Hello,

I have a 6 year old Nokia Symbian phone. I read that Whatsapp will stop supporting Symbian and I was looking into buying a new(er) phone.
    I don't want to use Android or Apple devices.

I really liked the Blackberry Passport, but then I saw support for blackberry will end also. I did not get a clear cut answer to the simple question:

1. On the morning of the 01.01.2017 onwards, will I still be able to send and receive messages on whatsapp from my contacts, or will my client not connect to their servers/stop working altogether? Please have an official reference, even whatsapp customer support refused to give me a clear answer, they keep repeating to me that the 'support will end' but that's too vague.

2. I read here on the forums that any app that can run on Android 4.3 can in theory run on BB10, is that truly the case, and can that be used to circumvent the problem and continue using whatsapp post 2016? Get the APK and install it?

3. If I have no use for apps (except Whatsapp), but I need a reliable device that will last me 5-6 years, is there a point buying a Passport now?
    I just need to be able to make calls, send/receive messages, and send/receive whatsapp messages. Do you think a passport will allow me to do it for a time of 5 years? Or should I try Lumia 650? I'm not interested in Android or Apple devices, and I have no other options!

Thank you!
    09-19-16 06:23 AM
    If you are not interested in BlackBerry android devices (dtek50 or Priv) then I would say you are out of luck. Unless bb10 upgrades the art it will eventually stop working.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 06:27 AM
    Please read my message again, as I said I'm not interested in any Android device.
    I know it will eventually stop working, everything will eventually stop working.
    I was asking specifically about a 5 year time.
    09-19-16 06:40 AM
    We don't know , just wait 1 January 2017
    09-19-16 06:42 AM
    Hello,

I have a 6 year old Nokia Symbian phone. I read that Whatsapp will stop supporting Symbian and I was looking into buying a new(er) phone.
    I don't want to use Android or Apple devices.

I really liked the Blackberry Passport, but then I saw support for blackberry will end also. I did not get a clear cut answer to the simple question:

1. On the morning of the 01.01.2017 onwards, will I still be able to send and receive messages on whatsapp from my contacts, or will my client not connect to their servers/stop working altogether? Please have an official reference, even whatsapp customer support refused to give me a clear answer, they keep repeating to me that the 'support will end' but that's too vague.

2. I read here on the forums that any app that can run on Android 4.3 can in theory run on BB10, is that truly the case, and can that be used to circumvent the problem and continue using whatsapp post 2016? Get the APK and install it?

3. If I have no use for apps (except Whatsapp), but I need a reliable device that will last me 5-6 years, is there a point buying a Passport now?
    I just need to be able to make calls, send/receive messages, and send/receive whatsapp messages. Do you think a passport will allow me to do it for a time of 5 years? Or should I try Lumia 650? I'm not interested in Android or Apple devices, and I have no other options!

Thank you!
    How is anyone supposed to tell you what will be working 5-6 years from now? Either buy the Passport and use it in the now, or don't.
    TgeekB and TGR1 like this.
    09-19-16 07:37 AM
    5 years is an awfully long time in the tech world to say with any type of certainty that it will still work. I don't think anyone (including manufacturers or developers would tell you that, even if they hoped it to be so).

That said, the Passport is capable of running Android apps up to their Jellybean version 4.3. This does include Whatsapp. It's not the perfect solution as it did work better on BB10 with Hub integration and there is a glitch with sending files, including pictures, to your contacts over Whatsapp. There is also a fix that does seem to work. The situation is not ideal but it is workable. There is a chance that another developer will step up and create an even better solution but that's not something you can count on either.

Honestly, if the cutoff date is the same on your device as it is for BB10 (and, I'm pretty sure it's the same across the board) you are better to wait and suss out the situation once support ends. Nobody has a time machine so there isn't any 'clear' or 'official' answer to be given until we get there.

The Passport is awesome. If Whatsapp is an absolutely crucial app for you though, it might not end up being the best choice for you. I guess keep your fingers crossed tightly as many of us are doing.
    NailsAndScrews and brian4591 like this.
    09-19-16 07:45 AM
    Thanks, these are good and informative points. I'd love to hear more about that fix you mentioned.
    And to clarify, when I say official or clear answer, I mean if someone heard or saw somewhere we are not aware of a statement from whatsapp, or if someone has an inside source somewhere, etc.

I don't expect people to know the future.
    09-19-16 07:54 AM
    Thanks, these are good and informative points. I'd love to hear more about that fix you mentioned.
    And to clarify, when I say official or clear answer, I mean if someone heard or saw somewhere we are not aware of a statement from whatsapp, or if someone has an inside source somewhere, etc.

As per WhatsApp's dev, it won't let BlackBerry phones connect to its servers
    Whether it will happen on the morning of 1.1.2017 or not, nobody can say
    But the dev mentioned it will happen eventually

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-19-16 09:37 AM
    I think I saw a headline a couple of days ago that Windows phone people announced they had a "walk-a-round" now and would still be able to use Whatsapp.

It would be great if it keeps working because I prefer typing on this thing than my iphone, but I'm not sure anyone truly knows what will happen. But I am preparing for it, and something telle me I won't like it...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-19-16 10:29 AM

Anyone who tells you it will definitely work in 2017 or definitely not work are blowing smoke because no one actually knows their plans. Their Android app could move beyond Android 4.3 at the end of the year. The word is that they are going to amp up their security and encryption in 2017. Will almost for sure obsolete all existing apps.
    09-19-16 10:37 AM
    I am having issues it says loading backup and does nothing after that.

Blackberry Passport black !
    09-19-16 10:43 AM
    As per WhatsApp's dev, it won't let BlackBerry phones connect to its servers
    Whether it will happen on the morning of 1.1.2017 or not, nobody can say
    But the dev mentioned it will happen eventually

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Is there a link available?
    09-19-16 11:15 AM
    Is there a link available?
    He is the WhatsApp dev

[ATTACH]408601[/ATTACH

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Attached Thumbnails Using whatsapp post 2016?-img_20160919_215709.png  
    NailsAndScrews likes this.
    09-19-16 11:27 AM
    Thanks! So we have our answer.

Now it comes to how long we estimate the 4.3 android walkaround will work, and will this time period justify buying a Passport.
    I guess it doesn't.
    Damn.
    09-19-16 12:00 PM
    Already migrated my BBs to iPhones, Whatsapp is doing fine now.
    09-19-16 12:31 PM
    WhatsApp has announced their plans to add significant new capabilities to their platform, and also to increase security. To do this, they will be disabling access to the WhatsApp servers from all but their own first-party clients - and only newer versions. WA has long built in deprecation dates into their clients to prevent people from using older clients for very long, and that mechanism will prevent older clients from working if nothing else does - but it seems quite clear that the newer clients will be changing soon - probably to include some additional security/encryption integration - preventing ALL older clients from working anyway.

The bottom line is: if WA is important to you, you're going to need to be using a mobile platform that actively-supported by WA - nothing else is likely to work. The Android Runtime on BB10 may work for a time, but more and more apps are targeting Android 4.4 or above - and older versions of Android are dropping pretty quickly. According to Google, the percentage of active Android devices accessing Google Play that are running v4.3 or anything below has fallen to 18.6% - which means more than 81% of Android devices are v4.4 or above. As the BB10 Android Runtime is permanently stuck at v4.3, that means support could disappear at any time (and not just for WhatsApp).

https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

It seems we are rapidly approaching the point where - if you need apps other than web apps - you're going to need to choose between relatively current versions of iOS or Android. The only alternative with active development from a stable company with real resources is WinPhone (or perhaps Tizen, though it's only been released on phones in a couple of emerging market countries, and only on entry-level hardware) - and WinPhone doesn't exactly enjoy a ton of developer support or marketshare either.
    brian4591 and web99 like this.
    09-19-16 06:43 PM

Need opinions about this^

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-20-16 02:27 AM
    Thanks! So we have our answer.

Now it comes to how long we estimate the 4.3 android walkaround will work, and will this time period justify buying a Passport.
    I guess it doesn't.
    Damn.
    You'll find at least 10 discussions where all of your doubts were cleared. The WhatsApp apk (slow, battery-draining and unable to upload photos) should be considered just a temporary fix for users who already bought a BB 10 device. It's not only a runtime matter: for example, the Facebook app, for Android, doesn't work anymore, and no one know why, although being technically compatible.
    That's all. The market is composed by Android and iOS, choose one. It's like on PCs, you can choose either Windows or Mac, or maybe Linux: you have fixed choices.
    09-20-16 03:27 AM
    Please read my message again, as I said I'm not interested in any Android device.
    I know it will eventually stop working, everything will eventually stop working.
    I was asking specifically about a 5 year time.
    Then iOS is your only option if you want a guaranteed supported OS for the next 5 years
    09-20-16 04:50 AM
    Then iOS is your only option if you want a guaranteed supported OS for the next 5 years
    Even apple doesn't update it's OS for 5 years
    It's working as long as it's working

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-20-16 08:05 AM
    If whatsapp is critical for you your choices are iOS and android. Given that whatsapp has recently announced its intention to be a data mining application for facebook, you may want to consider moving to another chat app like BBM.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-20-16 09:03 AM
    If whatsapp is critical for you your choices are iOS and android. Given that whatsapp has recently announced its intention to be a data mining application for facebook, you may want to consider moving to another chat app like BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Why? So that he can communicate with only the 30 other people that use it?

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-20-16 09:14 AM
    The iPhone 5 was released in September, 2012. It can run iOS 10, which will receive updates through at least September, 2017.
    Therefore, you are woefully misinformed.
    09-20-16 09:22 AM
    You are really living in the dark ages ....
    09-20-16 11:51 AM
    I would get the passport and switch to bbm. Even instagram is making a snap chat like feature. the android app still works on bb10

#luvmybb10os
    Last edited by silversmith75; 09-20-16 at 09:13 PM.
    09-20-16 04:37 PM
36 12