Anyone heard of this? I saw it a while back on a lexus. The guy sent a text message and the car started. Sent another and the doors unlocked.

Or is there a blackberry interface for a car alarm system by clifford, viper, etc?

What about home security, accessible via phone or SMS?

-Evan
    10-20-08 03:16 PM
    I know with ADT you can get text alerts about your home system sent to your phone. As for the car systems....that would be freakin sweet!
    10-20-08 03:30 PM
    I would be somewhat surprised if OnStar or similar services don't offer the same feature...are they probably will in the very near future.
    10-20-08 04:18 PM
    I agree if I could do this with my car that would be awesome!
    10-20-08 04:19 PM
    10-20-08 04:19 PM
    I'd be a little worried about someone stealing my car! A phone these days has almost enough information to steal someone's identity. Now, a signal could start it up and open the doors? Wow! Hee hee, nice idea..but I hope it also has a text to SHUT DOWN the car too.

What happens if you're away or out of town and accidentally text your car to start up? Hope you can shut it down too
    10-20-08 04:40 PM
    I'd be a little worried about someone stealing my car! A phone these days has almost enough information to steal someone's identity. Now, a signal could start it up and open the doors? Wow! Hee hee, nice idea..but I hope it also has a text to SHUT DOWN the car too.

What happens if you're away or out of town and accidentally text your car to start up? Hope you can shut it down too
    Just about every car starter on the market now will automatically shut off after a specific amount of time (usially 10-15 mins depending on programming), if the key hasn't been placed in the ignition & turned to the on position.

Also most of the higher end alarm/starters that are used have an auto kill switch installed (when done properly) that will automatically shut the car off & won't allow it to be restated via the remote (you have to manually start the vehicle with the key first to reset this feature).

I would imagine that if there is a unit that will connect to the brains of the alarm/starter in order to start the vehicle, there has to be a way to ensure that these key functions are used as well, especially if these features are programmed in the alarm/starter unit itself.
    10-20-08 04:52 PM
    what wold be cool is if your alarm clock on the phone would send the text to start your car
    10-20-08 04:52 PM
    Its all pretty cool sounding I would just worry about the security.
    10-20-08 06:02 PM
    it wouldnt be a security issue because every remote start system operates on the basic principle that without the key in the ignition, once you put your foot on the brake pedal the car cuts off. Its just a security feature so that when someone sees a car running without someone in it they cant just get in it and drive away without the keys. Its a cool idea using a text message to start the car, but I think its a lil easier to just hit 2 buttons at the same time on the remote or hitting the * button 2 times in a row to start the car but thats just me
    10-20-08 06:07 PM
    I am still looking for that mute button for the wife :>)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 06:51 PM
    it wouldnt be a security issue because every remote start system operates on the basic principle that without the key in the ignition, once you put your foot on the brake pedal the car cuts off. Its just a security feature so that when someone sees a car running without someone in it they cant just get in it and drive away without the keys. Its a cool idea using a text message to start the car, but I think its a lil easier to just hit 2 buttons at the same time on the remote or hitting the * button 2 times in a row to start the car but thats just me
    I agree 100%. No security issue unless you leave the key in the ignition. They should have a proximity senser. So you don't need a key. But you just have to have your blackberry with you. Now that would be sweet

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD