Navy Plans for Android and iOS Devices
    Published, December 23, 2014

Currently, the Navy's 28,000 smartphone users are limited to using older BlackBerry devices, but that will begin to change this month and continuing through Dec. 2015. The Navy Enterprise Networks (NEN) Program Office is making progress on plans to transition to more modern mobile devices. ...

Installation of mobile device management software from Good Technology, now underway, will provide NEN users the ability to check their email, access Navy web portals, use instant messaging, and access other NEN resources securely from both iOS and Android devices. The iOS and Android devices will use a Good Technology "container" to securely segregate official data from personal data, thus allowing users the ability to perform government work and personal activities securely and effectively on the same device. Personal use of mobile devices will be permitted to the extent currently allowed by Navy policy.

An initial capability will be installed on the East Coast by the end of Dec. 2014, and this will be closely followed by support for the West Coast and Hawaii. Following these initial installations, the program office will move quickly to expand capacity across the Continental United States to ensure that all BlackBerry users will have the option to move to a new device by the end of Calendar Year 2015. Early users will be able to choose between the iPhone 5c and 5s, but the Navy wants to be as flexible as possible and allow users to pick the devices that will work best for them, and plans to approve a wider range of devices. Approval to use the iPhone 6 and iPad Air is expected in Jan. or Feb. 2015, and approval to use Samsung Android phones and tablets is expected in March.

In addition to the capabilities already discussed, Navy iOS and Android users will be able to use the "native" apps that come with the devices as part of the operating system, such as email, navigation, and calendar.

Though the focus of the effort's early stages will be on enabling new devices and transitioning BlackBerry users, further usability and functionality enhancements are planned. For example, the ability to use soft certs derived from the user's CAC will enable users to sign and encrypt emails or access CAC-enabled websites without the need for a CAC and CAC reader.

Looking beyond the device transition, the Navy has established a mobility project team with representation from across the Navy. This team is tasked with, among other things, writing a Navy mobility strategy, reviewing mobile initiatives for potential adoption across the Navy, and assessing the impact and effectiveness of migrating to recommended new mobile capabilities.

Department of Navy Chief Information Officer - News: Navy Plans for Android and iOS Devices

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 09:14 AM
    It will only be a matter of time. My brother in law a hard core BlackBerry user recently switched to iPhone cause you can facetime. (hurry up bbm video cross-platform). He said he might try android. A use he wasn't happy with ios. I told him go for the classic or q10. You will like it. But who knows but. I think alot of diehard uses will get tires or frustrated wil ios. Pretty soon

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 10:05 AM
    DHS is switching USCIS to iPhone 6 and SG5. They've done it by geographic regions. DC HQ staff will be the last to finish the migration. Should be finished everywhere by March 2015.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    12-28-14 10:23 AM
    It's just another step backwards by the US on the world stage.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 10:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    How so? Because bb faithful will say so or the world will say so?
    12-28-14 10:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    Only thing to step backwards is the device their dropping... Accept it or enjoy the Kool aid

Pearl 8100->Pearl Flip->Storm->Torch 9800->Torch 9810-Bold 9900->Iphone 3g->Iphone 4g->Z10->Samsung S3->Z30->HTC m8->Note 4
    shaleem, acovey and techvisor like this.
    12-28-14 10:44 AM
    Right. Because the US government should have waited to all renew their contracts to see the outcome of BlackBerry telling the world they were putting themselves on sale and they should have delayed their mobility deployments and refresh cycles until the company was ready to give them a plan going forward.
    All companies everywhere should have all held their mobility plans to see the result of the "For Sale" announcement. That was the responsible thing to do. To wait until a company in a nosedive pulled itself out of it by selling itself with no assurance that a buyer would not then sell it for parts.
    Sure. How dare the US government mitigate risks by implementing a plan B in view of the "For Sale" sign.

12-28-14 10:47 AM
    I think it all comes down to the app gap. People just don't want to be bothered to set up a second app store. They want to be able to pick up and use the device right away.

This wouldn't have happened if BlackBerry would have released an Android model with Google Services by now.
    12-28-14 01:22 PM
    I think it all comes down to the app gap. People just don't want to be bothered to set up a second app store. They want to be able to pick up and use the device right away.

This wouldn't have happened if BlackBerry would have released an Android model with Google Services by now.
    Part of the contract with Good includes device specific apps that are approved by the network owners, DHS, DoD....

And no, don't tell them they can sideload from snap.
    boi2012, mornhavon and shaleem like this.
    12-28-14 01:36 PM
    Well let's hope they'll hook those devices on BES12! Let's go Mr. John Chen! Send your army to grab the deals!

So never mind if they're buying Blackberrys or not! Servicing them with BES12 would be a huge revenue generator!

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 01:51 PM
    Part of the contract with Good includes device specific apps that are approved by the network owners, DHS, DoD....

And no, don't tell them they can sideload from snap.
    Yah I was a bit surprised to see that to set up my phone I was to access the Play Store for Good and Citrix. Using my agency email address. I could download things like Weather Channel and Office.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    12-28-14 01:53 PM
    Well let's hope they'll hook those devices on BES12! Let's go Mr. John Chen! Send your army to grab the deals!

So never mind if they're buying Blackberrys or not! Servicing them with BES12 would be a huge revenue generator!

They're using Good, not BES.

shaleem likes this.
    12-28-14 01:55 PM
    More fallout from the brilliant Heins/Watsa for sale sign initiative! Well at least Prem got a better deal and Heins got millions right? While the company has been stabilized, some of the customers lost will take years to migrate back if ever, and other existing customers will still be leaving as their pilots finish. Well at least they are trying to win customers back with great pricing on new premium hardware offerings like the Classic and not trying to charge a lot for old hardware.

Posted via CB10
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    12-28-14 02:23 PM
    But Good is not Good enough!! ;D

Hopefully they get to see what the competition offers and will decide which service is best for them.

They're using Good, not BES.

12-28-14 02:25 PM
    But Good is not Good enough!! ;D

Hopefully they get to see what the competition offers and will decide which service is best for them.

Agree with you on that!!! Sadly, the migrations are well on their way.

12-28-14 02:28 PM
    This should really benefit sailors by enabling them to play "Angry Birds" and watch cute cat videos on Youtube during those long stints at sea. Definitely will not aid the productivity of the navy nor the security of the nation.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and igor10000 like this.
    12-28-14 02:32 PM
    Last year Home Depot also switched from BlackBerry to iPhone throughout their corporation. Just saying.

TCB on Z10
    12-28-14 02:48 PM
    This should really benefit sailors by enabling them to play "Angry Birds" and watch cute cat videos on Youtube during those long stints at sea.
    Ironically, sailors could play Angry Birds and watch YouTube cat videos with a BB10 phone. Your point?
    shaleem, kbz1960, Residing and 1 others like this.
    12-28-14 02:48 PM
    So?

Posted via Q10Bold
    12-28-14 02:51 PM
    This decision must have been approved when the bad management at BlackBerry was planning to put up the 'For Sale' sign.

Agree with you on that!!! Sadly, the migrations are well on their way.

12-28-14 02:52 PM
    Do not get this... why is BB losing customers a surprise???? nothing is set in stone.. the only constant in the world is change.... working in the corporate world of and on for 30 years.... one thing I found is that many decisions are made not by what is best for the company... but usually by the preference of the powers that be... as many of the military decisions are make up to 2 years in advance it would fit with the Navy decision... One thing Chen said early on was that what hurt BB the most in Enterprise was the uncertainty of the longevity of BB as a company... We are seeing the fruits of this now... back when this was decided ... BB fate was unknown so why go with them... choose a known commodity ( Apple Sammy )..... as you are forced to when planning such large implementations... just another sign that BB is now and will probably always be a Niche company.... those hoping for a consumer comeback I fear will be left holding the bag as far as a consumer comeback goes..... the only good thing to come out of this is... it shows BB is now smart enough not to make the same mistake as before... namely putting all its eggs into one basket...as it losses some constituents ( military and corporate ) it is moving to gain in medical... auto and IOT... for me a very smart move... you need to change as the market changes... the environment that almost did BB in as they did not change when they needed to....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-28-14 02:57 PM
    Oh well . . .

12-28-14 02:59 PM
    Last year Home Depot also switched from BlackBerry to iPhone throughout their corporation. Just saying.

TCB on Z10
    was home depot hacked???
    12-28-14 03:01 PM
    This decision must have been approved when the bad management at BlackBerry was planning to put up the 'For Sale' sign.

It was when my agency began its plans for a pilot to move over. It was 2013, early on. The pilot was put into place in early 2014 and they've moved on it in summer.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4
    Laura Knotek and shaleem like this.
    12-28-14 03:01 PM
    was home depot hacked???
    Neither Home Depot nor Target nor Sony had a mobility component. The first two were credit card fraud that would be fixed with chip and pin if we had it implemented like in Europe. Sony was social engineering.

It's a stretch to try to pin it to mobility choices.

12-28-14 03:04 PM
215 123 ...