Overview

Get more and do more with your BlackBerry� smartphone with device software updates. Enjoy refreshed looks, improved application layouts and better access to files, websites, contact lists and more. Additionally, updating your device also allows access to new features and enhanced functionality.

By updating the software on your smartphone, you’ll have access to new features and functions. Updating your BlackBerry� Device Software is free and easy.

From Your Computer

Update Your Device Software from your Computer

Quick and convenient, you can update your BlackBerry� smartphone device software from your desktop computer.

1. Visit the Upgrade Your Device Software and click on “Check For Updates” From Internet Explorer
    2. Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable and enter your device’s PIN number.
    3. If a software upgrade is available for your device, select Options to add any device software applications

Once you’ve updated your device software, you’ll be able to do more, and do it faster, with your BlackBerry smartphone.

From Your BlackBerry Smartphone

Update Your Device Software from your BlackBerry Smartphone

1. Select options on your smartphone’s home screen.
    2. Click advanced options.
    3. Select wireless upgrade and follow the instructions.

Please note that depending on your service plan, data charges may apply when downloading the update over the wireless network.

BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Professional Software Users

If your BlackBerry� smartphone is integrated with a BlackBerry� Enterprise Server or BlackBerry� Professional Software, your IT department may have plans for updating your smartphone’s software already.

Learn more about updating your smartphone software in an enterprise
    Other BlackBerry Smartphone Users

1. With your smartphone disconnected, click the Check for Updates button below.
    2. When prompted, select Run to install the drivers.
    3. When prompted, select Run to start the update process.

Please note: Until the update is complete, you will not be able to use your BlackBerry smartphone. Should you unplug or cancel the update process before completion, your smartphone may be unusable and you may need to restart the update process to regain use of your device.

Using this software and any updates or upgrades as provided by Research In Motion Limited or any of its affiliates ("RIM") is subject to the BlackBerry Software License Agreement ("BBSLA"), unless otherwise stated. The BBSLA is available at BlackBerry - BlackBerry | BlackBerry.com Legal Notices from Research in Motion (RIM).
    Other BlackBerry Smartphone Users

This page requires Windows� Internet Explorer� v5.5 or later, running on Windows�.

If you want to update your BlackBerry Device Software, you will need to revisit this page using Windows Internet Explorer.

Updating Your BlackBerry Device Software (Enterprise Users)

If your BlackBerry� smartphone is integrated with a BlackBerry� Enterprise Server or BlackBerry� Professional Software, your IT department may have plans for updating your smartphone’s software already.

Please consult with the appropriate people within your organization prior to updating.
    Updating Your Smartphone’s Software

Before updating your BlackBerry� Device Software, you will need to ensure you have BlackBerry� Desktop Software installed on your computer.

* Learn about and download BlackBerry Desktop Software

Once you have BlackBerry Desktop Software installed, you’re ready to update your smartphone's software.

To update, click the link below and enter your device PIN in the field provided to find out if your service provider is offering BlackBerry Device Software for your smartphone. If your smartphone supports this software, you will be directed to your service provider’s download page.

Check BlackBerry Device Software Availability
    Last edited by kingakuma; 10-08-09 at 03:57 PM.
    10-08-09 03:53 PM
    I have a buddy on Verizon, has an 8300...He wants to update his OS wirelessly, but under advanced options there is no Wireless update option, I had him resend service books but still nothing, what can we do? He lost his sync cable and never installed BB desktop
    10-08-09 11:21 PM
    OS installs need to be done by USB.
    All he needs is a generic USB to MiniUSB cable.
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager can be downloaded for free.

The the FAQ.
    10-08-09 11:42 PM
    I have a buddy on Verizon, has an 8300...He wants to update his OS wirelessly, but under advanced options there is no Wireless update option, I had him resend service books but still nothing, what can we do? He lost his sync cable and never installed BB desktop

4.5.0.131 + is where wireless update has been implemented rim is just starting to allow wireless updates
    10-09-09 10:09 AM
    I think I'll stick with the tethered update. What happens if you lose your signal during the wireless or you have issues while installing? The DM allows you to backtrack and fix issues that you cannot do if you don't have them.

Using the safe common sense approach seems best to me.
    10-09-09 11:51 AM
    I think I'll stick with the tethered update. What happens if you lose your signal during the wireless or you have issues while installing? The DM allows you to backtrack and fix issues that you cannot do if you don't have them.

Using the safe common sense approach seems best to me.
    I fully agree. Besides, I need the updated OS on my computer if I want to add/remove applications. So ultimately, I would still need the actual file.
    10-09-09 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD