This was just a thought that came to mind while I was at the store today and I wanted to see what people knew about this or if it could work....

I have Chase as a bank and have their RealCash Debit card that has what they call Blink Technology, which is basically just where you tap your card on a reader instead of swiping it.

Now I believe what allows me to tap my card at these readers is a small square piece with my cards information on it that is inside the card on the right side just above the word blink and to the right a little(looking from the back) that I can just barely see a impression of it from the correct angle.

Now, could I cut this little square out and possibly put it somewhere behind the battery door and at the checkouts be able to tap the Blackberry at the reader? Could it pick up the signal the blink technology through the battery door? Would putting the Blackberry up to one of those readers possible cause any harm to it, like what happens when magnets are put on TVs?

I'm curious to know if something like this is possible and could be done? Or already done? Just a thought and any suggestions and comments are welcome!
    -mchruss03
    11-20-10 11:40 PM
    It probably wouldn't be able to read it through the battery door. Don't worry, future BB's will have NFC chips.

RIM CEO Touts The BlackBerry PlayBook, NFC For Phones
    11-21-10 12:00 AM
    Do a test, take of the battery door and next time you tap your card but the battery door in front of the card and see if that works. If it does, then your good to go.
    11-21-10 02:27 AM
    Wow I didn't know chase came out with that so fast. What is the world coming to? Pretty soon no need for human transaction. Makes me wonder though, I would do what vaahtera said, keep us updated. Thx
    Also, what are NFC chips?
    Is it like RFID?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-10 06:24 AM
    Also, what are NFC chips?
    Is it like RFID?

NFC = Near Field Communication.
    Basically it allows communication between
    devices at very short distances. No more than 3-4 inches I think.
    11-21-10 09:51 AM
    One way to test. Take your battery door, place the card in it, make a purchase and give it a try.

11-21-10 10:14 AM
    Ok, so let's say you try it and it works. What happens when the clerk asks to see uour card or other situation of that nature?

Also, if someone steals your phone, they also have your cc info too, not that they'd necessarily figure out it was there but still. Is it really that inconvenient to carry your phone and a credit card?
    11-21-10 10:20 AM
    Check out case mate cases. The have cc an I'd holders on the back. Bet you could do it that way without cutting up the card.

11-21-10 10:26 AM
    I will definitely try that vaahtera, that is a good idea. I didn't think about testing it that way. I will try it and let you guys know.

I would order another card if it did work and I did do it. That way I still had my card to swipe or show if needed because not all places have the tap technology yet. I also did think about the possibility of loosing and that is the big drawback to actually doing this, although as long as you notice it soon enough you can cancel/blacklist your card. Like I said though, it was just a thought and I'm trying to think out he possibilities/convinces and then drawbacks also.

I also do know and have seen those cases featured here. I will go look at those and see how they work, if its basically what I'm talking about.
    11-21-10 05:20 PM
    so next time you lose your phone, you lose your credit card info as well...
    Why do we continue to make it easier for thieves to get our info..
    if you can't carry both a phone and a credit card... then stop buying skinny jeans!
    11-21-10 05:25 PM
    Let us not turn this into a thread about skinny jeans...
    11-21-10 06:58 PM
    I think you should send me the card & I will see if that works
    11-21-10 07:04 PM
    I think you should send me the card & I will see if that works
    XD

10 char
    11-21-10 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD