If i want to use my blackberry as a wifi only device is it possible for apps such as facebook, google maps, windows live messenger, yahoo messenger etc to still work even if i dont have a BIS connection?

I think my apps are set to connect through the BIS as when i try putting a different sim in my blackberry and turn the wifi on, it refuses to fully connect to the wifi. i dont know why.

it finds the SSID of my wifi but won't change the WIFI sign to fully on, what is the problem?

in theory i shouldn't need to even put a sim in at all to use it as a wifi only device, what have o2 done to stop it working?
    06-26-10 05:15 PM
    If i want to use my blackberry as a wifi only device is it possible for apps such as facebook, google maps, windows live messenger, yahoo messenger etc to still work even if i dont have a BIS connection?

I think my apps are set to connect through the BIS as when i try putting a different sim in my blackberry and turn the wifi on, it refuses to fully connect to the wifi. i dont know why.

it finds the SSID of my wifi but won't change the WIFI sign to fully on, what is the problem?

in theory i shouldn't need to even put a sim in at all to use it as a wifi only device, what have o2 done to stop it working?
    Unfortunately no. You can't use those apps without having a data plan. I'd love to use the facebook app and all but I only have the unlimited email + unlimited instant messaging data plan. Meaning I can use bbm, windows live messenger, yahoo and all but I can't browse without wifi. It sucks that blackberry doesn't allow us to use wifi for apps.
    06-26-10 06:32 PM
    Using my blackberry as a wifi only device with no BIS connection?
    Yes you can do that.

They won't work on Wifi but u can download a 3rd party program with msn & yahoo other chat program to use with wifi.
    06-27-10 04:08 PM
    How about something like Palringo IM for BB? Will that work on wifi only?
    06-28-10 04:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD