I recently upgraded my paid application with new version (1.1).

But we have received users queries stating that they are required to pay even for an upgrade (of an application)..

As we all know that an app upgrade is always free for the user.

How to get rid of this problem ? Is there is setting/option we need to check while uploading new version of the application ?
    04-18-12 05:14 AM
    which app? maybe you was only on a free trial?
    04-18-12 05:15 AM
    In before the lock.
    04-18-12 06:21 AM
    We have uploaded an application with paid version (1.0) earlier. Now we uploaded new paid version with some changes & bug-fixes and rolled-out new version (1.1) and uploaded to App-world.

Now since, its just an upgrade, user must be able to upgrade his app for free. (that's understood and common across all other mobile platforms)

But i have received queries with regards to new version. User (when trying to upgrade the same app) was asked to pay for app-upgrade. I am confused how can this happen.

Have i missed something while uploading new version at Blackberry App-world ? please help. I need to resolve this issue.
    04-18-12 07:46 AM
    Have you verified that those who are saying they're getting charged for the upgrade did indeed pay for the previous version? There are some unscrupulous people out there who will claim they did, when they really didn't.
    04-18-12 07:58 AM
    None of you get what he is saying. Read carefully. He is the developer, not the user.
    04-18-12 07:58 AM
    Hello rmjones101,
    Thanks for the kind reply. But how do we verify whether the user has actually paid or not ? As u said, it might happen that somebody has done it unscrupulously.

Also, we didnt find any particular option/setting/check-box (while uploading new version i.e. 1.1) so that, it does not make user to pay for an upgrade ...(I am sorry for such foolish question.) I think Blackberry App-world handles such cases on its own.

Thanks again
    04-18-12 08:13 AM
    Does App World handle all of the licensing, or does it make calls to your server? Does your license verification process know to handle 1.x as the same app? It might be that App World is attempting to verify the license and is getting an error that the license doesn't exist.
    04-19-12 03:34 PM
    Happened to me. I paid for Quicklaunch. Bought it on a Monday, two weeks later asked me to upgrade and tried to charge me again. Deleted the app. I don't think the OP is talking about that type of situation though.
    04-19-12 04:06 PM
    Hello rmjones101,
    Thanks for the kind reply. But how do we verify whether the user has actually paid or not ? As u said, it might happen that somebody has done it unscrupulously.

Also, we didnt find any particular option/setting/check-box (while uploading new version i.e. 1.1) so that, it does not make user to pay for an upgrade ...(I am sorry for such foolish question.) I think Blackberry App-world handles such cases on its own.

Thanks again
    Ask them to show you a receipt from AppWorld.
    04-19-12 04:08 PM
    I'm not a developer, but it was my understanding that a developer can charge what they want for upgrades, most just send those out as free upgrades because that is what customers expect. It could be something in the way you sent out the app to app world, you may clicked a wrong setting or something. You should get in touch with RIM or whoever opperates app world to fix the situation.
    04-19-12 04:19 PM
    I don't understand why, as a user, I have to pay for upgrades to an app. Examples include BeBuzz and quicklaunch. On every other platforms and other apps I get upgrades for free
    04-19-12 04:21 PM
    Probably because the changes were so drastic and made many improvements that the dev felt that an increase was justified. More work = more money, whether you are working or paying. I just wish AW handled it differently.
    04-19-12 04:25 PM
    If you are a dev, and your customers need to pay for upgrades and you do not want them to, you need to talk to RIM about something you did wrong...

If you are a customer, and you are paying for an upgrade, maybe that is what the developer wanted... Do you pay for the latest Windows if you are a Windows user?

Just sayin...

Edit: Wouldn't it be funny to have the $500 dollar clock apps to have a $500 dollar upgrade...?
    OniBerry likes this.
    04-19-12 04:34 PM
    I wasn't even aware that you could be charged for updating apps. I'll say this, I would never pay for an update to an app, and if an app developer ever tried to charge me to update after I already paid for the app initially, I'd never purchase another app from them again.

Also, the comparison to Windows above is completely bogus. Because when you pay for Windows in that sense (going from Windows XP to Windows 7 for example) you are not paying for an update, you are paying for a completely new OS. If an app developer wants to re design and re release something as a new app that is one thing, paying for an update is another.
    Last edited by Joltcola1234; 04-19-12 at 05:23 PM.
    04-19-12 05:19 PM
    I had that issues with 2 apps.
    Multi-Alarms and
    FaceClock.

But there is no-one on App World that I can contact for help on this issue.
    I find it amusing that an app developer had to come to CB for assistance too. Shows that RIM has still got some ways in providing adequate customer service for their growing App World. Hopefully with improvements there, it'll attract more customers/developers to the platform.
    04-19-12 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD