I am on Verizon, and currently have an 8330.

I was toying with getting an Android phone, or waiting for the iPhone that I last heard was coming in January. But, I really have loved my BlackBerry devices. I will admit, my phone isn't just for messaging. It's a toy, too.

Things that are important to me are a better camera and higher resolution video. I saw a video taken with a Torch that was at 640 x 480 resolution. I can't get a Torch with my carrier, but do the Bold, Tour, or Storm2 have that high of resolution video? I've read the specs, but I don't see that specified.

I'd like a faster browser, of course. I hear that the new OS has a much faster browser. Is that true?

I'd like one to work off of WiFi. Do the phones sense that they can use a WiFi hotspot or do you have to manually change it? Our wireless is secured. I imagine that I can program in the key and it will save it?

Thanks!
    09-09-10 11:18 AM
    If you go droid you will definitely miss bbm

I actually don't use BBM at all. The people that I talk to the most don't have BBs. One friend and I used it for a while, but I didn't think it was that much different than Yahoo IM or anything. She got a Droid so nobody else to talk to on it anyway.
    09-09-10 11:26 AM
    I have a Storm now and I was praying that Verizon was going to get the Storm 3, but, No such luck.
    The Storm 2 still has the virtual keyboard, and I want a physical keyboard. I figure that unless something happens real soon from Verizon and RIM, then I will be a proud owner of a Motorola Droid 2.
    09-09-10 11:47 AM
    Use the CB Search tool. Check around. Read. Read professional reviews, make a list of what you MUST have, what you'd LIKE to have and then compare the offerings. Then, go play with the devices. Finally, make up your own mind, don't expect people here to give you the answer.
    09-09-10 11:51 AM
    I did read the reviews, but I'm not finding out what I wanted to know about the video resolution in particular.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-10 11:54 AM
    To my knowledge, none of the devices you listed have "HD" video. Keep in mind that from what I've read, nothing out there really offers true "HD" though what they do have may be an improvement over standard fare. Same goes for photos. Don't be tricked by claims of Megapixels, those numbers are VERY misleading. As a professional photographer, I can assure you that the MP count itself is not a true barometer of the quality of the photo. It appears that photo/video is important to you and you might do better to invest in one of the new, relatively inexpensive point and shoot cameras, with video capability, than letting that criteria dictate your smartphone choice.
    09-09-10 12:10 PM
    To my knowledge, none of the devices you listed have "HD" video. Keep in mind that from what I've read, nothing out there really offers true "HD" though what they do have may be an improvement over standard fare. Same goes for photos. Don't be tricked by claims of Megapixels, those numbers are VERY misleading. As a professional photographer, I can assure you that the MP count itself is not a true barometer of the quality of the photo. It appears that photo/video is important to you and you might do better to invest in one of the new, relatively inexpensive point and shoot cameras, with video capability, than letting that criteria dictate your smartphone choice.

I already have cameras, and I'm aware that no phone camera will rival even the cheaper point and shoot cameras, but I know that they can be better than what I have now. The lame Motorola RIZR that I had before I moved to BlackBerry took much better pictures than either my 8130 or my current 8130. I also don't need HD video. I just want better than what I have for the occasions when my camera isn't with me or isn't handy.

I guess I should just rephrase it. I saw the video taken with a Torch here on Crackberry. The Video was taken at 640 x 480 resolution and looks great for things like sharing on Facebook. Video at that resolution even looks fairly decent burned onto a DVD so that my parents can watch our home movies. My Curve only takes video at 240 x 176. I want video like the Torch, but can't have the Torch because I am on Verizon.
    09-09-10 01:46 PM
    I can't blame you for wanting to stay on VZW. You couldn't pull me away for all the tea in China. So, that leaves you with two options. Switch to an Android device such as the X (nice phone, I liked it but choose to stay with BB) or, wait it out until this fall for updated BB devices. BTW, the X got some great reviews but there seemed to be some consistency with complaints about its camera (not sure about the videos). I would not recommend the S2 either, though I really like mine a lot, it's outdated and will be replaced soon enough so no point in buying what is soon to be extinct.

I already have cameras, and I'm aware that no phone camera will rival even the cheaper point and shoot cameras, but I know that they can be better than what I have now. The lame Motorola RIZR that I had before I moved to BlackBerry took much better pictures than either my 8130 or my current 8130. I also don't need HD video. I just want better than what I have for the occasions when my camera isn't with me or isn't handy.

I guess I should just rephrase it. I saw the video taken with a Torch here on Crackberry. The Video was taken at 640 x 480 resolution and looks great for things like sharing on Facebook. Video at that resolution even looks fairly decent burned onto a DVD so that my parents can watch our home movies. My Curve only takes video at 240 x 176. I want video like the Torch, but can't have the Torch because I am on Verizon.
    09-09-10 01:57 PM
    I don't believe any of those other devices you listed have the same resolution as the Torch, and you will probably find higher resolutions on other platforms, but as was stated before, specs aren't everything and can be very misleading.

I think it really boils down to what's more important, communications or multimedia? You get both with all 3 platforms (BB, Android and iPhone), but none of them excel in both areas. Android excels in multimedia but has very poor battery life, which makes it a big drawback as a phone in general. iPhone again excels in multimedia, but we all know what a poor phone it is. BB has very good battery life and excels in the communications area, but somewhat lacks in the multimedia arena.

Nothing's perfect, that's why there are so many choices, you can't please everybody.
    09-09-10 02:02 PM
    I can't blame you for wanting to stay on VZW. You couldn't pull me away for all the tea in China. So, that leaves you with two options. Switch to an Android device such as the X (nice phone, I liked it but choose to stay with BB) or, wait it out until this fall for updated BB devices. BTW, the X got some great reviews but there seemed to be some consistency with complaints about its camera (not sure about the videos). I would not recommend the S2 either, though I really like mine a lot, it's outdated and will be replaced soon enough so no point in buying what is soon to be extinct.

Yeah, I'm definitely sticking to Verizon for many reasons!

And, I guess I will wait and see what comes to Verizon this fall. I really want a Torch, though
    09-09-10 06:48 PM
    I have the Bold 9650 and I am very pleased with it. The screen resolution is great.
    I have a video on it that I took and it turned out great. The camera is a 3.2 and with a flash and it takes great pics. But what's even more important to me is that the phone clarity is supreme. It does it all and I love it. You will not regret getting this Bold should you check it out. It is sturdy, sleek, feels great in the hand.
    It is truly the best Blackberry Verizon sports on their network.

It has WifI the trackpad is responsive. Give it a glance and you will be hooked.
    09-09-10 08:04 PM
    9650 is a good phone. I have it on sprint. How much is it on Verizon? I don't know if I would pay top$ for it though. Also the 9650 is a bit dated and you will be stuck with it for 2 years.

09-09-10 09:27 PM
    Since you don't use BBM, you may want to get a droid if you've been toying with the idea, try it for the 30 day window, and see if you like it better than BB or not. If not then the Bold 9650 is probably the BB you'll want, or you can go back to your curve and wait for the Storm2 refresh or see if Verizon gets a Torch like device. I played with a torch for a very little bit yesterday because one of my vendors has one and the OS seemed like a big improvement over 5. OS 6 should be out for the 9650 and Storm refresh. You might be able to save money if your not using the BIS/BES features of a BB by going to a droid, but I don't know verizon's billing structure so maybe not.

The big thing is to get what is best for you, and with the wide range of smartphones available now and the differences in peoples needs and preferences its hard for anyone to say get A or B for someone else.
    09-10-10 06:40 AM
    9650 is a good phone. I have it on sprint. How much is it on Verizon? I don't know if I would pay top$ for it though. Also the 9650 is a bit dated and you will be stuck with it for 2 years.

Stafinois -

As to pricing on the Bold 9650, I just purchased one yesterday from Amazon. The total price was $79.99, no tax and free 2-Day shipping. As long as you are on Verizon and at least one of your phones is eligible for an upgrade you get that price from Amazon.

I tried dealing directly with Verizon Wireless and they wanted $149.00 for the "upgrade price" and they would not price-match. I don't blame the young fellow who was helping me; he explained he just could not do it. No worries, went to Amazon and got the above deal.

To me, it is worth $80 bucks to try out the Bold 9650 - give it a whirl!
    09-10-10 08:50 AM
    + 1 for the 9650, if I was eligible I would get it. I came from an 8330 as well and my S2 has been great, but with my fat fingers the touchscreen is a challenge, so I am considering going "back" to a non-touch screen like the 9650.
    09-12-10 06:29 AM
    I swear the SureType keyboard on the S2 has keys much bigger than any keypad on a qwerty BB. Anyway, to each his own.
    09-12-10 06:50 AM
    To both BBBiker and Graphite: It's always interesting to see how what works for some, doesn't not work for others. That only points to just how difficult it is for the human engineers at RIM and any manufacturer, to try and "please the masses." It's all perfectly understandable, but what a challenge!

I held off on buying a BB for YEARS because every Qwerty keyboard I tried, the keys were simply too small. I did get a World Edition for a short bit, but got rid of it in frustration over the keys. It was not until the Jesus Phone came out that I realized a touch screen might be the answer (thank you for at least that, Apple). But there was no way I was going with Apple OR AT&T. When the S1 came out, my wishes were granted and I've been hooked on both the 1 and 2 ever since. Yet here, Biker says it's too difficult for his fingers...LOL...I understand Biker, but I have large, large fingers as well and the Storm works for me. Just makes you wonder how each of us have different preferences. Oh yeah, and I love SurePress as well.
    09-12-10 02:55 PM
    I was a dedicated bb user/lover for years, until I got my Droid X. It is so much more enjoyable and reliable. The apps that are available are amazing, not just the number of them, but the useful things they do. RIMS entire business model is built around the needs of large corporations and BES, and they fill that need very well. Googles business model is built around what individuals want.

In regards to web browsing, comparing the droid to bb is like comparing a wired network connection to a 14.4 phone line modem.

The video on my X is absolutely amazing. The color and clarity cannot compare to what My Storm 2 produces.

These are just my opinions. You need to go to a store, play with the phones, get whatever you like best and trade it for something else (withing your 30 day window) if your not happy.
    Last edited by grey; 09-12-10 at 04:18 PM.
    09-12-10 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD