Hello all!

I have a T-mobile Blackberry 8320 that is unlocked for use on the ATT network, and I'm running software version 4.2.2.180 (327)

my question is this: is there anything I should be made aware of before attempting to upgrade the OS to 4.5? will this lock my device again? I guess I'm just looking for people's advice here, as I really can't afford to have my phone bricked by a botched upgrade! I tried to search the forums for the answer but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for all of your help
    03-11-09 03:20 PM
    The device OS upgrade is safe and reliable most of the time. A tiny percentage of upgrades fail, mostly due to USB reconnection issues.

By far, the most common issue is getting the preparation steps correct. Once everything is in place, the upgrade goes smoothly. I strongly recommend using CrackMem for the preparation steps.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/

There is no risk of re-locking the BlackBerry, unlocking is a one-way street.

03-11-09 03:41 PM
    Just make sure you use the generic Blackberry upgrades from the Blackberry site. If you have an unlocked T-Mobile phone and use the AT&T device upgrade it will lock the phone again. I have a 8800 originally branded AT&T but use it with T-Mobile. The Blackberry tech at T-Mobile told me if I use the AT&T 4.5 upgrade it will lock my phone again. Glad I called first.
    04-29-09 08:42 PM
    jwt5892, that is wrong information. Once the device is unlocked, it will not be locked again. And certainly not by loading the phone OS.

Reed, of course, is correct.
    04-29-09 08:52 PM
    jwt5892, that is wrong information. Once the device is unlocked, it will not be locked again. And certainly not by loading the phone OS.

Reed, of course, is correct.
    I thought if you reset to factory defaults it will replace the lock?
    04-29-09 08:59 PM
    Well either way I just upgraded from 4.2.1.179 to 4.5 without any probs. Followed the Blackberry.com instructions and I love the newer device OS. The main reason I upgraded was so the 8GB MicroSD I just ordered will be compatible with my 8800. Tired of just 2GB of space. Whether upgrading with AT&T's device OS would lock mine or not, I didn't want to find out.
    04-29-09 09:50 PM
    I thought if you reset to factory defaults it will replace the lock?
    Nope. Absolutely no.
    04-30-09 06:22 AM
    Mama and Reed are 100% correct. Wont lock the device. You can use any carriers OS on your device as long as it is specifically for your device model. Wiping the handheld only removes your third party apps and personal information off the device.
    04-30-09 07:57 AM
    I figured this would be the best place to put my ?'s.

I have an 8310 from AT&T but unlocked it and it is now under T-Mobile.

It has 4.2 on it and I want to upgrade it to the 4.5

Do I have to go through the AT&T upgrade site?
    Can I use the BB ugrade site?
    Does it have to be for the specific model or can I use any 83xx upgrade?
    Is it any different upgrading an unlocked phone then it is a locked phone?

Sorry if these are sill questions. I have never had an unlocked phone so I am just getting us to it.

Thanks so much in advanced.

PS I tried looking through the other thread but just couldnt find anwsers to my ?'s. If there is a thread that has my anwsers then please piont me in that direction.

Thanks again
    09-09-09 01:25 AM
    I figured this would be the best place to put my ?'s.

I have an 8310 from AT&T but unlocked it and it is now under T-Mobile.

It has 4.2 on it and I want to upgrade it to the 4.5

Do I have to go through the AT&T upgrade site?
    No, you can use any carriers accepted device upgrade.

Can I use the BB ugrade site?
    Yes, that will automatiacly connect you with AT&T upgrade. That will work just fine.

Does it have to be for the specific model or can I use any 83xx upgrade?
    Yes, only the specific device model software can be installed. If you attempt to install 8300 or 8320 code, it will fail to recongnize it.

Is it any different upgrading an unlocked phone then it is a locked phone?
    No. It only makes a difference if you want to use a different carriers SIM card.

Sorry if these are sill questions. I have never had an unlocked phone so I am just getting us to it.

Thanks so much in advanced.

PS I tried looking through the other thread but just couldnt find anwsers to my ?'s. If there is a thread that has my anwsers then please piont me in that direction.

Thanks again
    No such thing as a silly question, it is teaching experience to everybody that reads this post.
    09-09-09 11:28 AM
    I know this is a dead thread, but it's the first result that came up when I google searched "upgrade unlocked Blackberry" which is pretty cool. I assume all the info in this thread is still current.
    11-23-10 01:16 PM
    Yes still current .. Once you unlock your device and then upgrade/downgrade/reload OS, it remains unlocked....
    OfficeLinebacker likes this.
    11-23-10 09:25 PM
    Yes still current .. Once you unlock your device and then upgrade/downgrade/reload OS, it remains unlocked....
    Awesome, thanks. I went ahead and upgrade a Cable & Wireless BB 8520 and it still works with a T-Mobile SIM card.
    11-24-10 01:17 PM
    I have 1 confusion that can i use blackberry desktop manager to update my OS???i mean i am getting an available update notification whenever i connect my phone to my computer..SO if i will update my OS then will my phone re-locked or it will be stay as it is(unlocked)??

My phone was from australia and i am using indian carrier...
    01-13-12 02:09 PM
    SO if i will update my OS then will my phone re-locked or it will be stay as it is(unlocked)?
    Nothing you can do will re-lock the phone. As has already been mentioned above unlocking is a one way street, it will not re-lock.
    01-13-12 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD