So,we all know the "new" Z30 can handle it. My question is: why BB did not upgrade also Q10 and Z10 in order to run usb host? It should just be a software issue and not and hardware one. Can someone with valid arguments reply and clarify? Answers like : Q10/Z10 does not have the hardware to support it are not needed. I would like someone to be far more specific because,as an informatic student,I am not understanding that thing! (Such a bad student :-P)
    Thx all for replying!

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 12:06 PM
    You have the technical answer right there in your post: "Q10/Z10 does not have the hardware to support it". Why they chose to use hardware that doesn't support it is beyond me - some cost savings to BB I suppose. Strange thing is, the Playbook DOES have the hardware to support it, but it is not activated in the software.
    12-09-13 12:39 PM
    That is not technical at all

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 12:57 PM
    Probably because the playbook has a much bigger battery that can provide power to other devices. Same with the z30.

As much as I would love to have USB host on my z10, I'd rather wait for the OS to grow and have integration with windows so I can actually use my phone as a computer (or with my computer).

But to answer the question. They do not have the correct hardware to power USB hosts (although if you buy the OEM dock I heard you can, and I believe USB storage does work without the dock. Don't quote me though)

Posted via CB10
    00stryder and smart548 like this.
    12-09-13 01:00 PM
    Still do not think that is hardware issue. Old Nokia N8 supported the ort cable.. I know there is an app,called stickmount that make a lot of android devices that not support usb host,usb host compatible! Is there someone with Q10-Q5-Z10 that has an OTG cable and can test it?

Posted via CB10
    MoeR15 likes this.
    12-09-13 01:06 PM
    i have the adapter, just waiting for the actualization
    12-09-13 01:18 PM
    Still do not think that is hardware issue. Old Nokia N8 supported the ort cable.. I know there is an app,called stickmount that make a lot of android devices that not support usb host,usb host compatible! Is there someone with Q10-Q5-Z10 that has an OTG cable and can test it?

Posted via CB10
    It isn't as simply as that. Many Android devices that come from the factory supporting USB OTG come with stickmount baked in. The app doesn't show as a icon in the drawer, but once you plug something in, the stickmount notification appears. The devices that launch without it, but can work by simply installing stickmount aren't the same as a device that launched without it and really can't do it.

With all of that said, The Nexus 4 is another device that launched with hardware that allegedly doesn't support USB OTG. However, I use USB OTG on my Nexus 4 without any problems. To make it work, you must use a modified kernel and a powered USB OTG cable.

It is possible that it could be made to work on the Z10, Q10 and Q5, just like it was made to work on my Nexus 4, but the main problem there is BlackBerry isn't open like Android is. With Android, you're free to tinker as much as you'd like. So developers can do awesome things like bring USB OTG to devices that shouldn't have it. With BlackBerry, you get what they give you.

So who knows. All I know for sure is the "It doesn't have the hardware doesn't necessarily cut it". That answer is a over simplification of the situation. Many people, including Google itself, said the Nexus 4 doesn't have the required hardware to use USB OTG, yet here we are and USB OTG works on that phone.
    00stryder and smart548 like this.
    12-09-13 01:33 PM
    Except that Google/LG were correct: the N4 doesn't have the hardware to power USB OTG on its own. That's 100% accurate, which is why it only works with a powered OTG cable. Given that powered OTG cables are impractical for most uses, and aren't common, it makes perfect sense that they don't support it.

The N7, with its much bigger battery, can power USB OTG just fine. It really *is* a hardware issue.
    anon(5906760) likes this.
    12-09-13 02:32 PM
    Except that Google/LG were correct: the N4 doesn't have the hardware to power USB OTG on its own. That's 100% accurate, which is why it only works with a powered OTG cable. Given that powered OTG cables are impractical for most uses, and aren't common, it makes perfect sense that they don't support it.

The N7, with its much bigger battery, can power USB OTG just fine. It really *is* a hardware issue.
    Depends on your definition of 'required' I geuss. Sure, it can't power devices on its own, but it still can be made to work.

We knew the phone couldn't power a device through the USB port from the beginning. The LG Optimus G couldn't either, but we also knew that a powered cable would solve that one particular problem. Only thing is, using the powered cable with a stock kernel doesn't change anything and Google never made the changes required to make it work. It was as much a software problem as a hardware problem.

The developer community solved the software problem by making a kernel that allows for the USB device to be powered from the powered cable, while also charging the Nexus 4 at the same time. End result is the same, I can use USB OTG on the Nexus 4. Google could have made those changes and got it working themselves, but instead, they just kept spouting "the Nexus 4 doesn't have the required hardware".

So who knows, has anyone looked into what is the actual hardware limitation of the BlackBerry 10 devices?
    12-09-13 02:48 PM
    Thx for recent replies guys ;-) I really hope someone like gas (igrann) or knob(whine) will put theur hands on that.. who knows

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 03:14 PM
    If your port becomes a USB Host, it must be able to supply at least 100ma @5V. And many devices will request the higher setting, 500ma @ 5v. One gotcha to Host mode is that most USB ports, when in Host mode, will not be able to receive charge current. So in situations where you wanted it plugged in all the time (say using a tablet as a Kiosk that has some accessory plugged in) , you have a little problem there.
    12-09-13 04:12 PM
    Arguably, the most common use for USB OTG would be to use a flash drive to expand storage, for, say, watching movies while traveling. That's not possible (or at least, not very practical) if you require a powered adapter. At some point, as a feature becomes more complicated, the number of people who would use that feature falls below the level that it makes sense to include it. Every manufacturer has to make that tradeoff. I don't fault phone manufacturers for making it, given the battery constraints of most devices.

And it's understandable that tablets are much more likely to support USB OTG, given that they have much larger batteries to draw from.
    smart548 likes this.
    12-09-13 04:50 PM
    Probably because the playbook has a much bigger battery that can provide power to other devices. Same with the z30.

As much as I would love to have USB host on my z10, I'd rather wait for the OS to grow and have integration with windows so I can actually use my phone as a computer (or with my computer).

But to answer the question. They do not have the correct hardware to power USB hosts (although if you buy the OEM dock I heard you can, and I believe USB storage does work without the dock. Don't quote me though)

Posted via CB10
    I'll check if it is the OTG Usb on the dock when I get home

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 05:18 PM
    Will test once I get my cable from ebay!

Posted via CB10
    smart548 likes this.
    12-09-13 05:48 PM
    I'll check if it is the OTG Usb on the dock when I get home

Posted via CB10
    Yea,i heard if you have the OEM dock from BlackBerry it gives power so it can host USB hubs etc.

That's just what I read on a few forums here though. I haven't gotten my hands on one to try it out.

Let me know if it works!

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 06:41 PM
    So,we all know the "new" Z30 can handle it. My question is: why BB did not upgrade also Q10 and Z10 in order to run usb host? It should just be a software issue and not and hardware one. Can someone with valid arguments reply and clarify? Answers like : Q10/Z10 does not have the hardware to support it are not needed. I would like someone to be far more specific because,as an informatic student,I am not understanding that thing! (Such a bad student :-P)
    Thx all for replying!

Posted via CB10
    You can hook a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to the z10 though if I remember correctly.

Z30 - The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    12-09-13 08:48 PM
    You can hook a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to the z10 though if I remember correctly.

Z30 - The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    I think you are right. Anyway if you think about the usb host capabilities: neat and great to have but right now is probably not so useful. With sd cards and cloud storage there will be less need in the future to connect an usb storage device to your phone.. IMO.. And for what controllers are concerned (KB,gamepad..) you can go through wifi-bluetooth.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 06:12 AM
    A vague memory from the BlackBerry jam video.. I think the host used a Z10 to show of USB OTG With his boss on a Z30 sending msg and the host replied from a computer key board. Need to check though!

Z10
    12-10-13 06:28 AM
    Check this video gentleman..! Host says his device is a "Z10"

Z10
    12-10-13 08:13 AM
    Might be in works! Or just the host said by mistake. Your take?

Z10
    12-10-13 08:17 AM
    Might be in works! Or just the host said by mistake. Your take?

Z10
    If someone could test that it would be great

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:38 AM
    I v� just tried my Otg USB on my z30 it's working out of the box but how to eject it properly?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 04:00 PM
    Just got my adapter, tried it with an usb wireless mouse, worked perfect, tried with usb thumb drive, didn't work as it was formatted to ntfs, formatted to fat32, worked perfect. Looking for more things to try with!

Attachment 228938
    12-10-13 10:45 PM
    Just got my adapter, tried it with an usb wireless mouse, worked perfect, tried with usb thumb drive, didn't work as it was formatted to ntfs, formatted to fat32, worked perfect. Looking for more things to try with!

Attachment 228938
    Which device are you with?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 02:38 AM

Attachment 228938
    Hey irwindersa any chance you could put a link up to the adaptor you used i.e. Amazon etc

Posted from my Z10 (very smart phone)
    12-11-13 04:24 AM
28 12