Hey Folks,

Been searching around here and elsewhere for the past few days with no effective results, so I figured it might be time to see if anyone has any input for me.

Running an AT&T 9700 on the original .296 OS (hoping to get input on this issue one way or another before upgrading). Currently I am experiencing an unstable connection to Blackberry Infrastructure while connected to my home wireless router (linksys). When turning the wi-fi radio on on the device, it will usually connect after a few minutes, and typically maintain a connection for 10-20 minutes. Following this, it will remain connected to the router (at least according to wi-fi diagnostics on the device) but lose the connection to the blackberry infrastructure. Periodically, it will re-connect to blackberry infrastructure on it's own for similarly short periods of time. It appears to be connected to the router the entire time (i've never noted it not connected to the router when checking wi-fi diagnostics, which I have done repeatedly).

The general input I've found through searching tends to suggest either a problem with data plans (mine is fine, as the device works on edge or 3G) or with the router. I don't believe this is the problem, as I have 3 PCs and my wife's iPhone which all seem to have no problems. Unless someone knows of specific router settings which might cause this problem for Blackberry infrastructure but not impact non-BB devices?

Hoping someone has some suggestions for me - unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to try my wi-fi connection at any other hotspots or home routers yet to try to determine if it is just my home location or all wi-fi connections.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mainiak
    12-20-09 06:43 PM
    Does the device have a proper IP assigned to it both when WiFi works and when it doesn't (192.x*, 10.x*, 172.x*)? If it's pulling an IP in, say, the 169.* range then the problem is likely between device and router.
    12-20-09 07:20 PM
    Does the device have a proper IP assigned to it both when WiFi works and when it doesn't (192.x*, 10.x*, 172.x*)? If it's pulling an IP in, say, the 169.* range then the problem is likely between device and router.
    this is exactly what I would check it may be losing its ip address and then you may need a new router
    12-20-09 07:25 PM
    Currently wifi is working on the device. IP is assigned by dhcp from the router and is in the range configured for dhcp on the router. I don't recall noting an incorrect IP address when not connected before but will note it next time I drop the blackberry connection.

After posting I found some info on bb using port 443. I tweaked my router settings to give priority on port 443. Also enabled mmw QoS option.

Just dropped connection as I type this, but came back. Had been up for about 40 minutes this time. IP was still correct while connection was down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-09 07:49 PM
    Just an update:

Upgraded OS to ATT official .405 with no improvement noted in behavior.

I am currently poaching my neighbor's unsecured wifi, at about half the signal strength of my own. It is a belkin router (I only know this as he has not changed the default network name). Have been connected now for about an hour without a dropped connection. This leads me to believe the problem is with my router or router settings.

Anyone have any ideas? Would rather not just replace the router.

Thanks

12-24-09 05:23 PM
    I have the same issue with my wifi running .405. I know it's not my router or internet connection since my old Bold 9000 and computers are running perfectly fine. Maybe there's still some issues with Rim since the outage?

12-24-09 07:09 PM
    I only wish I could suspect that were the case, but I've had the problem since before the outage. And I'm still connected via my neighbor's wifi. Much better performance via this connection. Not really a legitimate long term fix though.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Happy Holidays.

12-24-09 07:41 PM
    Try deleting the wifi profile, do a reset and create the profile again. I just tried this and seems to be a little more stable but will still go in and out occasionally.

Now I'm thinking there's some bug in the 5.0.xxx OS that is causing this to happen.

12-24-09 09:36 PM
    Don't scan for networks, manually input your SSID and encryption key.
    I know its simple but it worked for me on my network.
    01-03-10 01:43 PM
    Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem since I installed a new router (Linksys WRT160NL). I suppose the problem is due to the router settings. The connection to the router is stable, but not with the blackberry infrastructure.

I'm currently working on this issue and will post my results here. Meanwhile any help is appreciated.

Trix
    02-01-10 03:51 AM
    Hey Folks,

Been searching around here and elsewhere for the past few days with no effective results, so I figured it might be time to see if anyone has any input for me.

Running an AT&T 9700 on the original .296 OS (hoping to get input on this issue one way or another before upgrading). Currently I am experiencing an unstable connection to Blackberry Infrastructure while connected to my home wireless router (linksys). When turning the wi-fi radio on on the device, it will usually connect after a few minutes, and typically maintain a connection for 10-20 minutes. Following this, it will remain connected to the router (at least according to wi-fi diagnostics on the device) but lose the connection to the blackberry infrastructure. Periodically, it will re-connect to blackberry infrastructure on it's own for similarly short periods of time. It appears to be connected to the router the entire time (i've never noted it not connected to the router when checking wi-fi diagnostics, which I have done repeatedly).

The general input I've found through searching tends to suggest either a problem with data plans (mine is fine, as the device works on edge or 3G) or with the router. I don't believe this is the problem, as I have 3 PCs and my wife's iPhone which all seem to have no problems. Unless someone knows of specific router settings which might cause this problem for Blackberry infrastructure but not impact non-BB devices?

Hoping someone has some suggestions for me - unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to try my wi-fi connection at any other hotspots or home routers yet to try to determine if it is just my home location or all wi-fi connections.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mainiak
    Hey Mainiak,

I just bought the bold 9700 trading in my curve 8900 and was facing similar issues...currently I am using a 2g bb plan since 8900 was a 2g handset and I never had any unstable wifi issues on it. In the 9700 I just played around with the mobile network option settings in manage connections tab and I saw that the network mode was 2g and 3g i changed it to just "2g" and the wifi seems to be stable now been few hours its been on. I am migrating to the 3g plan in 2 weeks time, I guess then I have to change the option to just "3g" and hopefully there wont be any issues - fingers crossed. So I definitely think its a issue of compatability of data plans with the handset.
    If you figured out an other workaroung let me know.

Cheers,
    MD
    03-06-10 08:36 AM
    I have a T-mo 9700. I have the same issue. I still have WIFI connection just sometimes the BIS will drop. Sometimes it will comeback on its own sometimes I have to turn off then on the wifi to get it to work. My wifes 8900 and my old 8900 did the same. I know it is not the internet connection as I have my desktop, 2 laptops, PS3 and Xbox 360 all run through the same router. My router is a Linksys WRT-54Gv3. Current OS 9700 .442/8900 .509 & 4.6.1.231. I have never tested it on any other router to see if it is linksys specific. I have turned on SSID broadcast and that did help alot but still have the same issue. Current encryption is WPA. Has anyone tried Linksys routers with other firmware like tomato?
    03-10-10 11:25 AM
    Has anyone tried Linksys routers with other firmware like tomato?

Im currently experiencing these same issues with the Linksys WRT 45 using dd-wrt. If I reset the router, it connects to the infrastructure right away. After a couple hours, or if I go out and come home. It doesnt seem to connect at all.

When I first got the phone and hadn't updated the OS and installed other software, it connected very quickly and consistently.

Annoying problem. Hard to find the source of the issue.
    07-28-10 05:35 PM
    I am having the same problem with a 9650. Did anyone solve this?
    01-14-11 10:22 AM
    I have a Blackberry Bold 9870. with Linksys WRT 600N Firmware 1.01.36 build 3.
    I have had a similar issue on my blackberry device, no wifi or wifi connection dropping out constantly.

Other devices have no issues on wifi. I have rebooted my Linksys router and this has solved the issue, As i currently have a steady connection via wifi again and i can track my wifi usage using "NetworkTrafficControl" app, so that it isn't eating my 3G bandwidth.
    Given that my router had an up time of about 2 weeks i would say that perhaps the fault lies with the router.

I cannot verify this though due to the lack of logging ability that the Linksys home router firmware has compared to that of a say enterprise level CISCO gear...
    I know on certain linksys routers there was an issue in the past with BitTorrent. every bit torrent handshake was being logged in a verbose format causing the routers log file in ram to grow to large very quickly and cause the router to fall over, requiring a reboot to temporary fix, so maybe the problem is similar?
    12-06-11 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD