I have Rogers 30gig data plan on my BOLD. I assumed it could collect my email and use BBM while in the US for a couple weeks in March, I called rogers and they told me there would be a .60 cent for text messages. Got a $100 on my phone bill the following month. I am going to the US again in August for 2 weeks and still want to collect my emails and use BBM. I guess there is a roaming charge for data that I did not know about but if I use wireless, like at a hotel or Starbucks is there still a roaming charge?
    06-18-09 08:37 AM
    No there will not be a charge. As long as you disable the mobile network and leave only wifi enabled, you won't have to suffer through roaming charges! And if the bold supports uma, (I.e, it will connect to rogers thru wifi) then you can call and text and not be charged roaming because you will be connected to rogers thru the internet

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 09:29 AM
    I am not sure if raji.t noticed, but you have a Bold, which is not UMA enabled. UMA is enabled on Curve, Pearl and the 8900.

With UMA, you can connect to and access your plan from a Hotspot. If you turn off the carrier radio you will not recieve incomming calls, text or data until you are in a Hotspot.

Without UMA, only the Hotspot Browser. Calls, text and data will be charged roaming.

However, it is not difficult to enable UMA on Bold....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/uma...apping-218920/

06-18-09 10:23 AM
    I am not sure if raji.t noticed, but you have a Bold, which is not UMA enabled. UMA is enabled on Curve, Pearl and the 8900.
    Ah, thanks for the correction. Wow, if the 8900 has UMA shouldn't the Bold have it? It surely is a higher end device...
    06-18-09 10:47 AM
    Ah, thanks for the correction. Wow, if the 8900 has UMA shouldn't the Bold have it? It surely is a higher end device...
    You would think so, but the factory provisioning for UMA is not included in the Bold.

I suspect the fact that Bold is the Executive model is responsible for that decision. Executive typically want results now, they are far less inclined to seek out a hotspot to save some money.

Personal uses do appreciate the opportunity, particularly when several hundreds of $$$ are involved.

The OP mentioned $0.60 to recieve a SMS text message. I would suggest setting:

Options / Secutiry Options / Firewall. Block both SMS and MMS while roaming.
    06-18-09 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD