I am using both an iPhone4 and a BB Torch at the moment. My primary use for the Torch is for accessing StockStream realtime streaming market data. I haven't put a sim in yet and will do so but to only use as shared data device.

Q. I can access many websites via the browser and wifi but trying to use the StockStream app with I have downloaded and installed I get a "no APN specified" error. When I input internet.com as the APN I know get an error that says "tunnel failed" Will this NOT work without a sim card in it?

Thanks,
    Derek
    05-02-11 01:17 PM
    If there is no SIM card, there is no associated BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) account. BlackBerry application assume it will be present.

05-02-11 01:34 PM
    Thanks! So to confirm...It will NOT work...correct?

Thanks,
    Derek
    05-02-11 01:50 PM
    That is correct, for the vast majority of BlackBerry software.

I use the free Bloomberg client, it also needs the BIS connection.

05-02-11 02:42 PM
    That is correct, for the vast majority of BlackBerry software.

I use the free Bloomberg client, it also needs the BIS connection.

This is true for all blackberry native apps, as well as most third-party apps. Most require a BIS Account, even when using wifi... Unfortunately the torch without a SIM cannot be used the same way as an iphone without a SIM (itouch)

however, you could get a bb data plan and use your torch as the main phone, ans the iphone for everything else (wifi).

just a suggestion, depending how important the bb app is to you
    05-02-11 09:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD