***Tricky question, please only answer if you are certain it works.. ie, you did it yourself or you know someone who did***

I've been with Bell for the past 8 years, I am now hearing the call of the GSM worldwide network. The other reason for this is because I've own palm treos, HP WM 2003, HTC WM5 and HTC WM6 devices but I have always said that if Blackberry came out with a WIFI BB I would definitly get one. Well, here it is, in the form of the 8820 or 8320.

I am a guy that always does his homework, and usually when I go to the cellular shops, I know more than what the vendor does... So This questions was raised from a vendor telling me the following:

"If you get an 8320 or 8820 blackberry unlocked (ATT), you won't be able to use the Canadian carrier Rogers data plan (to surf the web or other)."

Now for the tricky question:

Is that true?

And remember, I got to know the facts, not what you think, if I buy a 500$ blackberry and it doesn't work with the data plan from the carrier I'' ll be pissed. I want the extra wifi for home use and city use, where wifi is available, but when I am away, I wan't to be able to use the carriers data plan.

Also, I guess if someone as been roaming in canada with a att blackberry and using their US att data plan here then it means it will work.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jimbike; 03-14-08 at 09:54 PM.
    03-13-08 09:39 PM
    it should work. just add the data plan to your line and get the APN settings for rogers which is internet.com i believe.

i dont have a data plan but i got the $20 comm value pack which contains 5mb of surfing and it works for me.

if you wanna be certain, call rogers and ask them. or ask another person from the store lol
    03-13-08 09:43 PM
    oh and i bought my bb off of ebay, so its unlocked too
    03-13-08 09:44 PM
    Sweeeeet, Thanks!!! Just made my day.

03-13-08 09:46 PM
    no problem
    03-13-08 09:48 PM
    I work for rogers and I tell people all the time that they can't use thier unlocked BB on the rogers network... this is not true. You can use the data service on the network but... (and this is why I say this) there is no data support available to you if something goes wrong, also why spend $500 on an unlocked device with no warranty when you can get one from rogers for less then half that price? (please dont spend more than $199) if you really think that the Wifi is going to save you $300 then its worth it but just to have the warranty makes it a better choice to buy a locked rogers device. Send me a private message if you want to work something out for BB service or if you have any questions about anything rogers.
    03-14-08 10:35 AM
    Many thanks for the information TT, you have made some excellent points about device and data plan support.

I have seen several posts describing issues that were resolved by a warranty replacement. Clearly, that would not be an option with a gray market device.

However.... No data support? If I were paying the prices Rogers is charging for data service, I would expect the same level of service as a customer that took advantage of a discounted device purchase.

I can understand why some carriers are nervious about releasing the WiFi devices to the public. I burn 1-3 Mb a day with the Browser only. With the current data plans, $10 Mb, that would cost me some $6,000 a year.

The times are a changing.... Perhaps in another week or so, we can revisit this issue.
    03-14-08 11:01 AM
    I bought a new in the box T-Mobile 8320 off of e-bay for $370, which is slightly higher than average. Then using instructions I found in these forums I used a website to get the unlock code for $30 US, and the next morning I had the code and instructions, 10 minutes later I had the rogers sim from my 8800 in the 8320 and set it up on my BES.
    Now I still have my 8800 as backup, I don't have warranty support from Rogers, but I have found that to be poor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-08 11:49 AM
    I work for rogers and I tell people all the time that they can't use thier unlocked BB on the rogers network... this is not true. You can use the data service on the network but... (and this is why I say this) there is no data support available to you if something goes wrong, also why spend $500 on an unlocked device with no warranty when you can get one from rogers for less then half that price? (please dont spend more than $199) if you really think that the Wifi is going to save you $300 then its worth it but just to have the warranty makes it a better choice to buy a locked rogers device. Send me a private message if you want to work something out for BB service or if you have any questions about anything rogers.
    You are right in many ways in your post, however here are the reasons I prefer paying more:

1 - Freedom!!
    2 - Rogers advertises the lowest price for their gps enable, wifi disabled Curve for 299$ (and gps requires a data plan!!!)
    3 - I'd have to sell my house if I want to get a new rogers phone with a 3 year contract that must include a data plan. I want to be able to get a data plan but not must have a data plan by contract.
    4 - I never used warranty on any phones I had (this includes my 3 smart phones) (Pour nos amis francophone, je touche du bois!!!)
    5 - I've been with Bell for 8 years and it's not different. But from the first day I "finished my time" (read contract) with them I swore never to go back (to a cell phone contract that is!).

Still, you have good points, I'm just stubborn.

I have a hard time deciding wich BB to get 8820 or 8320???
    Last edited by jimbike; 03-14-08 at 09:56 PM.
    03-14-08 09:39 PM
    you also wouldnt need a warranty if you take care of your phone. i refrain from doing anything that i think might be harmful to it. so yea.
    03-14-08 09:43 PM
    I bought a new in the box T-Mobile 8320 off of e-bay for $370, which is slightly higher than average. Then using instructions I found in these forums I used a website to get the unlock code for $30 US, and the next morning I had the code and instructions, 10 minutes later I had the rogers sim from my 8800 in the 8320 and set it up on my BES.
    Now I still have my 8800 as backup, I don't have warranty support from Rogers, but I have found that to be poor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Are you able to use the rogers data plan?
    03-15-08 09:09 AM
    Many thanks for the information TT, you have made some excellent points about device and data plan support.

I have seen several posts describing issues that were resolved by a warranty replacement. Clearly, that would not be an option with a gray market device.

However.... No data support? If I were paying the prices Rogers is charging for data service, I would expect the same level of service as a customer that took advantage of a discounted device purchase.

I can understand why some carriers are nervious about releasing the WiFi devices to the public. I burn 1-3 Mb a day with the Browser only. With the current data plans, $10 Mb, that would cost me some $6,000 a year.

The times are a changing.... Perhaps in another week or so, we can revisit this issue.
    1-3 MB daily!! wow.. ya that would get pricey. Heres hopes to lower data rates in Canada in the near future. (even though it'll probably mean me making less since "uncle ted" is signing my cheques.
    03-18-08 09:07 AM
    Where has the time gone? Seems like just yesterday we were marveling over the roumers that a new service plan is in the works.

I have checked the web site, I will be watching for the giggling kids commercial and I may drop in on my local outlet to see if they know anything.
    03-18-08 01:51 PM
    can someone please help me
    i just bought an unlocked blackberry pearl off of ebay and when i try putting my rogers sim card in it it just says 'invalid sim card'
    is there anyway to get it to work???
    please hellp
    04-08-08 10:41 AM
    i have the same concern.
    i was given a blackberry 8800 from a colleague. it's unlocked and was not tethered to rogers. i want the whole push e-mail thing so maybe my only choice is to go with rogers blackberry plan? what do i have to do to configure my 8800 to work with rogers?
    04-08-08 12:12 PM
    TT - $don't pay more than $199??? even my corporate agent at my work can't do $199 on a Curve...!!
    04-08-08 02:05 PM
    Hey - I've got the same issue. A friend of mine living in the Chicago gave me his 'old' bb 8100 pearl (t-mobile gladly gave him the unlock code, as he was continuing to be a customer with them), but when I insert my FIDO (on the rogers network) SIM, I get 'invalid SIM' and can't even make a phone call. Anyone know what the deal is? I don' t even care about using email at this point, I just wanted a better phone to text with.

I've heard that with an unlocked phone you can just buy a SIM overseas and basically plug and play. Does it not work like that with FIDO/rogers?

Anyone know what the deal is? Any help is much appreciated.
    04-30-08 11:57 PM
    All I know is I am ditching my data plan from Bell until they catch up with Telus and it`s Unlimited Email, Text, Browsing, Instant Messaging and Caller ID and Voicemail for $30 per month Blackberry data package. I`ll stick with the $15 per month unlimited email and messaging thank you until then. Data in Canada is insane.
    05-01-08 01:11 AM
    you also wouldnt need a warranty if you take care of your phone. i refrain from doing anything that i think might be harmful to it. so yea.
    Not to try and stab you but I treat all my electronic devices likes babies, and this is my third curve (within a year *all under warranty*). So far so good with this one, but warranty is everything to me. I work in my company's IT department, warranty is KEY!....to me atleast
    05-01-08 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";