I am trying to use my Storm 2 as a Wifi only device as I have switched to another phone. I have set up the Wifi connection to my router and disabled the mobile network. The problem is that only some applications are able to connect to the Internet successfully. I am able to send message through Blackberry Messenger and Pandora streams music but I cannot receive e-mails, load anything in the web browser or use the Facebook app. I am getting an error stating that the device could not connect to the Internet. Does annyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it?
    09-15-10 10:28 AM
    I am trying to use my Storm 2 as a Wifi only device as I have switched to another phone. I have set up the Wifi connection to my router and disabled the mobile network. The problem is that only some applications are able to connect to the Internet successfully. I am able to send message through Blackberry Messenger and Pandora streams music but I cannot receive e-mails, load anything in the web browser or use the Facebook app. I am getting an error stating that the device could not connect to the Internet. Does annyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it?
    If you removed BIS (service plan) to switch to your new phone you can't use anything BIS-related.
    09-15-10 11:03 AM
    OK that makes sense. Thank you
    09-15-10 11:10 AM
    Do u guys know if opera would work without a BIS?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-15-10 05:11 PM
    on the bb browser, make sure you have it set as hotspot browser under options. that will ensure that it will connect via wifi and the browser should work.

edit: not sure about opera. try it and let us know.
    09-15-10 06:55 PM
    Some applications use only BIS, for example you cannot make calls over wifi...that i know of and some applications especially the ones that PUSH use BIS, wifi if good if you are download heavy applications like podcast or browsing

Also defeating a myth.

You can talk on the phone and browse the web if you are using wifi!
    09-17-10 01:28 AM
    If you get the VPN set up correctly, you can stay connected to your company network (BES) using only WIFI. No carrier needed, no monthly fee for BES.
    09-18-10 07:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD