- CrackBerry User
- 70 Posts
Upgrade from OS 6 to OS 7?
I need people's advice, I decided earlier that I was gonna wait for the BBC 10 phones but have decided that the wait is a little bit too long for me, therefore I was thinking of buying a new phone off contract. But I wanna know if the is 7 devices are a big upgrade compared to OS 6. I wanted to get the new Bold to replace my 9800.
ThankyouHistory; Samsung Hype -> RAZR -> LG Xenon -> Nokia C3 -> 9000 -> 9300 -> 9800 + PlayBook -> Nexus S -> Bold 9780
- 03-14-12, 09:03 AM #2
I'm in the same boat. I have another thread about this same issue. Os7 is a big upgrade. Especially from the 9800 to the 9900.
Its a lot faster also.
Go for it. You won't be disapointed. Then next time you are up for an upgrade get the bb10 phone. I think newer and better ones will be available by then.
- 03-14-12, 09:06 AM #4
In a word: yup. I had a 9800 and went to the 9810, and there was a very noticeable improvement in performance all around. Then I tried the 9900 and the 9810 has been in a box ever since. 9900 keyboard is awesome. OS is smooth and responsive. I don't miss the extra display size of the Torch, though I know I can't speak for everybody. Just my opinion: definitely worth upgrading to BB7.
- 03-14-12, 09:06 AM #5
OS 7 is pretty sweet. No regrets about purchasing a 9900. Go for it. Can't waste time wondering about a device that isn't even out yet.Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v184.108.40.2064) | Rooted SGS IV
- CrackBerry Addict
03-14-12, 09:07 AM #6
- 584 Posts
- 03-14-12, 09:08 AM #7
BB7 is certainly faster. If you want your OS6 to be faster, then go to OS7. Personally, I don't think it's a significant upgrade compared to what OS7 will be to BB10.
I wouldn't feel comfortable getting locked into an OS7 device for 2 years. It hasn't been future proofed at all and has no chance of getting BB10. Again, that's just me and my opinion.
Edit: I forgot that the 9900 series has 3G+. I was thinking in terms of the 9930. Still, it will lack 4G LTE tech for 2 years. Doesn't change my overall opinion.
Last edited by brucep1; 03-14-12 at 09:10 AM.I survived the Storm of 2008 and the PlayBook of 2011.
- 03-14-12, 09:09 AM #8
Definitely upgrade to an OS7 phone with 3G+ network speed. The phones are much faster
You can break contracts early. I broke my 3 year contract after 12 months
When BB10 phones come out there will most likely be carrier deals for BB users wanting to switch to that phone.
The wait is much easier with an OS7 phone
Last edited by anthogag; 03-14-12 at 09:12 AM.
- 03-14-12, 09:28 AM #9
OS7 all the way.
I bought my OS7 device last year full price because my upgrade eligibility kicks in early next year.
While it was a bit over 600, I haven't regretted the decision for a second. This phone fits my uses really well.
If you can wait however, then wait and last with your current phone. And then either go for BB10 or get an OS7 phone at that point as they will probably be cheaper.
- 03-14-12, 12:49 PM #11
I am in the exact same boat. I have the 9800 and it's a tank. Great phone. But I played with the 9850 at the store and was really impressed. I've been looking on Craigslist off contract. I do think OS 7 is a big upgrade but it's tough to justify 400 when you've got a pretty good phone.
- 03-14-12, 12:54 PM #12
I'm in the same boat also. I have a perfectly fine 9800 that honestly doesn't get that much use and I want to get a 9900. I don't need it but I sure do want it. Would the different OS make much of a difference (if any) with the PlayBook away from home where there is no WIFI?
- 03-14-12, 02:11 PM #13
If cost is an issue you could consider the Curve.
I decided to go with the Curve in order to save some money to buy a BB10 phone with when it hits.
The os7 Curve out performs the os6 Bold/torch but by a narrower margin than the top shelf os7 phones.
I'm perfectly happy with my Curve and am glad to be a step ahead in my savings for BB10.
Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
- 03-15-12, 01:03 PM #20
I did it, had an OS6 9700. Fact is I am typing on crackberry with my new 9860 and that's something I would never have bothered attempting with my old Bold. I got mine off craigslist though. No contract extension for me.
- 03-15-12, 06:49 PM #24
I was waiting for BB10 as well but decided to upgrade from 9700 to 9860 a couple of months ago and don't regret it at all. Of course my decision was helped by the fact that I got the 9860 off contract at employee pricing and I'll still be able to upgrade to BB10 a few months after it's available when my contract expires in Feb 2013.