Hi, I need some advice. I want to get a new BlackBerry and know little to nothing about them. Basically I've been told the new Curve 8320 is the best one to get. Should I buy one from where I'm living, but it is locked or should I get one from the UK, which will be unlocked. Basically, if I get it from the UK will the chip here work in it and will I be able to sign up for the blackberry service in my home country and will everything work properly. Also, if I go abroad and change the chip, will the phone still work and will the blackberry service still work even if i change chips. Please any advice as soon as possible because I want to get my hands on one now. Thanks
    04-12-08 10:17 AM
    Tough one man! Where exactly are you? Sounds a bit safer to be unlocked. No doubt that the BB Curve is the best phone out there as it does just about everything!!!
    04-12-08 10:23 AM
    I'm in Dubai. Also, is the 8320 the latest blackberry? Is there a newer one coming out any time soon that I should wait for?

Do you have any answers to the other stuff I asked?

thanks
    04-12-08 10:27 AM
    anyone have any advice?
    04-12-08 11:52 AM
    Hello & welcome to CB!

If you are wanting to use the BB at home in Dubai the best thing to do when buying a BB from the UK is to buy an unlocked one.

You will be able to use the sim cards from any other carrier then, but, if for example you have the Blackberry Sercives with one carrier and then insert a sim from another carrier you will not get the Blackberry services on that sim. It is tied to the carrier you sign up with

Blackberry Services do not work on pre paid sim cards, you would however be able to make calls and texts.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Hazysky; 04-12-08 at 12:15 PM.
    04-12-08 12:09 PM
    Hello & welcome to CB!

If you are wanting to use the BB at home in Dubai the best thing to do when buying a BB from the UK is to buy an unlocked one.

You will be able to use the sim cards from any other carrier then, but, if for example you have the Blackberry Sercives with one carrier and then insert a sim from another carrier you will not get the Blackberry services on that sim. It is tied to the carrier you sign up with

Blackberry Services do not work on pre paid sim cards, you would however be able to make calls and texts.

Hope that helps.
    Not being able to use the data services would make me cry, lol. BB + data plan = instant happiness

Good luck!
    04-12-08 01:06 PM
    Welcome 2 The Crack Zone...

8320 has WiFi and to me would be the only reason to purchase it elsewhere. All BBs that are on the GSM network can be unlocked.

04-12-08 01:26 PM
    Why would I need to purchase it elsewhere to get the WiFi?
    04-12-08 05:13 PM
    The Curve doesn't have a camera...the Pearl is the only Berry so far with a camera, but supposedly the 9000 is coming out soon, which is essentially a redesigned Curve with a camera. Currently I use the Pearl's cam to take pics of business cards and put them on Evernote.

I really like the Pearl as it's so small...but it all sort of depends on what you can accommodate I suppose. If I had more tolerance for carrying stuff I might switch to a Curve.
    04-12-08 06:37 PM
    The Curve doesn't have a camera...the Pearl is the only Berry so far with a camera, ...
    The Curve 8310 and 8320 do have cameras, or all the pictures I've taken with mine are a figment of my alcohol diseased imagination.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 04-12-08 at 06:47 PM.
    04-12-08 06:45 PM
    The Curve doesn't have a camera...the Pearl is the only Berry so far with a camera, but supposedly the 9000 is coming out soon, which is essentially a redesigned Curve with a camera. Currently I use the Pearl's cam to take pics of business cards and put them on Evernote.

I really like the Pearl as it's so small...but it all sort of depends on what you can accommodate I suppose. If I had more tolerance for carrying stuff I might switch to a Curve.
    the curve doesnt have a camera? L O L. They def. have cameras.
    04-12-08 10:44 PM
    International data plan sounds like a lot of money
    8320 unlocked is what ya want
    2mp camera included

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-08 11:18 PM
    No such thing as a dumb question but Curve not having a camera???
    Next....
    04-13-08 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD