I thought I had over heard a conversation about using a BB without the Data Plan.

Maybe Just a basic plan?

Maybe even a cheap/expensive pay-per-use plan?

Is there a thread discussing this already?

Thanks, Phil

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 09:26 PM
    There are several threads on the topic. A search for without Data Plan will find them.
    10-30-09 07:54 AM
    Let the flaming commence........
    10-30-09 07:55 AM
    OP, Carriers have made it mandatory that all smartphones must now have a data plan. No way around it, nothing below $30 a month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 08:12 AM
    My sister has a BB thru ATT. She has had it for over a yr. She dropped her BB service about 6 months ago due to finacial reasons. She was able to use her BB as a regular phone with calendar and other features. Her calendar would not sync but was functional. Oct 1st ATT automatically added BB service to her phone again. She called and complained, they told her that all BB must have a data plan as of Oct 1st. After some more complaining she was able to keep it with out a data plan until her 2 yr contract is up. At that point she will either get a dumb phone or decide if she wants the service. So to answer the question; yes you can use a BB w/out a data plan.
    10-30-09 09:00 AM
    Carriers are now selling BBs without a data plan. 15/month. Don't ask me what the logic is but someone must have shown an interest!

BB exclusive software needs a BB plan. However, generic software for multiple types of phone should work on a non-BB data plan. Beware of sharks (such as carphone warehouse) who might try selling both data plans for one phone.
    Last edited by flop; 10-30-09 at 09:49 AM.
    10-30-09 09:46 AM
    there are LOTS of ways around it and this is already a recent topic so I'm kinda wondering what is the point of this topic? do you want ways around it or was this just a misinformed version of information
    10-30-09 09:56 AM
    there are LOTS of ways around it and this is already a recent topic so I'm kinda wondering what is the point of this topic? do you want ways around it or was this just a misinformed version of information
    That would depend on the carrier. Verizon no. AT&T maybe. Sprint? Who knows. Other carriers maybe.
    10-30-09 11:08 AM
    This information is not correct. On certain providers, there are NO ways around it, and the list of providers is growing on a monthly basis it seems.
    10-30-09 11:43 AM
    American carriers, TMO, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint have a clause in the data plans that states that ALL BLACKBERRY SMART PHONE DEVICES MUST REQUIRE A DATA PLAN.

Why else would you get a smart phone anyway, if you aren't going to use it to its full capabilities? It's just stupid.
    Last edited by fabuloso; 10-30-09 at 11:54 AM.
    10-30-09 11:49 AM
    As pointed out, you can substitute RIM apps (RIM/BB Data Plan) with TCP/IP smartphone apps (Generic data plan).

However, I think RIM is pressuring the service providers to impose the more expensive RIM/BB Data Plan. Some provide both plans in one contract, which is a bit expensive and largely unnecessary. Conversely, some provide no data plan, which is a bit confusing.

What annoys me is that these services cannot be modified after you have agreed to them.
    Last edited by flop; 10-30-09 at 01:34 PM.
    10-30-09 01:30 PM
    I believe TMO doesn't require a data plan for a Blackberry still.
    10-30-09 01:42 PM
    TMO started their policy in June. AT&T was the last of the big 4 US companies.
    10-30-09 01:50 PM
    I've got a 8900 from ATT with no BB data plan. I do have they're unlimited basic data plan though, and its good enough to fulfill me of my internet surfing ways. Just a little slow, but the speed is pretty decent on opera mini
    10-30-09 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD