered that things like streaming video will go through Wifi and not BIS. So all these months I thought I was using Wifi for surfing, I actually wasn't!

Maybe I should be using Hotspot mode or something? What I'd like to do is use the Internet via Wifi, unless I'm not in range of my router, when I want it to use BIS. I THOUGHT it was doing that but for web surfing, it seems not.

Is Hotspot the answer please? Something else?
    Thanks!
    Geoff.
    05-06-09 05:32 AM
    bright white = fully connected over WIFI, shaded out means not connected in one way or another, that includes BB infrastructure.

it sounds like you might have been using another WIFI network? perhaps a neighbouring building has an unsecured network youve previously saved?
    05-06-09 05:36 AM
    bright white = fully connected over WIFI, shaded out means not connected in one way or another, that includes BB infrastructure.

it sounds like you might have been using another WIFI network? perhaps a neighbouring building has an unsecured network youve previously saved?
    Thanks for your quick reply. I'm definitely on my own Wifi network, and the icon was full bright and it was definitely not using wifi, as I had no Internet from my ISP when I was testing things this morning. Also the fact that it doesn't go bright white unless I'm connected with BIS indicates that it 'wants' to use BIS for Internet and not Wifi.

Geoff.
    05-06-09 05:39 AM
    Well .... when the wifi icon is bright white, it means you are connected to the wifi network and you can use data services over wifi. Do you have the RIM LOGO by the signal bars?

I use wifi at home and work. My browser is set to Internet Browser. When connected to wifi, the device always choose wifi to browse the internet. The device switches autmatically to 3G when i go out of wifi range.

Try resetting your router and do a battery pull on the bold. Add the network and save it on the device... See whether it helps ..

Checkout the Complete Wifi : How To guide !
    Last edited by ST79; 05-06-09 at 05:43 AM.
    05-06-09 05:41 AM
    Well .... when the wifi icon is bright white, it means you are connected to the wifi network and you can use data services over wifi.

I use wifi at home and work. My browser is set to Internet Browser. When connected to wifi, the device always choose wifi to browse the internet. The device switches autmatically to 3G when i go out of wifi range.

Try resetting your router and do a battery pull on the bold. Add the network and save it on the device... See whether it helps ..
    I've done many battery pulls and router resets, but that doesn't solve this. This is something that's been happening since I bought the phone months ago, but I've only just realised. I'm still very confused by this because what you're telling me really isn't what I'm seeing happening for me. The bright white icon does not appear (it's only grey) when it's connected to Wifi, it only appears once it's ALSO connected to BIS. I am 100% on that as I've observed this many many times.

I know I'm saying that I definitely had no Internet this morning but I'll rephrase it - My PC and Laptop had no Internet while connecting to my router/modem. My Bold was connected to my Access Point, plugged into a LAN port of that router/modem. So I'd be surprised if my Bold was able to get Internet via my AP but my PC's weren't.

I will take a look at that link, it may answer some of my questions, so thanks for that. I'll just say lastly - Are you SURE you are using Wifi when you think you are? I've believed I have been all this time but now I don't think I am. Why else would the icon not go bright white until it's connected to BIS even though it IS connected to Wifi?

[Edit]: As for the RIM Logo - I do right now but not honestly sure if that's usually there or not.
    05-06-09 05:50 AM
    I had the same problem. What worked for me was firmware upgrade for my router and my bold. It did wonders.
    05-06-09 06:23 AM
    I had the same problem. What worked for me was firmware upgrade for my router and my bold. It did wonders.
    I've kept my firmware up to date.

I have read through the article mentioned in a post above, and that's helped. I've changed my settings so I'm always using the Hotspot browser instead of the Internet browser. I then disconnected my Internet to prove it was using Wifi, and it was, and then it did switch to using BIS after a short wait, then back to Wifi again once I reconnected it.

I'm still confident that it doesn't show the bright white Wifi icon until it's connected to the BIS servers though. Maybe it uses that as an indication that my Internet is properly connected, even if it doesn't actually go through those? So I guess it's connecting to BIS via wifi in that case. In fact my emails would come via that route wouldn't they? Or if I lose Wifi, they'll come via my mobile phone network.

Anyway I THINK I'm understanding what's going on now. LOL.

Geoff.
    05-06-09 06:38 AM
    I've kept my firmware up to date.

I have read through the article mentioned in a post above, and that's helped. I've changed my settings so I'm always using the Hotspot browser instead of the Internet browser. I then disconnected my Internet to prove it was using Wifi, and it was, and then it did switch to using BIS after a short wait, then back to Wifi again once I reconnected it.

I'm still confident that it doesn't show the bright white Wifi icon until it's connected to the BIS servers though. Maybe it uses that as an indication that my Internet is properly connected, even if it doesn't actually go through those? So I guess it's connecting to BIS via wifi in that case. In fact my emails would come via that route wouldn't they? Or if I lose Wifi, they'll come via my mobile phone network.
    Anyway I THINK I'm understanding what's going on now. LOL.

Geoff.
    Yes ... when the wifi icon is white, you can use BIS services over wifi and when you move out of wifi coverage, it will be through your carrier's network..

Glad that the wifi guide helped you .... Welcome to CB!
    05-06-09 07:09 AM
    Yes ... when the wifi icon is white, you can use BIS services over wifi and when you move out of wifi coverage, it will be through your carrier's network..

Glad that the wifi guide helped you .... Welcome to CB!
    Ok that's great, and thanks for the welcome.
    05-06-09 09:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";