I am trying to find a way to fully utilize Blackberry's Enterprise Server functionality on my new 8330. I have an un-used copy of Microsoft Outlook 2007 on my home computer. Is it possible to have my personal email accounts redirected to an Outlook email account and then have instant email notification on my Blackberry?
    08-24-09 07:01 PM
    It doesnt redirect from outlook but rather than the mail server. BlackBerry Internet Service is the login to set up your account, or the e-mail setup wizard on your device itself.
    08-24-09 07:05 PM
    Will the link you gave above allow for instant email retrieval (push) or periodic email retrieval (pull)
    08-24-09 07:21 PM
    BlackBerry doesnt do pull natively. BlackBerry does push by default, the Gmail App is a noteable exception.
    08-24-09 07:22 PM
    It seems we aren't understanding each other. If I understand your last post correctly, blackberrys receive all emails instantly except for gmail? Does this instant email retrieval include other POP3 based emails such as yahoo, hotmail, etc.?
    08-24-09 07:32 PM
    No, that is not it at all. There is a seperate application for gmail that can be used in lieu of push. All native BlackBerry e-mail is push based whether it is instant or not. Take a look at the link in my sig for "How does BIS work" for a further explanation. Some e-mail is instant, while other e-mails are polled in 3 or 15 minute intervals.
    08-24-09 07:34 PM
    Thank you for that link! Just to further my understanding - the link does not cover Blackberry Enterprise Server.

That "coveted" feature of receiving email on your BB before it appears in your standard email only occurs when BlackBerry Enterprise Server is integrated with your work's email server and never with BIS.

More broadly, is Blackberry the only manufacturer that offers this BIS technology?
    08-24-09 07:51 PM
    Well there are many instant e-mail addresses now. Gmail is one of those. It should arrive at the same time or before it arrives in your web mail box on gmail.
    08-24-09 07:51 PM
    POP account will be polled by the RIM servers every 15 minutes and new emails instantly pushed to you. POP does not support a constant connection like IMAP does. IMAP accounts (assuming they support the IDLE command) will support a constant connection and as email comes in, it will be pushed instantly to your phone.

My AOL and my Gmail accounts are both IMAP and the email usually arrives about a split second before they show up in my Outlook inbox.
    08-25-09 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD