I have two 8330's, one personal and one is through my work. I have the latest and greatest OS on my personal Curve but would like to upgrade the work 8330.

Is this something I can do without causing trouble with the IT dept?

If it goes the way I want, I'd just dump OS 4.5 on the device and nothing else would be disrupted. Is that possible or will it screw with the policy? I'd hate to give it a shot and then have to go to the IT dept and say that it's not syncing anymore and don't know why.

Thanks.
    02-04-09 09:47 AM
    You will have to enterprise activation again once the new OS is loaded. Not a huge pain but you will have to make contact with them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 11:14 AM
    I reckon this is a bad idea. Your BES Admin(s) may frown on this, and you may be in violation of your company's IT security policy. It would make more sense to talk to them first to see if they're willing to upgrade it for you.
    02-04-09 01:05 PM
    My hubby just did this the other day. I upgraded him to ver. 4.5 and it knocked him off the BES, so he just had to have the IT guy put him back on. They don't ask why or even look at your version, they just put you back on.

I'd say go for it, then take it in to IT and tell them you got bumped off the server and hook you back up. That should be it.
    02-04-09 01:12 PM
    And next time IT does a device audit, or you call for some sort of support and they see your OS version on the BES...

Talk to them first. They may not care, but then again they may have a policy against it.
    02-04-09 01:18 PM
    You guys are no fun. J/K.

Thanks for the heads-up.
    02-04-09 08:04 PM
    Seriously, unless you work for the government, then upgrading the OS will not be a big deal.
    02-04-09 08:05 PM
    Seriously, unless you work for the government, then upgrading the OS will not be a big deal.
    Not entirely accurate. But once you do activate they can see your OS version, and if it is not approved, you can be removed from the BES. (We do it here)
    02-04-09 08:10 PM
    It is a big deal, somewhat, because there are better themes for 4.5 as well as certain apps. Not to mention HTML, etc.

I just saw that Sprint released 4.5 today so the IT dept should be more willing to upgrade the OS since it's not a beta version.
    02-04-09 08:19 PM
    yeah every device's os shows up in the bes manager, so without bringing them the device they can see your os build.

in my company you are written up for modifying your blackberry (especially upgrading the OS) and 2 write ups and your fired. so its pretty serious.
    02-04-09 08:25 PM
    My hubby just did this the other day. I upgraded him to ver. 4.5 and it knocked him off the BES, so he just had to have the IT guy put him back on. They don't ask why or even look at your version, they just put you back on.

I'd say go for it, then take it in to IT and tell them you got bumped off the server and hook you back up. That should be it.
    Not to be rude, but this ranks as some of the worst BlackBerry advice ever given. The way your husband's company handles their BlackBerry security policies have no bearing over how the OP's company handles theirs. Screwing with his company provided, BES attached, IT policy enforced BlackBerry's settings could cost him his job.
    02-04-09 09:09 PM
    Well, I would upgrade my OS. Of course he could ASK IT if it's fine, but if he doesn't want to do that then he could upgrade the OS and if there was a problem he could admit he wasn't aware that he wasn't supposed to. Obviously if he's asking here, then there is no written policy at his company that he's aware of.
    02-04-09 09:17 PM
    It is a big deal, somewhat, because there are better themes for 4.5 as well as certain apps. Not to mention HTML, etc.

I just saw that Sprint released 4.5 today so the IT dept should be more willing to upgrade the OS since it's not a beta version.

I agree! I meant that unless you work someplace that it is expressly written to NOT UPGRADE YOUR BLACKBERRY'S OS" then you'll probably be fine doing it. If they said anything then you can just admit you didn't know you weren't supposed to.

I mean really, it is a phone's OS, not the info on it, and why wouldn't they want a phone to have the most updated "offical" OS since they only get better and better. Seems to me that if the IT guys were really blackberry fans then they would line the people up when a new OS came out.

Or maybe I just like blackberrys more than the next guy, lol.
    02-04-09 09:20 PM
    My phone is on BES and when I upgrade mine the phone has to be connected to the work computer with me logged in with desktop manager installed. In the e-mail settings part of desktop manager your work email address must be in the box that says EMAIL ACCOUNT I had to select override address if it’s not already in there then click apply then all the policies began to install. Works like a charm for me and I’m still employed………LOL
    02-04-09 09:25 PM
    My phone is on BES and when I upgrade mine the phone has to be connected to the work computer with me logged in with desktop manager installed. In the e-mail settings part of desktop manager your work email address must be in the box that says EMAIL ACCOUNT I had to select override address if it�s not already in there then click apply then all the policies began to install. Works like a charm for me and I�m still employed���LOL

Ah Ha! A crackberry lover after my own heart!
    02-04-09 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD