As the title says, my daughter came in in floods of tears with her 9360 wiping itself (she'd changed her pwd after a "friend" found her's out and played with her phone). She forgot her new one and (unbelievably) tried 10 times and failed then didn't read the data wipe warning so typed blackberry and the rest is history.

Pretty sure this is a stupid question (as it seemed to do a second wipe as I watched) but is there any way I can recover her system? She's lost all her contacts, photo's and music and, no, she has never backed her phone up. I'm PC savvy so any processes that may work would be gratefully received (at least recover her contacts). I've used data recovery software but it just found some photos on the microSD card.
    12-23-12 01:07 PM
    Sorry, no backup, no recovery. The wipe is security grade so anything except the SD card is gone.
    12-23-12 01:11 PM
    Suspected that was the case...ah well,that's her learned a valuable lesson. Bit of a draconian feature though. I'd have thought maybe a 2 hour lockout would be better. Thanks for the uber-quick reply
    12-23-12 01:17 PM
    If she saved music pictures etc on an sd card in the phone it should still be there when you reinstall. And use the same bbid when you set it up to get any paid apps back, they'll show as uninstalled. If she can't remember the bbid password go here to reset https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/...ecoverpassword

You could take the opportunity to install latest os for the 9360, if she wasn't on 7.1 it will be a nice upgrade. Go to the 9360 forum for link.
    12-23-12 01:28 PM
    I gather that she never had BlackBerry Protect installed or set up to perform any remote backups of the device?
    If she did, that could be an avenue of recourse.

If she did not, I would recommend using it for future instances such as these.
    12-23-12 02:26 PM
    Thgis is the instructions from my 9810 user guide, I hope it helps to at least recover the phone to a useable state. Then I would advise useing blackBerry protect maybe also desktop manager

I forget my smartphone password
    If you forget your BlackBerry� smartphone password, it can't be recovered. If your smartphone uses a BlackBerry� Enterprise
    Server, your administrator might be able to reset your password without deleting your smartphone data. Otherwise, the only
    way you can reset your password without knowing your current password is to delete all your smartphone data. You can do
    this by exceeding the number of allowed password attempts.
    If your email account uses a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, depending on the options that your administrator sets, when you
    delete your smartphone data, you might also delete the data on your media card. For more information, contact your
    administrator.
    Research In Motion recommends that you regularly create and save a backup file on your computer, especially before you
    update any software. Maintaining a current backup file on your computer might allow you to recover smartphone data if your
    smartphone is lost, stolen, or corrupted by an unforeseen issue.
    12-23-12 02:50 PM
    That information is not useful in this scenario davey - I highly doubt she was using BES if anything it would have been BIS, but thanks for your input, always nice to see members helping each other.

I am sorry your daughter has had this trouble, hopefully she will get over it - My HDD on my computer died a few months back and I had screenshots/pics/movies and documents that I won't ever get back and it hurt for a while but then I started again and got over it, she will be fine I am sure hopefully she will backup her device from now on just in case.
    12-23-12 04:32 PM
    I agree with MADBRAD, BB Protect is a good idea for backups moving forward.
    12-23-12 04:39 PM
    Definitely have her start using BlackBerry Protect. It will back up her contacts, and other phone data, as well as give the option to lock, locate, and wipe remotely if lost or stolen.
    12-23-12 06:05 PM
    That information is not useful in this scenario davey - I highly doubt she was using BES if anything it would have been BIS, but thanks for your input, always nice to see members helping each other.

I am sorry your daughter has had this trouble, hopefully she will get over it - My HDD on my computer died a few months back and I had screenshots/pics/movies and documents that I won't ever get back and it hurt for a while but then I started again and got over it, she will be fine I am sure hopefully she will backup her device from now on just in case.
    Yep I agree for the most part, I just copied the section without edit. Just to reassure that her phone wasn't bricked and that what happened was normal and safe.
    12-23-12 06:09 PM
    Definitely have her start using BlackBerry Protect. It will back up her contacts, and other phone data, as well as give the option to lock, locate, and wipe remotely if lost or stolen.
    I think folk are not to aware of how good protect is
    12-23-12 06:12 PM
    I think folk are not to aware of how good protect is
    blackberry protect has my vote for the title of "must have app"

its saved my bacon more then once and is just awesome!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    12-23-12 06:58 PM
    blackberry protect has my vote for the title of "must have app"

its saved my bacon more then once and is just awesome!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    +1 to this. I sent my old 9300 in for repair, and had backed it up on the pc, however the pc decided that the 2week window that it was gone would be the perfect time to crash and my data was gone. when I got my device back(actually they sent me a brand new device) after getting them to fix my browser I headed over to the BB Protect site & sent a link to my phone. saved my valuable and invaluable contacts, along with my SMS messages. BB Protect is something amazing that many people overlook.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using the CB Forums App
    12-23-12 07:10 PM
    Suspected that was the case...ah well,that's her learned a valuable lesson. Bit of a draconian feature though. I'd have thought maybe a 2 hour lockout would be better. Thanks for the uber-quick reply
    Considering that Research In Motion prides themselves on security. It'd be silly for them to have a feature that lets an unauthorized user keep trying again and again every 2 hours.
    Perhaps they should instead have an option that enables users to set the password to lock out for a period of time instead of doing a wipe after 10 incorrect tries, but with Blackberry Protect having been rolled out, and for people that can't use BB Protect, being able to make a backup of their stuff RIM has kind of resolved the issue of forgetting your BB password.
    12-23-12 07:42 PM
    It might be better if the phone is locked out, and you can actually unlock the phone via BB Protect website by answering a few security questions. But then again, this would require setting up BB Protect initially and a lot of users ignore that. I usually setup my BB Protect the first moment I hard-reset or get a new BB device.
    12-23-12 09:31 PM
    I think it's more draconian not to create a back up of important info.

This not only goes for phones but everything you value.
    12-23-12 10:13 PM
    I agree but my 12 year old daughter didn't do it. Her loss I suppose.

Thanks for the obscene amount and speed of advice. As some have intimated, once we logged back in with her BBID all her photos, music and videos were still there safe and sound. Only her contacts were wiped so (thanks to facebook) no big loss. Will take time but maybe she'll learn from this. BB protect sounds great...I'll get her registered.

Thanks again folks,

Gary
    12-24-12 03:47 AM
    Glad it worked out for you errr your daughter

For contacts, you can manually back them up via an email address.

A gmail account would be helpful to back up contacts. If she ever switches phones, you could back up all the contacts to gmail and then reload it on the new phone via gmail.
    12-24-12 01:43 PM
    I've set her up with a yahoo account so will let her know they can be backed up like that. It seems a weird omission from BB protect not to back up BBM contacts though!
    12-24-12 01:49 PM
    I've set her up with a yahoo account so will let her know they can be backed up like that. It seems a weird omission from BB protect not to back up BBM contacts though!
    With BBM 6, the backup/restore process was manual. Go into BBM options and you can backup and restore your contacts locally or to an email account.

With BBM 7, it uses your BBID to automatically back up BBM contacts and groups. One you switch to BBM 7, the backup and restore process should happen in the background.
    12-24-12 02:03 PM