Ok, I think Im going to make the big move, upgrade my 8310 from 4.2 to 4.5. So first thing I do is open the AT&T software download site to check it out and WHAM I got questions already. Says step 1. Install new Blackberry Desktop Software on your windows computer. OK the original DM I installed from the disk supplied when I got the 8310 is no longer on my computer due to a recent re-install. So I go to BB Desktop Manager download page and there are different versions do I download 4.2 or 4.5 ? Now to Step 2. Install new Blackberry device software on your windows computer. What does that mean ? After I have answers to those questions I think I can handle the rest....connect my device, back everything up and install new OS, unless you guys have some other advise how to proceed.
    02-06-09 07:00 PM
    If your phone OS is 4.2 you should get 4.5.

As for desktop manager software I would recommend you get 4.6 and not 4.7 from blackberry.com if you need that.

Options>about

Step 2. Install new Blackberry device software on your windows computer

Just what it means. The software must be on your PC and installed to do the upgrade.

If you are sure you are ready for this I wish you good luck. It is pretty self explanatory......
    02-06-09 07:03 PM
    You'll need to install the device manager and desktop manager if you don't already have them. DM 4.5 will work fine with your curve and I recommend that version.

I think I can handle the rest....connect my device, back everything up and install new OS, unless you guys have some other advise how to proceed.
    And yup, that's pretty much it in a nutshell after you've installed DM. If your unsure of your self you can follow this guide

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/
    02-06-09 07:06 PM
    Downoad Desktop manager 4.5 without media manager. WHen you download the Os for your device from your at&t site you have to instll it on your pc. When you go to download it it will ask you to save it. Select yes then after its done its going to ask open folder. Hit no then go to where you saed it and double left click it and it will install itself. TO verify that the OS and the DM are installed go to start/conrtol panel/add remove programs and see that there is 2 entries for rim/blackberry.
    02-06-09 07:07 PM
    4.5 desktop manager seems to be the most stable. Get it here:
    BlackBerry - Desktop Software - BlackBerry Desktop Software at BlackBerry.com

4.5.0.174 is the most current OS. You get it here:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...12S34oeVPyjQ**

Once you get desktop manager installed on your pc, get your BB sync'd to it and Do a complete backup.

After this install the OS, go to My computer>C:>program files>common files>research in motion>AppLoader, find and delete the vendor .xml file.

Now would also be a good time to consider crackmem, and read through this thread so you're comfortable with everything. http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/.. Take your time, it's a piece of cake.
    GL
    02-06-09 07:19 PM
    Thanks for the answers, Im off to get started.
    02-06-09 07:21 PM
    Just wanted to let everyone know the whole process went well, it took a little longer than I thought (about an hour) but it was all worth it. Thanks for your input !
    02-07-09 10:35 PM
    Glad it worked out !
    02-08-09 12:12 AM
    Congratulations! You'll be upgrading like there is no tomorrow soon.
    02-08-09 12:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD